Author Topic: 60's registration sticker  (Read 9205 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 60's registration sticker
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 03:14:39 AM »
I agree with you Ed...  Inflation is a very bad thing.    It gives the false feeling that one is 'making financial progress', but really we are not..   what it does do, is reduce the value of your long term savings (from what it would purchase without inflation).   I think it only benefits those that are taking in today's money, and repaying back with long term promises of payments (ie.  government and big company retirement plans).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
Issue that I have with a gas tax is that we already subsidize electric vehicles. Increasing the gas tax for road improvements would subsidize electric cars even more. Better way would be based on usage or miles driven if that could be accomplished. Last political comment or economic comment I will make

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
I am not that worried about the electric cars for now. With the range, lack of charging stations, and other things I think the novelty will wear off. When you pay your power bill for that 50 amp quick charger that runs off power that is mostly created by fossil fuels you kind of need to think about the inconvenience of planning your day around your round trip mileage. If you drive your 1st gen Camaro at least there is a high test pump every few miles.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
I am not that worried about the electric cars for now. With the range, lack of charging stations, and other things I think the novelty will wear off. When you pay your power bill for that 50 amp quick charger that runs off power that is mostly created by fossil fuels you kind of need to think about the inconvenience of planning your day around your round trip mileage. If you drive your 1st gen Camaro at least there is a high test pump every few miles.
I would disagree with you on part of your statement. While I agree electric vehicles primarily run off of fossil fuels currently, out in California there is a growing trend for people to install solar on their roofs of their houses. Since it is sunny most of the year out here, some of it is subsidized, but people can agree to a contract and pay about $150 to the solar company a month ( solar company owns the system), but they can use as much power as they want. Or they can purchase a system, about a 20 year pay off at about the same $150 a month, and then they would own the system. In each of these scenarios you could then charge your electric car overnight, for no extra cost. Yes you are still limited on miles, but most EV cars are used for commuting anyways.
The thing that is going to take off is autonomous vehicles. Yes somebody died last week in AZ from being hit by a self driving vehicle. It was on auto pilot and had a person observing in the car, but I believe the woman that got hit was crossing the street (not in a crosswalk), and from the police report, even a human would not have had quick enough reflexes to have stopped or swerved in time. Now the decapitation story (first guy killed ) by the tractor trailer , that could have been prevented I think. But regardless that technology will be an option in five years on luxury cars, and then you can figure it will be a standard option on some cars perhaps 10 years after that.
The thing that has me excited is that there has been more leaps in Nuclear fusion,(not fission)  and scientists think in 10 to 15 years it may have a practical application ironed out. Doubt it would see its way into an automobile in my lifetime, but exciting none the less.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
There is always the chance we will see the 'Flux Capacitor' soon  ;)
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
Well I think with the space X program and many other leaps in technology, hopefully todays best minds will work on more evolutionary ideas, than the current trend in technology, (to give your phone more emoji's , and the expansion of social media?,)WHAT A WASTE of brain power from developers, and users) How many different kinds of smily faces do we need?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
I was really hoping technology would get behind Hydrogen fuel cells. Hydrogen is cheap (after all, it's the most common element in the universe!), and easily dispensed (pull up to the pump and dispense like gasoline.) The only bi-product is water, so it's clean.

Hell. It's what we got to the moon on, so it's proven. Just too expensive to build Hydrogen filling stations I guess. You would think all the big gas companies would embrace it though. They can't keep pumping out fossil fuel forever.

