Author Topic: Holley Carb Leak?  (Read 12796 times)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Holley Carb Leak?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
That ball is a check valve. Get it back in. At least you know now where the fuel is leaking. Not familiar with the check ball , maybe it blocks your booster port. I also think that booster screw is special.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
If I am reading this right, fuel is coming out of the accelerator pump squirter nozzles, not the boosters.

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
He did say that.My thought was it probably dripping from the boosters though. It makes some sense,especially if he hadn't snugged the bowl screws back up.He mentioned it was not a problem at first. I've never heard of shooters dripping when the car was off. The boosters,yes.

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »
Now that I think about it, if the accelerator pump was adjusted so there was tension on the pump lever at rest, could it be forcing fuel up thru the shooter when the engine was off?

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
Now that I think about it, if the accelerator pump was adjusted so there was tension on the pump lever at rest, could it be forcing fuel up thru the shooter when the engine was off?

Yes I think so.

I think there is more than one issue going on with this carb.  What gaskets were used?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »

The accelerator pump lever should always have tension on it at rest. Slack at all will cause a flat spot.  The adjustment spec is there to prevent bottoming out at wide open throttle AND prevent any slack in the linkage. They should not pump out fuel at all when the car is shut off.

Cold engine shut off and still pumps fuel out the accelerator nozzles will eliminate heat as a source of the problem.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
Not from what I have done for 40 years. No tension. Touching - but no tension.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
Aggree, touching, but able to move the arm back and forth. Over adjustment sounds like the problem, also wouldnt be getting the full shot of fuel(30 cc is it ?)....flat.

Thought the old 4053's had base plate issues. Also metering blocks don't stay true forever. We use vitron tipped needle and seats. And have a box of the "reusable" bowl and block gaskets in the trailer. Used to be blue, now come in black.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:45 AM »
Guys the issue is with the secondary side unless I am completely wrong with what Danny is describing.  On a 4053 there is no accelerator pump & no squirter on the secondaries.  Replace the needle and seat, reset the float level, replace the pv along with gasket.  Report back and I bet the issue will be resolved assuming the secondary throttle blades haven't been adjusted correctly.  Also the check ball is for the secondary diaphragm pod.  No offense Danny but when you started having issues you should have either pulled the carb for someone to inspect or reached out to someone to come help you with the diagnosis..  There is some mis-identifying of part names causing an issue of people trying to help solve the your problem.  Holley carbs are one of the most basic carbs on the market and also one of the easiest to tune. 

Also while we are at it on the primary accelerator pump adjustment.  At WOT you should have 0.015" additional travel on the arm.  That is just as important as having instant pressure applied by the arm to the diaphragm vs just touching the diaphragm. 

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 12:34:45 AM »
Yes that’s absolutely correct Darrell.

I always think double pumper. That what I am running on my car now, an 850 cfm that flows just a bit more than that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:24:48 AM by bcmiller »

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 01:07:43 AM »
Good catch Darrell.OP get rid of that liquid filled gauge.Check your pressure again, the bowl screws,and the pv gaskets.I'm not sure if your setting your float level correctly.Call Holley or better yet a good carb shop to make sure on your method.And I think your baseplate/throttle shafts are worn.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 01:27:32 AM »
FYI if the shafts were worn then it would be a vacuum leak..  Has nothing to do with fuel being pulled into the venturi. More so the lack of fuel being pulled in..  Also Secondary shafts very rarely wear like the primaries..  Also nothing wrong with liquid filled gauge as long as heat isn't involved with the accuracy..

RS Copo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 01:53:39 AM »
Who says he does not have a vacuum leak?  Shafts should not leak gas. As far as liquid filled gauges, I've seen on my own car as well as one other they can be a problem.When I ran one,I was told by more than one respected stock eliminator racer to get it off my car.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:46 AM »
 ???

Im not gonna get in a pissing match but you do not know what you are talking about.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out Danny..

As for the liquid filled gauge you are comparing stock eliminator racers to average enthusiasts.. I will stand behind my statement when heat isn't an issue.  Racing is a completely different scenario and I am aware of both.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 05:11:01 AM »
Update... There is some good points here, and as always, I have learned a lot. If I can float my own boat for a few lines... I am a 25 year Journeyman Plumber, with an enormous amount of common sense, mechanical ability and working knowledge in all trades. I had top secret clearance on some nuclear carriers back in the early 90's. I don't watch sports. Never seen a football game all the way thru. In 58 years, never been high, was the lead singer of a rock band for 7 years and never did any drugs, had BAGS of Cocaine passed under my nose, never tried it, never experimented with ANYTHING. I drink 20 beers a year, and maybe the same glasses of wine. I AM a MACHINE!! People ask me how I know SO much about SO many things. I tell them cause I am not sitting in front of the TV all weekend for the last 30 years watching sports  ;D Someone called me and asked me why HOT water was coming out of the cold side of their faucet. And I knew in ONE second what the cause was. But... I am just not a great CAR mechanic, a shade tree mechanic at best. I used to really like 500 Carter AFB's and when a Holley is set-up, it really is great. I never rebuilt an engine in auto shop. I am still learning.. I don't like to see you guys get heated. So sorry about that..
With that said... I ALWAYS seem to get these crazy little gremlins, it never fails.
 Of course when I looked inside the carb and seen the secondary blades covered in fresh fuel... I then looked outside the shaft on both sides and fuel began to slowly come out. If you look at my video from my first post, you will see it. So if the blades are closed, and you walk out and spill a little fuel in the secondary side of the carb, it WILL come out both sides. And I do remember setting up my other carb with the 15 thousands on wide open throttle on the accelerator pump. You need SOME play or it may bottom out. But not my issue as this is vacuum secondary as mentioned previously. Sprayed the throttle shaft at an idle and no change, so no vac leak there. Installed another pressure gauge made by Holley, and it read the same as the Marshall. The Quick-Fuel regulator comes preset at 6.5. When I cut it into the line, the Marshall read exactly 6.5! It seems to be a good one.
 I took the carb off of Raquel and put it on Melissa. I then took the carb back to the rebuilder Friday. I drove the car to him today at 3pm and we installed the carb back on. Fired it up and let it run a minute. Shut it down and there was NO leakage, and the throttle blades stayed dry. Fired it back up and let it run for a while to operating temp, shut it off, STILL no leakage. I asked him what he did and he said he put the ball back in the secondary pod. And he said he cleaned and looked at EVERYTHING he possibly could and found no issue. So decided the only internal moving part was the PV, so he changed it. I was going to do that next as my vac is 11 at an idle. So I was going to change out the 6.5's and throw in some 5.5's or 6.0's. Maybe even 5.0.. My PV tester has no gauge. So maybe it just held for a second, and I thought it was good and released it and watched it bounce back. You can bet I am going to go get a good one ASAP.
I wish I knew for sure if it was the ball or the PV. Drove it home 15 miles, pulled it in the garage and checked again, no leakage. Issue at least for now is solved. Hope it stays that way. Thanx to all of you for the help. Stay tuned for a new post on the new car, and everything I have done to it since Easter... Danny