Author Topic: The 1967 Camaro as Seen at Auto Shows & Unique Promotional Exhibits in 1966/1967  (Read 62305 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Visiting the Chicago Auto Show this past February inspired me to start researching a new first generation Camaro topic.  I thought I would gather together the images and information showcasing the participation of 1967-1969 Camaros in major Auto Shows and Chevrolet produced promotional exhibits/tours back when they were new.

While media coverage and multiple different facets of advertising and promotion were used to get people interested in the new Camaro, there is nothing like seeing a new car in person.  Auto Shows and traveling promotional exhibits give automakers a venue to introduce new models, new packages and concept cars to an interested and receptive public.  These notions haven’t changed in over a century of automobile manufacturing and probably never will.

I have uncovered so much information on this topic that I have decided to split all of it up into three separate threads devoted to each model year of the first generation Camaro.  This thread will be limited to Auto Shows and promotional exhibits/tours that showcased the 1967 model year Camaro.  These events took place between the summer of 1966 and the summer of 1967.  I will present the information chronologically, starting with a little background on how this new car received its name.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:50:28 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
SPRING 1966, Chicago, Illinois & New York, New York

Even before it was introduced to the public in the fall of 1966 the new sporty car being developed by Chevrolet to compete with the Ford Mustang was a topic of conversation for the General Manager of Chevrolet at two of the country’s largest auto shows.  On page 26 of the book Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History Gary L. Witzenburg states that Pete Estes, “already admitted at February’s Chicago Auto Show press breakfast that a new car was in the works, and confirmed at a similar meeting at the New York Auto Show in April that it would be ‘in the Corvair/Chevy II range.’”  Concerned with the same subject, author Robert Genat wrote on page 226 of his book entitled Chevy SS: The Super Sport Story that, “during a press luncheon at the (1966) New York International Auto Show, a reporter asked Chevrolet’s General Manager, Pete Estes, if Chevrolet would be introducing a Mustang-type car in 1967 and, if so, what would it be called?  Estes’ reply was just one word, ‘Panther.’  Estes went on to explain that Panther was the code name for the new car Chevrolet was developing for the sporty car market.  Estes refused to make any predictions on first year sales but, he guaranteed this new car would be competitive.” (https://books.google.com/books?id=7W3XIIT-Z14C&pg=PA226&lpg=PA226&dq=1966+new+york+auto+show+pete+estes&source=bl&ots=uo7B2qQiDO&sig=UhMQEV5FchK-roH7jO7HhW0-hZg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiliva_3-LZAhXOk1kKHX6vCGwQ6AEIRTAE#v=onepage&q=1966%20new%20york%20auto%20show%20pete%20estes&f=false)

1st picture: Cover of 1966 Chicago Auto Show program (https://www.chicagoautoshow.com/history/#1966)

2nd picture: Cover of 1966 New York International Auto Show program (http://www.joesherlock.com/NYIAS-66.html)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:22:37 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
June 1966, Conference call

Several years ago Scott Settlemire, “The Fbodfather”, wrote an article entitled “The Day the Panther Died.”  Using notes from files in Chevrolet’s archives, his article goes into great detail about how the name Panther was done away with and how the new Camaro name was introduced to the press.  This is what he wrote:
June 29, 1966 was a day of firsts. It was a day where 200 journalists were inducted into SEPAW (more about that in a minute).  That day, the first and LAST meeting of SEPAW took place.  It was the first time in history that 14 cities were hooked up "real time" for a press conference via telephone lines. (Something that seems so very simple today, but so very complicated back then).  And it was the first time that the world found out that a new Chevrolet would be called "Camaro" – rather than "Panther."

On June 21, 1966, approximately 200 journalists from around North America received the following Telegram:
"……….Please save noon of June 29 for important SEPAW meeting. Hope you can be on hand to help scratch a cat. Details will follow……………….(signed) John L. Cutter – Chevrolet Public Relations – SEPAW Secretary."

……….as you can imagine, there were many befuddled looks upon receiving such a telegram.