Ed

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I think with the EPA and government taxes, you would never recoup your initial investment in a hydrogen plant, and the oil companies have figured it is cheaper to just maintain the oil refineries they have. To put it plainly Gasoline is still the cheapest fuel available.
Referencing your article Ed, it is unfortunate that the elected leaders in Calfornia (amoung other states) think they can tax their way to fixing spending problems. Adding over 70 cents to each gallon of gas seems ridiculous to me, especially when you consider that is just for 87 octane!
Currently for that 87 octane it is about $3.20 here, and again that is for the special low emissions california blend ( more money to produce, because it is different supposedly)

Now on the flip side (Indiana)
I visit Indiana at least once a year. I have heard people say there are 2 seasons in Indiana: Winter, and Construction.  ;D

It is true though. While you have cheaper gasoline prices ( about $1 cheaper on average) the roads are crap.
I remember taking the Camaro out for a cruise one night in Elkhart, and every road I was on had orange cones, pot hole repair, it was ridiculous.
With the freezing and thawing, salting the roads in the winter for snow and ice, you have to seek out roads to enjoy. Sometimes on the outskirts of the town, in the country it can be ok. UNTIL they decide to repave the road....
What does this involve?
Them dropping a bunch of crushed rock! Yes literally they just dump crushed rock on the country roads, and they do not compact it. That is left to the people who drive those roads! SO as you can imagine the rocks fly everywhere as cars go down those roads with the fresh rock, seems archaic to me, but thats the way it has always been done, so they continue to do it.
MAYbe it keeps the costs down? ( so taxes stay low)
So sure you can get cheap 93 octane or high race gas, but many times there is no where to enjoy it :-\

qwertyme77

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 11:54:23 PM »
Hello Group,

I've been searching this topic and get conflicting answers from people I ask locally.
The question is: The small license plate sticker seen on, let's say NY or California 60's plates, is the sticker month/year when registration was issued -or- the month/year of registration expiration.

Thanks!
Mike

Back on topic...Pennsylvania no longer uses stickers on our plates. Until recently, in Pennsylvania the plate sticker designated the expiration month and year for the car's registration. Our safety and emissions inspections expiration USED to coincide with the plate expiration. When that changed, I'm not sure. However, back when I started driving in the seventies prior to mandatory emissions testing, we used to have to have our cars inspected every six months.

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13:01 AM »
Hi Guys,
 I was born and raised in California, Please give me a state I can not pick apart and demean (Nothing special, anybody can do the same). I agree taxes are too much, Mostly due to California
supporting 45 historically Bankrupt other states! all while they give us the middle finger. California is the cleanest it's been in my life, and getting better. We all know luxury is not cheap, so why complain?
 Moving away hurts Nobody here! There are plenty of others willing to take their place that actually want to be here. And if they take a toxic spewing company with them all the better.

My Two Cents

68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 02:43:58 AM »
Your not supporting many conservative states. Indiana is one right off the top of my head that is repeatedly in the black. If you looked at the spectrum of states in the red and looked at which party had been in control, you would see the correlation. 😉

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »
 I removed the 67 NY sticker and put a 5/68 sticker in its place. The sticker is not a repro....I bought it in the mid-80's from someone selling old NY stickers. As for the black w/yellow characters California plate, did they have 63 embossed into one of the two small squares, and if so, was that same plate used for 67 too (with the 63 embossed)?

Thanks!
Mike

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »
Mike ,
yes most black plates had 63 embossed in the corner. I believe this due to the fact the were made in 63. Late 68, early 69 plates do not have the 63 embossed. Somewhere between XPY and XQY they no longer had it. 1967 plates (which would have started in 66 ) would have the 63 embossed on them.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 04:59:45 AM »
Mike, I believe the DMV requirement for using the year of production plates is that it had a sticker on it from the year of production of the car they are going on.
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
Mike, I believe the DMV requirement for using the year of production plates is that it had a sticker on it from the year of production of the car they are going on.
Buddy
Hi Buddy,
  I think I remember that back in the 80's when I first registered with the vintage plates. Too late now that I change it yesterday!  ;)
Getting ready for the shows and cruise nights on LI? I had the car's first showing in the St. Patrick's parade in Center Moriches and it sure was a good long term idle test for that 'turtle race'.  We had the Model A club ahead of our club plus a bagpipe band so the crawl was slow.

Mike

anything