Author Topic: Ben & Lana Wenzel in Automobile Accident  (Read 11636 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Ben & Lana Wenzel in Automobile Accident
« on: November 24, 2005, 12:20:23 AM »

I just wanted to let all of you know that Ben and Lana Wenzel were in an automobile accident yesterday.  I don't know all of the details right now, only that Ben is okay but Lana is in the hospital.  I will post any new information as it becomes available.  Ben has been like a big brother and mentor to me for many years, please keep both Ben and Lana in your prayers over this Thanksgiving weekend.

For those that don't know Dave and Ben Wenzel, they race a 1967 Z28 in stock eliminator that Ben purchased brand new (only 602 were produced).  The Wenzel Brothers had an incredible 2005 season winning the division and finishing 8th in world points.   

Jerry MacNeish
Camaro Hi-Performance

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: Ben & Lana Wenzel in Automobile Accident
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »

I just wanted to let all of you know that Ben and Lana Wenzel were in an automobile accident yesterday. I don't know all of the details right now, only that Ben is okay but Lana is in the hospital. I will post any new information as it becomes available. Ben has been like a big brother and mentor to me for many years, please keep both Ben and Lana in your prayers over this Thanksgiving weekend.

For those that don't know Dave and Ben Wenzel, they race a 1967 Z28 in stock eliminator that Ben purchased brand new (only 602 were produced). The Wenzel Brothers had an incredible 2005 season winning the division and finishing 8th in world points.

Jerry MacNeish
Camaro Hi-Performance

Jerry - Sorry to hear about the Wenzel's - my wishes for a speedy recovery from this ordeal for both of them...
        They are very nice people who I was fortunate to meet at the Route 66 race in Chicago this Fall. I had seen pictures of their car posted on the web in past years and when I spotted it parked in a trailer in the pits I immediately stopped and introduced myself as a 'fellow Z owner' (although '68 version). They and their nephew were very accomodating in discussing the car and its long and unique history with with me. This all occurred just after Ben broke out in the finals of their class by a couple of thousands. and even though obviously bummed out by the outcome, he still took the time to accomodate my many questions and put up with my picture taking...
        True racers - genuinely nice people - real treasures in NHRA drag racing and the Camaro community. 
                                                                                                     ---Randy--

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:14:30 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the kind words.  I will pass them along.  I am sure that Ben and Lana will enjoy reading all of these posts once Lana recovers from the accident.  I did talk to Ben last night and Lana had just come out of surgery for a broken leg.  There are other injuries but I do not want to post anything else until I know for sure and also make sure that Ben does not mind me keeping the Camaro community informed.

Thanks,

Jerry@CHP

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:43:02 PM »
Jerry,

Please convey my concern to the Wenzels.  The world contains far too few people who possess their qualities.  Thanks for keeping us updated.

Chuck

AFONEFE

• Daily driver in background
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:11 PM »
Just talked with Ben, Lana is resting comfortably.  She is at the Covenant Medical Center 700 Cooper Ave. Saginaw Mich. 48602, room 553.  Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
69 Z/28 X-77
"CHP, this is Chris can I help you?"

mr396

• View Profile
    • 1968 camaro SS 396 RS convertible
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 01:56:17 AM »
Best wishes.                                                                                                                   
1968 camaro RS/SS L34 396 air convertible

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
...our prayers go out for a speedy recovery ...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Ben's wife, Lana came home from the hospital Monday evening.  The recovery and therapy will be long but the family is confidant that she will have a full recovery.