The next day, (June 22) – the same journalists received this telegram:
"………..Society for the Eradication of Panthers from the Automotive World will hold first and last meeting on June 29. (Insert city here) chapter will meet at (insert hotel name here) and join national 14 city telephone hookup with meeting in Detroit at which national president E. M. Estes will preside. Please telephone acceptance to Frank Faraone, (Telephone # ) Delaware 7-4601……….. (signed) John L. Cutter – Chevrolet Public Relations SEPAW Secretary………"

Well………that certainly gave the journalists something to think about…..and the best part is that they would not have to travel around the country to attend this "SEPAW Meeting" – rather, they only needed to travel to one of 14 cities.

This was truly a technological undertaking….. The Bell System (the only telephone system back then for those of you who are under 40 years of age….) call arrangement included 14 cities and originated from Detroit’s Statler-Hilton Hotel (sadly demolished about two years ago after sitting in ruin for nearly 25 years) where Chevrolet General Manager E. M. "Pete" Estes made some announcements.  There were more than 100 persons involved in providing the two-way communication system over 13,715 miles of telephone circuits, including 9,259 miles of microwave radio and 4,446 miles of coaxial cable.  The announcement over the wires was heard by approximately 150 of 200+ journalists in the cities of: Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Cincinnati, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, St. Louis, San Francisco, New York, and Washington.  Amplifiers and microphones were installed in each of the 14 meeting rooms across the country so that newspersons could hear Mr. Estes’ remarks and direct questions to him. The questions and answers were heard simultaneously in all cities on the circuit.  GM was insistent that the system be tested – so a test call was made on Tuesday and was further backed up by an auxiliary circuit in case difficulty developed anywhere within the system.
It’s interesting to note that we think nothing of linking friends on a conference call at will from our homes or offices – without any real forethought. It was a different world 40 years ago…..and as you can see by the above figures – it was quite an accomplishment.

The REAL story, however, was in what Mr. Estes was about to tell the journalists.  Looking through notes that survived 40 years within Chevrolet files, I’ve managed to put together some of what Mr. Estes talked about that day.

Mr. Estes started the press conference with:
"……..SEPAW stands for the S ociety for the E limination of P anthers from the A utomotive W orld – and by your presence, you are automatically charter members…………July 1 marks my first anniversary (As General Manager of) Chevrolet. It’s been a fast and highly competitive year……."
He went on to mention the many travels he made to dealers and plants – and mentioned milestones such as the 3 millionth Los Angeles produced Chevrolet passenger car—and the first passenger car to roll off the newly opened Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant.
Mr. Estes continued with: "………..it is also a year in which Chevrolet has gotten into the hottest sales race since 1959……"
He gave a brief review of sales, model-year-to-date sales lead, and talked about his optimism for great June sales figures. He made it very clear that Chevrolet intended to remain America’s number one selling cars and trucks.

"………one of the reasons we’re going to stay number 1 is also a reason for this meeting. Chevrolet is definitely going to have a new car included in the new models for the 1967 model year – and this car will be introduced on September 29, 1966………….This is NOT news to many of you! As far back as April 8, 1965, A Detroit newspaper had page-one headlines proclaiming that Chevrolet had a "Panther" car to answer the horsy offering of a competitor. The question of who was answering who has been discussed frequently, since the four-footed competitor really answered the Corvair. And the Corvair actually followed up the Corvette which was the real pioneer of the sporty-personalized car in this country…"
"…..in the two years since then, you gentlemen of the press, radio, and television have literally designed, built, and marketed the Chevrolet “Panther” to the point where we get irate letters from customers plus phone calls demanding all specifications and price so they can place orders!”

Mr. Estes continued: "………We have frequently said "what Panther?" and there have been many other names suggested ….citing Chevrolet’s preference for names starting with the letter "C"………….."

"………….the personal sized car market is big …..” He went on to give current market figures and projected figures. "…….Corvair will remain in this market …….handling the family-type small car business…….." "…….with the 1967 line, Chevrolet will offer what we feel is the last word in personal sized cars……” He went on to describe the size of this new car in terms of comparison to both Corvair and Mustang – and some general details.

He announced that this new Chevrolet would be built in two assembly plants – one in Los Angeles (Van Nuys) and one in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio (Norwood.) He also mentioned that Chevy II production would be switched to Willow Run (Ypsilanti) Michigan where they would be built alongside Corvairs.

