Author Topic: need 1969 Los Angeles Z28 expert...  (Read 15098 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: need 1969 Los Angeles Z28 expert...
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 02:13:13 AM »
Dan's camaro has more value as a 'reconstituted' SCCA race car than as an 'original Z28', and as a restored race car, IMO he has more than sufficient evidence that it 'was once a Z28'...  although I'm not sure what such a statement is worth... as all the items which 'make it a Z28' are long gone... 

PS.  I suspect that ex-SCCA race cars with history might have as much or more value than a 'proven' Z28 with the critical parts missing (ie. engine)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:38 AM »
I locked the other topics. Posting similar info in three topics was getting confusing.
Kurt S
CRG

Opium Motors

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »
There are 10,000k more First Gen Z28 Camaro’s then we’re ever built.
1968 Camaro RS Convertible 327 4 Speed Corvette Bronze
1973 Corvette 454

Racerdan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2022, 04:00:51 AM »
Thought I would post an update on this old post, and my quest to verify my Vintage Racer. 
I now have 2 notarized statements- one from the wife of the first owner, and one from the mechanic that repaired it after the crash stating it was a Z28.  I also got copies from SCCA on the application for racing it, listing the car, VIN, listing it as a Z28 with the original 302 in it.  Several tech inspection sheets list it as a Z28 as well for several years when it was raced, and the VIN as well as the SCCA roll cage certification number.  All match the VIN, stamped on the body under the cowl.  The third owner found the original Muncie for it, with the VIN stamped in the case.  The manufacturing dates of it, the Rear end match as well.  The NCRS sent me their letter on when and where it was made, and the original dealer- Fred Breiden Chevrolet in Paso Robles, CA.  I also have the racing records of the past drivers, which included an experienced dirt track racer-Ron Boeltz who got his SCCA Racing license with it in 1981, after installing a 302 out of his own 69 Z28.  He went on to race a 69 Corvette in Trans Am Races in 1982-1984.  Ron still has the 69 Vette!  Oh, we also got copies of the title transfers dating back to 1971.  As we finish up, we are in the finishing stages of writing our book on our Z28 and its' adventures.   I will also include all of the mods, many of the parts, settings, adjustments, tricks we had done or did to make it a very competitive Vintage/ Historic Road Racer for SCCA/ SVRA/HRS, etc.  The original trim tag still sits undisturbed on the firewall, and all of original parts dates, casting numbers, etc. have matched up with the original paperwork we now have.  Now with 6 people who knew it when it was new or before it was wrecked, lots of State and over 50 Official SCCA Racing documentation, inspections, newspaper articles and old racing photos, I can feel comfortable it is indeed a Z28.  The confusion was likely started due to the Van Nuys plant using the smaller trim tag without the X codes.  With the production of less than 4,000 like this, midwestern Camaro enthusiasts and racers rarely if ever saw a 69 Z28 without an X code on the trim tag, even at the Chevy dealership in small town Eagle Grove, Iowa.   Thanks for everyone's help on our quest!  We have raced it a couple times on the track, it is an absolute fire breathing monster: fast, loud, and makes people smile! 

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2022, 04:36:22 AM »
Great update. love to see a video of it at the track
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2022, 03:06:37 PM »
Thought I would post an update on this old post, and my quest to verify my Vintage Racer. 
I now have 2 notarized statements- one from the wife of the first owner, and one from the mechanic that repaired it after the crash stating it was a Z28.  I also got copies from SCCA on the application for racing it, listing the car, VIN, listing it as a Z28 with the original 302 in it.  Several tech inspection sheets list it as a Z28 as well for several years when it was raced, and the VIN as well as the SCCA roll cage certification number.  All match the VIN, stamped on the body under the cowl.  The third owner found the original Muncie for it, with the VIN stamped in the case.  The manufacturing dates of it, the Rear end match as well.  The NCRS sent me their letter on when and where it was made, and the original dealer- Fred Breiden Chevrolet in Paso Robles, CA.  I also have the racing records of the past drivers, which included an experienced dirt track racer-Ron Boeltz who got his SCCA Racing license with it in 1981, after installing a 302 out of his own 69 Z28.  He went on to race a 69 Corvette in Trans Am Races in 1982-1984.  Ron still has the 69 Vette!  Oh, we also got copies of the title transfers dating back to 1971.  As we finish up, we are in the finishing stages of writing our book on our Z28 and its' adventures.   I will also include all of the mods, many of the parts, settings, adjustments, tricks we had done or did to make it a very competitive Vintage/ Historic Road Racer for SCCA/ SVRA/HRS, etc.  The original trim tag still sits undisturbed on the firewall, and all of original parts dates, casting numbers, etc. have matched up with the original paperwork we now have.  Now with 6 people who knew it when it was new or before it was wrecked, lots of State and over 50 Official SCCA Racing documentation, inspections, newspaper articles and old racing photos, I can feel comfortable it is indeed a Z28.  The confusion was likely started due to the Van Nuys plant using the smaller trim tag without the X codes.  With the production of less than 4,000 like this, midwestern Camaro enthusiasts and racers rarely if ever saw a 69 Z28 without an X code on the trim tag, even at the Chevy dealership in small town Eagle Grove, Iowa.   Thanks for everyone's help on our quest!  We have raced it a couple times on the track, it is an absolute fire breathing monster: fast, loud, and makes people smile! 

Have you talked with Jon Mello?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything