Author Topic: need 1969 Los Angeles Z28 expert...  (Read 15005 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: need 1969 Los Angeles Z28 expert...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
OK, so after the new info you learned and updated here and in the older post, can you confirm:
- what previously made you think the car had A/C?
- if it did have two fuel lines? (if so that would indicate QuadraJet carb, and not a Z/28).
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
Probably not a Z28.

William and I are in agreement. No way to prove that it was a Z28 based on the information available. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
In the other thread, he states it has clamps for two fuel lines. That means it wasn't a Z28.

Non-Z cars could have a BU axle, just had to order it. Most are SS's, but a few are in non-Z, non-SS cars.
Kurt S
CRG

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
Just to give a status report:Our Z28 Camaro is completely restored back to its orioginal colors, but configured for it's Vintage/ Historic racing, with SCCA/SVRA.  It is currently qualified for racing in the Vintage Trans Am series races in both of these groups, with all of the current safety updates, and modifications.  For the purists:  DON"T LOOK!  :)

I have a Facebook site, Dan Harrington, Des Moines, IA.  On it I posted a lot of our documentation of the car.  Feel free to take a look!

On of my albums has 29 photos, some of it on the tracks of the 31 SCCA races it competed in.  Fortunately, with so few owners, it is much easier for me to verify the few parts on the car that are original.  Such as the Rear end, the third owner and I are good friends, and he owned it since 1979.  I have recieipts for the rebuilt rear end for 1979 or 80 if I recall the date correctly.   Knowing it was not replaced in 71, and still there in 79, and still there when I bought it.  But we have lots of other work to do, and hopefully more track photos to find!

Our Z28 was Midwest Division SCCA Champion car in 1974 in A Sedan class, second place in 1973.  Our goal is to get it back on track, hopefully in a Vintage Trans Am Series with SVRA. 

Racer Dan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
In the other thread, he states it has clamps for two fuel lines. That means it wasn't a Z28.

Non-Z cars could have a BU axle, just had to order it. Most are SS's, but a few are in non-Z, non-SS cars.

Yep. I am just trying to be diplomatic.

Mention of it having the Muncie speedo hole and curved neck radiator is interesting. But radiator could have easily been put in for better cooling.

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »
OK, so after the new info you learned and updated here and in the older post, can you confirm:
- what previously made you think the car had A/C?
- if it did have two fuel lines? (if so that would indicate QuadraJet carb, and not a Z/28).

Sorry, I am a novice at this Camaro stuff.  I can easily get excited when I stumble across things, not knowing much.  Your two questions:
I was told it had A/C by the guy who was in the accident with the owner in 1971.  Then I figured the Big Block radiator told me it had to be an A/C car too, Later I figured out the manufacturing date of it... the date on the tag on it said it was actually made in June, of 1970.  I still have the tag off it and took a photo of it, not sure how to post it.  But when I removed the firewall plate installed for SCCA racing in 1972 to cover for the heater box, I was expecting only two small holes if it did not have A/C, for lines going to the heater core inside the car.  The firewall had a large cut out where the air box/ heater core went and it was patched over.  Can I send you a photo or post one of it?  It is a big cut out, and since the A/C box was so big, I figured it had to be A/C with the radiator.  I did find the pass side kick panel still in place.  I looked it up, it had the plastic grill in it, and no opening like that for the A/C cars.  My error.  Corvettes are so much easier, I know them by heart....  :)

As for the dual lines for the carb, I found one fuel line clip.  The clip was formed to hold two lines.  I assumed it was original, but there was no current fuel line there.  I later bought an Assembly manual for Camaros, and found what I think it was on page 125, I am guessing it is the same one I found- labeled #4- part # 3886522.  But it only shows it holding one line, not two in the assembly manual.  So, my error being a novice when I posted, and still not much more than a novice now! 

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »

Sorry, Kurt, my error.  One of the reasons why I want an expert to help me.  I am a novice at this.  I posted just now on the fuel clip, finding it in my recently acquired assembly manual.  Page 125, UPC8, B3.  It is number 4 on the drawing, part # 3886522.  Still looks like a two line fuel clip to me.  Call me stupid.  I could be wrong, the clip could not of been original.  But I thought it was.  I am 85% sure this is my clip.  Is this for two lines?

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
Racerdan, are the multi-leaf springs 4 or 5 leaves?

- Warren

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »
[quote author=KurtS link=topic=16402.msg148411#msg148411 date=1523740921

[/quote]

I had no idea!  I thought only Z28's had BU axles with 4 leaf springs!   Just proves I am not educated on this stuff!  that is why I turned to this forum.

Racer Dan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 12:51:56 AM »
Do you have a pic of the radiator tag?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 02:31:48 AM »
Maybe someone (or Dan?) can post a few of the car photos here?   I'd like to see the car's photos, but I'm too (old or smart?) to be a facebook client...  :)

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »
Racerdan,

OK, so your car has 4 leaves and a BU rear?

- Warren

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
How did I get here?  Confusion, mis-directed leads and information, mistakes, hints, and intuition/hunches. I just recently found this article of our 69 exact Z28 Camaro! 

http://eaglegrove.advantage-preservation.com/Viewer/?k=bob%20wood&t=30433&i=t&by=1972&bdd=1970&d=01011972-12311972&m=between&fn=eagle_grove_eagle_usa_iowa_eagle_grove_19721102_english_19&df=1&dt=10

http://eaglegrove.advantage-preservation.com/Viewer/?k=bob%20wood&t=30433&i=t&by=1972&bdd=1970&d=01011972-12311972&m=between&fn=eagle_grove_eagle_usa_iowa_eagle_grove_19721102_english_19&df=1&dt=10

At the newspaper office, they blew up the photo, and while of poor quality, you could still make out the Z28 emblem above the edge of the front bumper, and the faint white Z28 stripes covered in mud right next to the Camaro script emblem on the front nose.