He then invited all news people to drive this new Chevrolet – and in fact all of the new Chevrolets at a Press Preview in Detroit on September 12 and in Los Angeles on September 19.
Mr. Estes then said: "………..Oh yes! I almost forgot! The purpose of this meeting! Gentlemen: much as we appreciate the tremendous publicity given "Panther" we ask you to help scratch the cat once and forever. And as such, this will be both the FIRST and LAST meeting of SEPAW. …………Chevrolet has chosen a name which is lithe, graceful, and in keeping with our other car names beginning with the letter C……….it suggests the comradeship of good friends……….as a personal car should be to its owner……..Above all, it is the name of our new car line to be introduced on September 29……..and to us, the name means just what we think the car will do: GO! ….and here it is!........"

At that moment, five very pretty girls came onto stage – each holding a letter……Mr. Estes held the sixth letter – and while a narrator described to out-of-towners what was going on, Mr. Estes placed each girl in order and then lined up with them for all to see the word "CAMARO."  (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/june-29-1966-camaros-christening-819386/)

Apparently the reason why “Mr. Estes placed each girl in order” was that they didn’t quite get it right on their first try.  On page 28 of Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History, Gary L. Witzenburg writes, “unmentioned over the communications linkup was the fact that a couple of the coeds lined up out of order at first, spelling ‘CAMAOR.’”  As can be seen in the pictures, these girls were wearing cheerleader type outfits with “Chevy” spelled out on their shirts. 

1st picture: Cheerleaders and Pete Estes with “CAMARO” (page 28/29 Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History by Gary L. Witzenburg)
2nd picture: Cheerleaders and Pete Estes with “CAMARO” (www.camaro5.com)
3rd picture: Cheerleaders and Pete Estes with “CAMARO” (www.camaro5.com)
4th picture: Dictionary Page (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/rarely-seen-photos-show-evolution-chevrolet-camaro-design-2/)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:21:20 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
June 1966, conference call continued

The conference call was reported in newspaper articles for several days after it took place.  For instance, an article entitled “GM Unveils Camaro, a New Chevrolet” on page 9 of the Thursday, June 30, 1966 edition of Redlands Daily Facts, a Redlands, California newspaper, stated “DETROIT (UPI) - Chevrolet division of General Motors Wednesday announced plans for the new car it hopes will take the 300,000 car ‘bite’ out of the new sporty-type market pioneered by Ford's Mustang.  The new car, to be named ‘Camaro’ will go on the market Sept, 29.  It will be built on a 108 inch wheelbase, the same as Mustang, and will have an overall length of 180 to 185 inches, said Chevrolet General Manager E. M. Estes.  He said it would have a number of unique features not available on Chevrolet's other lines, but declined to discuss them. The car will be built at Chevrolet's assembly plant in Norwood, Ohio, and Los Angeles.  Plans are to schedule a run of 1,250 units a day, which Estes said would amount to 12 per cent of the Chevrolet output.  At 1,250 a day, yearly production would run approximately 300,000 cars a year with time out for model changes.” (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/1157892/)   The exact same body of words appeared in an article entitled “Chevrolet Announces New Car” on page 8 of the Friday, July 1, 1966 edition of The Daily Inter Lake, a newspaper from Kalispell, Montana. (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/21796845/)   

A different article entitled “Chevrolet to Challenge the Mustang” on page 3 of the Monday, July 4, 1966 edition of The Troy Record, a newspaper from Troy, New York, stated “DETROIT (AP) New Camaro stands ready to challenge Ford's high-riding Mustang for supremacy in small, sporty car field.  E. M. Estes, Chevrolet's general manager, took the wrap off some details of the new Camaro recently at a news conference, hooked together by a two-way telephone line.  For Estes, announcement of the new car put an end to a question which had irritated him over the past two years. That was: ‘When is Chevrolet going to come out with a car to match the Mustang?’ Estes answer was to offer that Chevrolet's Corvair, Chevy II and Chevelle had put the division far out in front in race to attract sports car enthusiasts and that the Mustang actually was a belated attempt to catch up with Chevy's lead.  The Camaro gives Chevrolet a car to do sales battle with Mustang, starting with 1967 models.  Estes laughingly told newsmen he would not tell them all details on the new car until press preview time in September, but he did release a few details.  Camaro's wheelbase will be IO8 inches, the same as the Corvair and the Mustang.  Its overall Iength will be around 180-185 inches. The Mustang-Camaro sales race seems certainly to make competition between Chevrolet and Ford more intense next year.” (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/57989049/)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:22:06 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
AUGUST 1966? Detroit, Michigan

This set of pictures shows a group of Chevrolet automobiles from the 1967 model year gathered together in some type of show in a large room.  I found them at the Camaro Pilot Prototype Car Registry web site but no information is provided on where and when they were taken, or what the event is. 

