Author Topic: 25 Camaros For Sale at Estate Sale  (Read 16516 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Camaros For Sale at Estate Sale
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
I got a '68 from Merle's estate. It was an original LeMans blue '68 Z with 714 interior, repainted Nantucket or Grotto blue at one point and finally black somewhere along the line. An 07B car, VIN 124378L347636 , the NCRS report says it was sold new at Dana Chevrolet in South Gate, California. Title looked like Merle got it in 2001. Blue CA license plate ( 388UEG ) shows registration expired in 1989. I don't know any history prior to Merle's ownership but would love to find out. The car had slot mags prior to the 5-spoke mags.

Jon,
I knew Merle quite well. Bought parts from him, and also dated his daughter in the 1990's. His business/shop was called ABC Mobile Brake on Deering Ave in Canoga Park. This is were he stored all of his cars/parts before his divorce. I do remember your car! Sorry, I can't offer anymore info.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
Thanks, Scott. I did know about Merle's brake business but never went there to check out his cars back in the day.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2019, 09:25:01 PM »
I found more history on the car. I know several guys who worked for the old Petersen Publishing Co and still work in the magazine business. Since some of them lived (and still do live) in the San Fernando Valley, I asked them if they recognized the car from my 1984 pictures. One said yes, that looks like my friend Doug Starks' old car from Canoga Park. We checked with Doug and he agreed it was his old car that he bought back in 1977. He saw it advertised in the LA Times (Sept 25, 1977) and it was down in Orange County. The phone numbers appear to be from Westminster but they got the car in Placentia which is next to Fullerton and above Anaheim. They went down to buy the car driving in my friend's '69 Z28 and said the seller looked to be about 19 years old. The price in the ad said $3100 but the recollection was they paid about half that. That advertised price was way above average for the time. The 302 engine was not in the car when they got it and may have been yanked to bring the price down. It had a more generic small block in it, maybe even a 307 but they don't know for sure because Doug resold the car pretty quickly. He does not recall who he sold it to and Frank Brown does not recall who he bought it from but it did stay in the San Fernando Valley by all accounts. The black paint job was pretty fresh in 1977 and the rims on the car at this time were Chevy rally wheels. Interestingly, the blue CA personalized plate read MR Z28. The plate was changed to 388UEG by whoever bought it from Doug.

Hopefully this new information will lead to further ownership history. Maybe somebody down in northern Orange County remembers a car with the license plate MR Z28 on it back in the 1970s?

Does anybody have a cross-reference telephone directory like a Polk Directory from that area that could put a name with those phone numbers?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:59:15 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Excellent detective work Jon, another piece of the puzzle completed!
Interesting to hear about Merle's business in Canoga Park; the original owner of my car ran an auto parts store in Canoga Park too, and Merle was the second owner - quite possible they knew each other.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »
FWIW,
Merle had several businesses in the 'Valley' besides his mobile brakes. He owned several small auto parts stores, one was in Reseda that I always bought my auto body supplies and PPG paint for my cars.
Jon,
You mentioned a Frank Brown, was he a former prop guy for the studios, and had two daughters? IF it is I did know him and the girls!
--Scott
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:27 AM »
Thank you both.

Yes Scott, Frank was a "prop guy" for the movie studios. He also bought and sold a lot of cars as a fun hobby and for profit.
Jon Mello
CRG