Our copies of the Camaro's registrations, each and every title in Iowa (ownership never left the State of Iowa after 1971), SCCA Racing Logbooks from late 1971 thru 1982), and photos of it all link it to this, too (racing photos show emblem on front grill, but cannot make out if it says Z28 but it is in the same exact spot as original one).  The photos of it on track link with the log book dates of each race, location, event name and date, and the race results.  Restoration photos also back up the actual info., and the hidden original VIN stamped under the cowl on the body of the car.

As I took parts off the original race car before restoration, I documented casting dates, part numbers, etc.  The Master cylinder, brake booster, engine mounting bracket, inside passenger plastic kick panel, 4 link springs, rear end, rear end assembly stamp, vin stamps, trim tag, hole for speedo cable in firewall, reinforcement plates on the rear sub frame for the dual exhaust, and the few original body parts with original paint all link it to the original Z28, made Feb 3, 1969 with its original Hugger Orange paint and white stripes.

We did an NCRS report on our VIN (same as registration, copies of all owners except the original owner in California), and it was delivered at the same city where the original owner Ken Thompson lived (Paso Robles, CA.).

Once we got this info, we found the original owner was deceased, so we used his obituary to find his direct relatives.  After numerous searches, we found a few of them, and contacted them.  Fortunately, we found many were car enthusiasts, and remembered the Z28 well. 

We also just found one cousin, who worked at Paso Robles dealership (Fred Breiden Chevrolet, dealer #50 on the NCRS website and the NCRS certified letter of manufacture, dealer delivery, order #, and date from Chevrolet records) when the Camaro was delivered!  He was a parts man there, and remembered his cousin Ken Thompson had picked it up within two days of it arriving, and was almost sure he ordered it while he was on a 30 day leave with the Marines.

We continue to contact relatives of Ken and Bob Woods (who raced it) to collect more info and stories on the car.  Ken's wife said there was a photo album of Ken and his Z28 (she and Ken met because they were both Camaro nuts, and both had Camaros.  Her Camaro was a base 67 Coupe she bought used but loved). 

Hundreds of photos from the rotisserie restoration back to where it is today (a currently prepared and competitive 1969 SCCA Vintage/ Historic Road Racer).   You can't miss the original Hugger Orange paint from the factory on the rockers, lower rear valance, etc.  You can also see in the photos the past history of the wreck in 1971, which changed the course of what was originally designed and made at the Chevrolet factory as an SCCA race car to drive on the street, to relive as its original destiny as designed as an SCCA race car to race up front on the road race courses of America!

Maybe we will get lucky, and find a few the photo album of original photos of the car when it was new.  Is the protect-o-plate and warranty book with it, still in someone's drawer with a copy of the window sticker or bill of sale?   Our search now leads us to the second wife, and Ken's children who might have it stored away.   

Meanwhile, the cousin that worked at the original dealership still lives there, and is heading there to get with them.  He is going to try to search their old boxes stored away to see if he can find the original order forms, files, etc. about the car.  The first owner's wife is trying to help us by leading the search for the photo album on the car and the first owner.  My wife and I continue to try to find the rest of the first and second owners families, to collect info, photos, and stories on it's adventures!

Wish us luck!

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
Racerdan,

OK, so your car has 4 leaves and a BU rear?

- Warren
  Yes.  Cast dates on the center casted section show it as a 12 bolt rear end, made Jan 3rd, 1969.  The stamp shows it was assembled as a 3.73. w/positraction on Jan 20, 1969.  The car was finished at the Los Angeles plant on February 3, 1969.   It had 4 leaf springs and shackles on it. that appeared to of not been messed with.  The third owner, who bought the car in 1978 as an ex SCCA Road Racer, never drove it, but had it rebuilt with new clutches and springs (I have the actual original receipt where he had this done).  Then it was raced by another person for two or three events, and was placed in the second owners garage, and later his Morton building in storage until I bought it.  He tells me the rear end was the same one he bought with the car in 1978.  The guy who restored the car when it was wrecked in 1971 told me they used the original rear end that the car came with to race it, because there was nothing wrong with it and it did just fine in the races while he worked there.  It had drum brakes on the back, (single piston power disc brakes on the front), and the actual drums on the rear axle had small holes all the way around it in the outer edge of the drum.  I assume that was either a Chevrolet idea for racing, or the previous racer's idea to cool the drums while racing.  The brake booster was original (9204) and master cylinder too (5468309).  There was a check valve in the rear brake line outlet of the master cylinder, and also a regulator valve hidden in the rear of the driver's side frame rail, going to the rear brakes.  That is about all I know I can remember...!

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
Good luck Dan. I sincerely wish you luck.

From what is left of the car now, there is no way to verify it as a Z28.

Original dealer paperwork may help, but be aware that there is reproduction paperwork out there.

My thoughts on seeing the wrecked car pic are that back then, generally cars that bad were sent to junk yards, never to be on the road again. With wrecks that bad, the axle could very well have been damaged beyond repair.  100 hours for repair?  They would have been better off starting with something else.

Best wishes.

I might see about driving over for a visit someday.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:27:33 PM by bcmiller »