Although I have never been there, researching and viewing hundreds of images of convention halls over the past few weeks leads me to believe that the room can be identified as Cobo Hall in Detroit, Michigan.  The unique ceiling is a direct match to known pictures taken at this venue.  Once I figured this out, I needed to find out what event it was and when it took places.  I do know they are not pictures of the Detroit Auto Show because, as you will see later in this thread, I have found a copious amount of images of this event and these pictures do not represent the same Chevrolet display.  In addition, there are no other manufacturer’s automobiles or trucks in these pictures.  All of the cars are Chevrolets.  Seven of them are the brand new Camaro.  This leads me to believe that this is some type of sales convention for representatives of Chevrolet dealers to come see the new offerings for the model year prior to their on sale date.  As for when it took place, it must have been some time before the Camaro was unveiled in the dealer showrooms on Thursday, September 29, 1966. 

Further research led me to some possible answers.  The Camaro Pilot Prototype Car Registry web site states that there were four Sales Conventions and that they “were strategically located in Detroit, Chicago, Jacksonville, and Phoenix.” (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/pilot-program-statistics.html)  On page 29 of the book entitled Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History, Gary L. Witzenburg mentions that, “Camaro starred at a Chevrolet sales convention in late August.”  One particular website with a timeline of significant Camaro events states that this sales convention took place on August 22-23, 1966. (http://www.rallyruth.com/68%20camaro%20koder_files/camaro%20historikk.htm)   The Camaro Pilot Prototype Car Registry web site says that this sales convention took place “on or around August 25, 1966 at the Sheraton-Cadillac Hotel.” (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/pilot-program-overview.html)  This location is what initially confusing me.  The pictures were clearly taken in Cobo Hall not a historic downtown Detroit hotel.  More research was needed.

The Pilot Prototype Car Registry web site features a spread sheet put together for the 49 total Norwood produced Pilot Cars which states that four of these cars were designated to be used at “sales convention Detroit.” (http://pilotcarregistry.com/pilot-program-overview.html)   These four cars were:

1)   N100001: Sport Coupe/Paint # 900GG Granada Gold - Show Paint Required/Trim # 709AB Gold/Standard - L/6 230 cu. in. Engine/Standard - 3 Speed Transmission/P01AA - Wheel Discs/P58AA - 7:35 - 14 - 4 W/Wall Tires (Firestone)/U63AA - Push Button Radio/Front Antenna/110 Volt Wiring/A39AH - Deluxe Seat Belts (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/n100001.html)  This car still exists and has been restored and shown throughout the country.

2)   N100020: Convertible/Paint # 900RR Bolero Red - Show Paint Required/Trim # 765AA Black/Top Color – White/L30AB - V/8 327 cu. in. Engine/M35BG - P/G Transmission/A31AA - Electric Windows/A67AA - Folding Rear Seat/B37BA - Floor Mats/C06AA - Power Top/D55JJ -Console/G80BA – Positraction/J50AE - Power Brakes/N33BA - Tilt Steering Wheel/N40CA - Power Steering/N96AA - Magnesium Wheel Cover/P58AA - 7:35 - 14 - 4 W/Wall Tires (Goodyear Tire Company)/U57AK - Tape Deck/U69AB – Radio/Front Antenna/A39AA - Deluxe Seat Belts/V31AA - Front Guards/V32AA - Rear Guards (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/n100020.html)

3)   N100028: Sport Coupe/Paint # 900YY Butternut Yellow - Show Paint Required/Trim # 765AA Black/Standard - V/8 283 cu. in. Engine/M20AA - 4 Speed Transmission/C08AA - Vinyl Roof/ P67AA - 6:95 - 14 - 4 W/Wall Tires (General Tire Company)/A39AA - Deluxe Seat Belts/Z21AA -Exterior Moulding (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/n100028.html)

