Author Topic: SB water pump kits  (Read 9700 times)

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: SB water pump kits
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
Regarding the water pump rebuild kit. Purchased one from Zip. Had a machinist friend help me at his shop. He had a good press and the knowledge. This should not be that hard to do, especially with an experienced machinist. Used the instructions on the Corvette Magazine site. The repair kit did not come with instruction. Took our time and read the instructions carefully, but when we pressed the seal on there was no clearance and the shaft would not turn. Was able to remove the seal without damaging the shaft or housing. Called Zip to see if they would sell another seal. Was informed they did not offer just the seal. Been checking for a source for another seal. All of the chain stores don't carry them. Don't know what we did wrong, but I have $50.00 in a kit I can't use and a pump that is halfway build. My machinist friend questioned some of the instructions(probably went against his experience), but I wanted to follow them as written. Appreciate if anyone has suggestions. Seal shows # 262714.
Charles

I Had this problem also.

When I get to it, I will post source for Seal & special tool I made to install same.

PS. I learned the Hard way on supporting the pump by the body NOT the Legs- Scratch one Dated 68 Z28 Pump! Makes a Nice 2 piece paper weight. (Live & Learn by Doing!)

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 02:11:28 AM »
 >:(

I have rebuilt a bunch and had this problem crop up. When pressing the static/dynamic combination seal in the shaft and into the housing the shaft catches the lip and stretches and rips the seal apart
Photo
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 02:28:55 AM »
Special Driver machined to contact THREE surfaces at same time to provide uniform drive.
The a) stationary flange b) Spring loaded seal c) The nose of the dynamic portion of the seal.

Samples, I like the Long pumps as the bodies are beefed up, I think in 1972 GM revised the waterpump bodies which use a larger shaft and bearing combination, so you have to be careful which kit you order. The squatty short pumps MUST be supported by the body not the legs, Don't ask,,See my numbers matching Z28 pump I shattered!

I saw a fellow in or at the Prtland Ore Swap meet in April and he sells the seals in addition to the Kits
Arg!!! I lost the business Card, CRUD!

JIM

Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Fanthomgreen69

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
Noticed licorvette sells 63-67. Will that work?

anything