Author Topic: 69 Oil Pressure Line Firewall Hole Location  (Read 6847 times)

red69

• View Profile
69 Oil Pressure Line Firewall Hole Location
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
Went through the AIM, and searched topics on forum. Not too sure which location 1/2 hole should be drilled. I assume it's drilled in the lower dimple shown in attached photo?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Oil Pressure Line Firewall Hole Location
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »
Here's a pic of an original.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
Ha, that looks like mine William  ;D

Back when you were helping me determine how the car came equipped.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
Yup that's yours.

Great to have an excellent survivor for reference!
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 08:09:50 PM »
I'm glad it was useful for something.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
Red, was your car assembled at NOR or LOS? The firewall oil line penetration on my LOS car is not in the location shown in the AIM, and I've determined that several other LOS cars have it in the same position as mine. NOR assembly seems to have followed the AIM locations.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »
Interesting!  So I just came across some old pics of my Van Nuys SS.  Could this hole above the Muncie Speedo hole be for the oil line?  I am not sure what else it could be.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:29:11 AM »
That's where mine is Kevin, and several other LOS cars have it there too - see this thread from 2013 which (although it took a few turns) finished up with a photo posted by Mike (rszmjt) showing the same location, also matching the Location described by Warren (WorkinProgress) on his 04A LOS car:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=10540.0;all
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
Here's my car's firewall in that area:
The large hole on the right of the photo is the Muncie speedo cable hole, the upper hole just past the throttle arm bushing is the LOS oil line hole, and the lower hole is for the speedo cable clip AFAIK.
Tim in Australia.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Thanks Tim!

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
Red, was your car assembled at NOR or LOS? The firewall oil line penetration on my LOS car is not in the location shown in the AIM, and I've determined that several other LOS cars have it in the same position as mine. NOR assembly seems to have followed the AIM locations.
My car is 12C LOS

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
LOS 09D early car
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
It appears these holes jumped around a bit. Differing maybe by plant, worker, and production date. Surprised the AIM doesn't give specific measurements, too far one way or the other could run into stuff inside!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
The original one that William posted is my 12D Norwood built Z.  That grommet even has a part number on it if you can blow the picture up enough to see it.  From what I understand that isn't reproduced. 

As far as I remember (been a while since I've been under the dash) that hole doesn't run into anything inside and comes out right at the bottom of the heater box (the added piece found on console cars).  The Van Nuys examples that appear lower I think would be even better and would be right in the area where the front carpet is split as factory console cars had a 2 piece front carpet set. 

Mine however wasn't hooked up, and the firewall had so much gook and grime on it, you couldn't see the grommet.  The oil pressure gauge never worked and I had assumed it probably wasn't a factory gauge car, but I knew it was at least a factory console car.  Wasn't till I started cleaning the firewall that the grommet appeared.  I found remnants of the original line in the ash tray including the tall brass block fitting.  I surmise the oil line busted at some point and sprayed the firewall with oil, which over the years turned into accumulated gunk an inch thick.  Rather than fix it someone decided to just stick a pipe plug in the block.