4)   N100038: Sport Couple/Paint # 900LL Tahoe Turquoise - Show Paint Required/Trim # 765AA Black/L48AC - V/8 350 cu. in. Engine/M20AD - 4 Speed Transmission/C08AA - Vinyl Roof/ C60ED - Air Conditioning/D55LA – Console/J50AE - Power Brakes/N40DA - Power Steering/ Standard - 7:35 - 14 - 4 R/Line Tires (Goodrich Tire Company)/U17BA - Instrument Panel Gauges/ U63AB – Radio/U73AA – Antenna/U80AA - Auxiliary Speaker/Z22AE - Rally Sport/A39AA - Deluxe Seat Belts/110 Volt Wiring (http://www.pilotcarregistry.com/n100038.html)

Looking through the pictures of the unknown event you can clearly see that there are at least three out of four Camaros that fit these descriptions.  There is a light colored sport coupe with white wall tires which must have been N100001, a convertible with a black interior and magnesium wheel covers that must have been N100020, and a dark colored RS/SS sport coupe with a vinyl roof & red line tires which was probably N100038.   A color picture does show a Butternut Yellow sport coupe with a vinyl roof & white wall tires that could be N100028, but it doesn’t match the pictures provided for that particular car on the Pilot Car web site.  I believe the fact that at least three, and possibly all four, out of the seven Camaros in these pictures match the information provided on the Pilot Car web site which states they were designated to be used at “sales convention Detroit.”  I believe this information proves that these pictures were taken during the “late August” Chevrolet sales convention that took place sometime between Monday, August 22nd and Thursday, August 25th, 1966.  The rest of the Camaros in the display had to have been very early production cars since full scale production had started about two and a half weeks earlier on Sunday, August 7, 1966. 

The salesmen who attended the Chevrolet sales convention must have viewed the new 1967 Chevrolet line up of automobiles at Cobo Hall and not at the Sheraton-Cadillac Hotel.  The hotel must have been the location where the salesmen stayed while they were in town for the convention.   The hotel was probably also used for meetings, Chevrolet product film viewing, special dinners, and any other business related activities conducted during one of these annual conventions.  Incidentally, the Hotel still exists.  The building, built in 1924, is now the Westin Cadillac Hotel.  Cobo Hall was probably a short 10-15 minute walk away. 

Click on the following link to see a film created by the Jam Handy Corporation about the new 1967 Camaro that was shown at the Chevrolet sales convention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=A0YP8uPf5s0 

If anyone has any additional information on the Detroit Chevrolet sales convention for model year 1967, please share.

All three pictures can be found here: (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:23:07 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
AUGUST 1966? Detroit, Michigan continued

All three pictures can be found here: (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:28:09 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

Both pictures can be found here: (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
September 1966, Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

On Saturday, September 24th, 1966 the Canadian public got their first look at the new sporty Chevrolet  when a multitude of Camaros were provided by General Motors to help promote the new car line to the automotive and motor racing enthusiasts attending the Canadian Grand Prix for the Pepsi-Cola Trophy.  This race was the third event of a total of six for the inaugural Sports Car Club of America’s Canadian-American Challenge Cup (Can-Am), and it was held at Mosport Park road course in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada.  According to an article entitled “Meet the Camaro” in the November 1966 edition of GM Topics (vol. 17, Number 9) “fans at the track had the chance to inspect the Camaro close-up when 25 Camaros of differing models fitted with various options and performance packages were set up in a display area.   Fifteen of these cars, all convertibles, were used in the Parade of Champions when all the drivers entered in the race were driven around the track prior to race time.”  Pictures from the article show a large tent located in the paddock or somewhere else on the grounds of the road course at Mosport Park.  The tent had large letters written on it that announced “CHEVY SHOW.”  A caption on the second page of the article proclaimed that “the Camaro was the hit of the show.”  It went on to say, “gay and lighthearted was the mood around the ‘Chevy Show’ where the Camaro was on display for the benefit of the sports enthusiasts gathered for the race.”  Inside the Chevy Show tent the race enthusiasts could see a brand new Camaro RS/SS 350 Cutaway car display.  As far as I can tell, this event was probably the first time that the Camaro Cutaway car display was shown to the public.  The previously mentioned caption goes on to say that “one of the highlights of the show was a cutaway of the Camaro which allowed interested spectators to view the interior of the car.  Most of the mechanical parts of the car were cutaway as well.  Electrically operated motor, transmission, rear end, and wheels pulled, slid and revolved in full view of the audience.  The whole car rotated on a turntable to give viewers a look at the car from all angles.” 

