Author Topic: Spare tire size/type for a 1968 Camaro convertible with a folder down rear seat  (Read 3638 times)

suturb110

• View Profile
What size/type of spare tire would have come in a 1968 Camaro convertible with a fold down rear seat from the factory?

Thanks,
Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
Look at your tire pressure sticker on the glove box. That's what size ALL the tires were unless the original owner opted for the RPO N65 Space Saver tire. As for what "type", unless you have paperwork, you'll never know. Your car could have come with the standard black wall, the optional white wall or the optional white or red line tires.

Ed

Petes L48

• View Profile
A fold down rear seat had no impact on the type of spare tire, and the only thing convertible affects is where the hold down bracket is located, so the tire does not interfere with the top when lowered into the well.  If you look at the RPO chart, N65 space saver spares were pretty rare in 68. 

suturb110

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies. I will have him look at the inside of his glove box door.  I am trying to help out a friend. The car does not have a spare tire, so I went over to his house with an original 1969 rally rim with an original 7:35 x 14 tire on it thinking it would work. There was no way it would fit in the truck. We measured inside the trunklining up the spare tire hook and think the tire would have to be no more than 24" in diameter to fit. So I went home and measured an original Goodyear Polyglass E70 x 14 tire I had and found it was 25.25" in diameter. I then measured an E60 x 14 Goodyear polyglas tire and it was 24" in diameter.

We are just trying to figure this out. The car does have power front disk brakes. They drive their car a lot and would like to have a spare tire available. I am not sure an original space saver tire would be a safe alternative.

We are open to all suggestions.

bertfam

• View Profile
I don't know why you're having problems. I have a 215/70-14 full size spare in my trunk and it fits just fine. It's a convertible with a fold down seat too. My trunk even has an amplifier, a floor jack and a huge base speaker enclosure in it!!

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
If the trunk floor has been replaced or jack hook holddown had to be reinstalled make sure they installed it in the correct location for a convertible and not a coupe.  IIRC Firebirds came with the space saver (I hope I'm remembering correctly) and their holddowns were in the coupe position.

Petes L48

• View Profile
Here are a few pics of a 67 convertible survivor with a full size 14 inch spare sport/rally wheel.  68 should be the same:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:51:00 PM by Petes L48 »