Author Topic: Inspection Services  (Read 2082 times)

dalekerr

• View Profile
Inspection Services
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
I recently purchased a 1967 Camaro and had it shipped to me from Denver. Before my purchase I googled classic car inspection services for Denver. I called and talked to one with great ratings the inspector Gary assured me he had the knowledge and experience to do the job and give me a honest opinion of the vehicle.
I asked him to check it out well, body, electrical and mechanical, he said he always does. He called me after his inspection and said the only two things were tires showed some wear and the interior was original. Told me it was worth more than they were asking.
Upon his advice I negotiated a purchase price arangened payment, had the car shipped to me.
The car came with starter fluid and needed a shot before it would start for unloading.
Well now the known issues.
I had to replace the carburetor
Car is leaking oil bad at fuel pump gasket. I will replace Next week.
No back up switch on transmission. Installed today
Defroster control is broken will replace soon
Radio and tachometer would lose power when the clutch was pushed all the way in. Rerouted wiring this morning
Gas gauge does not work properly, will replace sending unit next week
Gas tank leaks, has a bolt stuck in it, will replace next week
Brakes were pulling to the right bad. Front end noise. Tie rod was fixing to fall off tightened, adjusted brakes and reinstalled rear springs properly.
Spitting coolant out after driving each time. Radiator needs roded out, on list to have done.
Speedometer is off says 55 doing 64 ordered proper gear to correct.

Ok you get the idea.
Needless to say I stopped payment to the inspector with my credit card company.

The good body is in great shape, no real issues.

Learn from my experience, if you hire an inspector do not hire Gary!
Dale Kerr
1967 Y 2 350 M20 12 Bolt Vintage Air
03D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Inspection Services
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
Ok, Gary who? With what company?

Jerry MacNeish or Steve Shauger would be trusted guys. Other than them, vet out anyone you are going to use.

If the car has a good body, I would say your still in good shape.

Any pics?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

dalekerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/chevrolet/266839-1967-chevrolet-camaro-butternut-yellow-matchs-327-muncie-4-speed.html

Hers is the car 2 years ago.  I bought the car from a Widow, her husband had just spent 6K on it new oil pan, rack and pinion steering, new shocks plugs, distrubuter, wires and rear brakes. The car looks good and clean just not fully restored as advertised. I will work out the issues. Just thought I was buying a ready to go driver, did a frame off restroration last time 68 L48 numbers matching. I was not planning on buying a prijexct car.

Gary told me he was President of a local old car club and loved cars. He must pay someone to fix them for him!
Dale Kerr
1967 Y 2 350 M20 12 Bolt Vintage Air
03D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
Well it looks good in those pics. Different car inspectors all have different levels of expertise and knowledge, and how far they will dig into a car to have a thorough report. How much were gary's services?

Some guys just specialize in Camaros, some are just classic car inspectors, and have general knowledge.

Did you specify what you wanted inspected before he went out?

Were you more interested in the numbers of the car, or how everything functioned?

One inspector may specialize more in function vs. numbers matching. You kind of have to know what you want scrutinized ahead of time, or have different inspectors for the different aspects you want looked at carefully.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
I have posted this advice several times for others.

If you are serious about purchasing a car, a personal onsite inspection is needed! Most of us don’t have money to burn.

I have purchased 2 cars in my life based on just pics. It worked out great once, and not so great another time. Food for thought.

Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything