Author Topic: Rear drum brake backing plate questions.  (Read 8745 times)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rear drum brake backing plate questions.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »
Well I am not sure when they changed, but the 1974 Nova 8.5 ten bolt in my garage does NOT have the "rock guard" plates. 

Sorry, not a great pic.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:29 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies and information so far.

Same plate as a 10 bolt and you can find those (10 bolt)rears subbing as jack stands they are so numerous. The thought of buying repop seems unnecessary.

I assume meaning numerous in junkyards. Can someone tell me up to what years and what kind of cars the rears with the same backing plates as mine were used?....The oldest cars in most of the junkyards I have been in recently are 90's, maybe a few 80's, and rarely anything older.

Thanks......Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 04:15:10 AM »
Check out your local Craigs List ads for people selling differentials; check with them about selling you backing plates, but make sure you keep originals for comparison purposes before purchase.. 

A couple of weeks ago I saw an ad in a local neighborhood sales blurb for a '74 Nova; I called and asked about the rear...  and bought the 8.5" (60 inch rear) for $75...   It's the same width as the early 1st Camaros and the same as TriFive chevys (Just needs the spring perches changed for the Trifive), and is MUCH stronger wtih larger bearings than the older 10 bolt rears...   I will look and see if I have an extra pair of backing plates...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
After having had my orignal backing plates sandblasted, the grooves worn into the raised areas (pads) that the brake shoes rest on were pretty clear. I have been told the new shoes can catch in those grooves and their movement can be impaired.

So I bought a new set of Right Stuff Detailing backing plates from Summit. They had issues!....So I tried a set off of Ebay that came from Inline Tube. They too had a couple of issues.

The one issue both brands have in commom is that the large hole in the center that fits over the axle tube is 1/8 inch larger than the original......On the original, there is almost zero clearance between this hole and the lip in the axle tube that it fits over. When the original backing plate is in position, it it centered and can't move.....In the repros, becasue of the oversized hole in the middle and the mounting bolts holes slightly larger than the bolts, the backing plate can wiggle an 1/8 inch back and forth in any direction. You would have to eyeball it to get it centered and then hope the bolts never come loose.
Is this acceptable? Up till now, I've had next to no experience working with these parts. I would think though, that having that backing plate perfectly centered around the axle would be critical to the brake shoes contacting the brake drum properly.

Just wondering what anyone else thinks about this.....if these repro plates are Ok to use or unacceptable.

Thanks......Dave

BobH11

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
The larger center hole backing plates are for non c-clip rears.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »
Pea gravel catchers.
Craigslist and Ebay have nothing as far as original GM backing plates. Checking the online inventory of the junkyards in my area for cars that might have used the same plates, most cars are 90's or newer, a few 80's, and 70's cars are almost non-existent.

Here's what worries me about using either of the repros. After you center the backing plate by eyeballing it, it can move a 1/16 of an inch in any direction. I know you are locking it in place by tightening the bolts but I wonder if it could shift after so many applications of the brakes and bumps jarring the rear end.

I have no idea how much clearance there is between the brake shoes and drums when the brakes are not applied but I wonder if one shoe moving closer to the drum and moving away could affect brake performance. I have no idea.

Dave

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 06:19:23 PM »
Sorry if I missed this but did you post a picture of yours already blasted?

Unless they were submerged or were very flimsy, I would think your originals would be fine.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:34 PM »
I've pretty much made up my mind not to use either of the repro plates with their oversized center holes. My gut tell me it's the wrong thing to do and I've learned in the past not to do something when I have that feeling.

Here are a couple of pictures of my originals. This is after sandblasting and painting. I took the paint off the pads that the brakes shoes sit on so the damage could be seen better. I circled in red the worst of the grooves worn into those pads. It was really hard to capture the grooves in a photo.

It maybe doesn't look like anything serious but I don't have the experience to be sure.

I got an offer from someone over at TC who is going to look through some extra plates they have and send me some if he has ones in better shape than mine.

Thanks.....Dave

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
 If those were my plates and I could not find less worn ones, I would MIG weld (or flux core wire feed works as well) the valleys and file them down flush so as to fill those low areas.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »
I would run those as is. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything