Author Topic: Worn clutch linkage questions  (Read 3385 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Worn clutch linkage questions
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:50:11 PM »
The original clutch linkage parts from my '68 small block are showing the wear of 50 years and many, many miles. Both ends of the upper pushrod and the linkage end of the lower adjustable pushrod are worn like you see in the picture below. The picture below is the worst of the three push rod ends. The holes in the clutch pedal and each of the Z bar arms that the push rod ends mate with are all elongated a little bit.

When the pushrods are inserted into their respective holes in the clutch pedal and the Z bar, there is about a 1/16 inch of slop that you can move the pushrod back and forth in the hole.

So my questions are.......

1) When I took this car apart for restoration, there wasn't any problem with the way the clutch operated.  Should I just leave these parts alone and run with them?

2) Replace them with aftermarket parts? I hate swapping aftermarket parts for original GM parts unless it's absolutely necessary. It would be about $80 to replace and although that's not a whole lot, it's another unexpected expense and they start to add up after a while!

3) Is there any way to repair? I don't think there's much you could do with the pushrods. With the clutch pedal and the Z bar, I thought about two things. 1) Weld the holes shut and re-drill them to the right size....or 2) Drill the holes oversized and put a bushing of some sort in there.

I was set to try one of those methods but then realized the Z-bar is hardened steel. I'm not sure if a new hole drilled through the filler weld material would be as tough as the hardened steel it replaced.....and I'm not sure I could even drill through the hardened steel to put a bushing in.

Wondering what the thoughts are on this?

Thanks.....Dave

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Worn clutch linkage questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »
Dave,
Replace worn parts. It is part of the maintenance you need to do on a 50 year old car.  Keep the worn out original pieces in a box so your kids will have something to throw away when you are gone.

-Mark.

luv2sixty9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
Weld it up to build it back up and finish smoothing and shaping with a file.
1967 Z/28 Butternut Yellow
1969 Z/28 Rally Green
1969 RS Z/28 Lemans Blue
1969 RS Z/28 Olympic Gold
1969 RS SS Pace Car
2010 Aqua Blue 2SS RS

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
Weld it up to build it back up and finish smoothing and shaping with a file.
   That's exactly what I would do.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
You could buy NOS GM.

Here is eBay link......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2NOS-GM-LOWER-CLUTCH-PUSH-RODS-CHEVELLE-CAMARO-NOVA-FIREBIRD-RS-SS-Z-28-IMPALA/253572090154?epid=8012688737&hash=item3b0a13092a:g:6UgAAOSw6ctas9wr&vxp=mtr

Another option if you are not in a hurry is just keep checking these part numbers on eBay 3973076 and 340690 until you find ones cheaper.

- Warren

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
I would try welding first. Fixing the area that is worn will be pretty easy. On the other area, just be more careful so you don’t have to drill much out. 

Good used should not be too hard to find though. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
Although not original I did some stuff with old Hurst shifter bushings on one my cars. It had a stiff clutch and the bushings made it smooth.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I think to the route I'll take right now is to try welding and then shaping/re-drilling. I wasn't sure if anyone had ever successfully done that but now that I know it's been done, I'll give it a try. There's nothing to lose. If it didn't work out, I would get replacements.

When I made the statement in my original post about wanting to keep it GM, it didn't have anything to do with being picky about only using GM parts. It was because almost every time I buy a reproduction part, there's some kind of problem with it. Doesn't look right or doesn't fit right. I'm just looking to avoid that.

Thanks......Dave