It is interesting to note that this event took place five days before the Camaro could be seen for the first time at Chevy dealer showrooms on Thursday, September 29, 1966.  The people who viewed the cars at this race were some of the first non-press members to see it in person.

To see and read the entire article, “Meet the Camaro”, see my previously posted thread: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16216.0 

All pictures are cropped versions taken from the article.  They are courtesy of CRG member Mike Scott.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:23:34 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
October 1966, Paris France

The earliest image I have found of a Camaro on display at an Auto Show meant for the public is from a venue that was somehow connected to the 53rd Salon de l'Auto in Paris, France.  This event took place Thursday, October 6th through Sunday, October16th, 1966 at the Parc des Expositions, Porte de Versailles.  The car is a lightly colored 1967 Camaro RS convertible with rally wheels, whitewall tires, bumper guards, pinstripe and a black convertible top.  The car appears on a riser in what looks to be a banquet hall at the Hilton Hotel in Paris, France.  Since the Getty Images metadata states that this was Tuesday, October 4, 1966, this might have been an introductory dinner party held a few days before the opening of the show.  Interestingly, October 4th was less than a week after the Camaro was first seen in dealerships in the United States on Thursday, September 29, 1966.  Does anyone know if that was the same date they first appeared in showrooms in Europe as well? 

1st picture: Program cover for the event:  http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/show.html

2nd picture: Metadata states, OCTOBER 04: 4Th Of October 1966. France. Hilton Hotel. Chevrolet Camaro (Photo by Keystone-France/Gamma-Keystone via Getty Images):  https://www.gettyimages.com/license/106498617

3rd picture: Metadata states, Motor Show To Open October 6th The annual Motor Show will open at the Porte de Versailles, Paris, October 6th. OPS: A Camaro Chevrolet (General Motors) on show at Hilton Hotel, Paris. (Credit Image: Keystone Pictures USA/ZUMAPRESS):  http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-oct-10-1966-motor-show-to-open-october-6th-the-annual-motor-show-will-69425898.html

Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
October/November 1966, Los Angeles, California

The next public Auto Show that I found Camaro information for was the 44th Annual Southern California International Automobile Show.  It was held Thursday, October 27th through Sunday, November 6th, 1966 inside the Pan Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.  This event was sponsored by the Los Angeles Motor Car Dealers Association.

1st picture: Program cover for event: https://www.ebth.com/items/4363695-1966-official-auto-show-annual-with-look-magazine-x-ray-magazine-automotive-preview-issues

2nd picture: Camaro Cutaway: Caption states, “Photograph caption dated October 29, 1966 reads, "Princesses of Auto Show pose with cutaway model of new 'Camaro' by Chevrolet. The girls are, left to right; Tess Christensen, representing Europe; Diana Stensen, representing America; and Fanny Lu, representing Asia.  All are UCLA coeds. 'Camaro' has hideaway headlights, fold-down rear seat for extra storage, and is powered with V8 engine."  https://calisphere.org/item/9cb68e99383f8a2e6ca08abd5b1426d9/

3rd picture: Barris Camaro Mod Top Picture (From Wednesday, December 26, 1966 edition of Automotive News): (http://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2510094833/m/2330062215/p/7) posted by member “Bluetoppace”
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
October/November 1966, Los Angeles, California continued

1st picture: Barris Courtesy Chevy Ad (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘PeteLeathersac’ at www.yenko.net)

2nd picture: another Courtesy Chevy Ad (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘PeteLeathersac’ at www.yenko.net)

3rd picture: Barris Camaro Red Mod Top (www.carbase.com)

Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

1st picture: Barris Camaro (https://www.kustomrama.com/images/a/a9/Barris-kustoms-camaro-custom.jpg)

2nd picture: Barris Camaro (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘JChlupsa’ at http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=708313)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

The following article about the Barris Mod Top Camaro appeared in the Winter 1967 issue of 1001 Custom and Rod Ideas Magazine.

1st picture: Cover of the magazine (http://99wspeedshop.com.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/custrodideas.html)

2nd picture: Page 6 of magazine (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘JChlupsa’ at http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=708313)

3rd picture: Page 7 of magazine (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘JChlupsa’ at http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=708313)
Scott