Author Topic: Original mono spring  (Read 2515 times)

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
Original mono spring
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
Has anybody here ever re-bent a mono spring?
I have reproduction mono’s on the car as of now and the ride hight is perfect......however I would like to put my originals back on because they look factory and I want only original GM parts on this car.  My plan is to have this car being judged at the highest level.

Fortunately I started buying parts 26 years ago and the car had most of its original parts when I bought it.

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Original mono spring
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
Check with some of the spring shops. What you're asking for is right up their alley....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
 After this years show season is over I plan on having my 67 mono springs 'restored' using the hot press method by Eaton Springs. They quoted me a price of $450 for the pair. Yes it costs more than the cold press but it should last much longer in the long run and I'll get to keep the correct shape on the car compared to the ones available today.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
Yes, I have done this successfully. I collected a few extra pairs just in case of breakage. Went to a commercial truck spring shop, they had the specs for the factory spring height in their books.  I told them to arch them 1.5" over stock cause I wanted rear higher then front. No breakage, came out perfect 1st time.  The only drawback is they put this greasy covering on.  I had to spend a bit of time cleaning with solvent and wire brushing to get clean enough for paint. But I did not want to spend the time up front in case of breakage.

I did this 10 years ago and may have lost about 1/8" in ride height.  BTW, they charged $1 per pound 10 years ago, so the total was under $60 :)   

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »
Kevin,

Do you remember what the ride height was before you had the springs re arched? My current ride height is almost 1/2" below factory specs which is why I wanted to have them 'restored'.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »
Mike, I have a convertible, so the extra weight creates more sag.  Rear would hit the tailpipes over bumps with people in back. But if you look at GM marketing pics the rear was slightly lower then the front, which was not what I wanted.

I think this is the before pic, (actually I think I had a set of repro monos on for this pic, which is why I settled on the 1.5" over stock)

Then I replaced front springs with moog 6320s and put the re-arched monos on (repros when on a shelf)

Hard to see, but I think I got the front down about an inch and the rear up almost an inch.

anything