Author Topic: 1967 defrost duct mounting picture needed  (Read 3033 times)

manyc

• View Profile
    • Relic Recyclery
1967 defrost duct mounting picture needed
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
I am working on a 67 rs/ss convertible that was gutted of all it's interior when it was converted to a drag car. I am in the process of gathering all of the missing interior pieces to properly bring it back to its original condition.  I recently got a good used defroster "Y" duct and a heater box.  I also bought a nice repo firewall insulation from Camaro Specialties.

I've had to make some repairs to the firewall, so I need drill some holes and test fit the defrost duct and heater box before paint.  I need to see what the lower bracket mounting looks like with the heater box out.  Is there supposed to be cutout in the firewall insulation ? Does it screw through the insulation ? etc.  The AIM for 67 is no help.  All the pictures I can find online are for a 69, which has the braccket screwed to the heater box and not the firewall.

thanks
Chris

Obsessed amature restorer. Cars include 1969 Firebird 350 Conv, 1967 Camaro RS/SS conv Blue-Topper, several limited edition 1969 Mustangs, Panther Pink 1970 Challenger, 1963 Jaguar E-Type.

"If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can!"

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
Re: 1967 defrost duct mounting picture needed
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:03 PM »
As per the AIM, UPC1, sheet A7, page 30, the duct fastens to the dash (view A), but I will check on my 67 as it's apart, and get back to you. Sorry, couldn't find any pics, but will look at the actual parts, screws, etc.

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
The two upper screws actually go through the backside of the cowl panel, just below the defroster outlets in the dash, while the lower attachment area is fastened through the firewall insulation mat, going through the actual cowl with the screw - hope this helps. BTW this must be installed prior to just about anything else under the dash, with the exception of the insulation mat. Forgot to mention, my original mat has a cutout in it for the bottom screw / mounting bracket of the duct assy.(I don't see this hole on a repo mat). My car has standard heater - no AC. PM me if you need pics of the actual parts, etc. my email is in my profile.

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
PM sent.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:26:28 AM »
Here are pictures of the three defroster duct mounting points in my '68. At the time I took these pictures, I don't believe it had ever been removed from the car before.

Sorry about the huge size of the pictures. You have to scroll left/right to see everything. Since not being able to host pictures on Photobucket, I have been storing them on Team Camaro. When I post on Team Camaro, the picture size is fine. Here on CRG they are too big and I don't know how to fix that.

Dave