Author Topic: rear antenna bezel and base plate  (Read 2603 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
rear antenna bezel and base plate
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »
My question is about the design of original bezel and grounding base plate for the rear antenna option on 68 Camaros. I bought a rear antenna kit from a reputable parts place that supposedly has all the assembly line correct parts. The chrome bezel looks just like the front antenna bezel and does NOT have a "tilt" to the design. Most of the parts suppliers show this bezel as being correct for the rear antenna. One vendor (HBC) shows a bezel design with a "tilt". Which one is actually correct for 1968 rear antenna? Also the base plate I got appears odd to me and doesn't really fit the contours of the underside of the fender no matter how I adjust it. Comparison of the commonly available repro base plate/ground plate to the 1968 AIM and to some photos from actual NOS rear antenna parts I found on line, show that the original base plate design may have been different from those being sold as correct for 1968 Camaro at multiple vendors. I have scanned many other posts on this forum regarding the rear antenna option but I have not found an answer to my questions. I hope the experts on this forum can chime in on the 'tilt" versus no "tilt" bezel question as well as the base plate design question. Photos of original rear antenna parts would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: rear antenna bezel and base plate
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »
 Hi Allen,

Did you see this previous post:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=15296.15
My 67 is in reply #19 & 21 and shows very little vertical tilt with the original base. I'm pretty sure the 68 used the same rear antenna base as the '67. Also see Darrel's reply #14 showing the 68 w/rear antenna in that same thread.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:02:13 PM »
Hey Mike,
Thank you very much for the reply and the thread. The antenna bezel on the butternut yellow car shows the bezel with what I am calling a "tilt". In other words the bezel is not the same thickness or height all the way around ( unlike the front bezel). This tilt I suppose compensates for the body angle where the antenna is located and makes the antenna more up right. So if the car in the thread you sent me has an original bezel then I have an answer to part of my question- the correct antenna bezel for the rear antenna should have a "tilt" or show a non-uniform height or thickness around the circumference. Thanks again. What do you know about the original ground plates?

Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
Hi Allen,

Glad to have been able to help. In that same thread, in reply #38, it shows the round base used. I have that style on the '67.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Perfect - Thanks very much Mike!!! I should have gone just a little further in that excellent thread. That's what I needed to see - the base plate in reply #38. The base plate in the kit I bought is nothing like that. It is round but is larger in diameter and has a strange offset angle to the center hole for the antenna lead. I notice that the same rear antenna kit ( for AM radios only) with the WRONG base plate is very common at several vendors. However, strangely enough, you can buy the correct base plate (as per the picture in reply 38) separate at some of the same vendors. Go figure? Now I can buy the "correct" base plate which will actually fit and be functional. Thanks again for your help. And thanks to CRG for making this forum available.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

anything