Author Topic: The 1967 Camaro as Seen at Auto Shows & Unique Promotional Exhibits in 1966/1967  (Read 62365 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, New York, New York continued

Picture: Close-up of Californian exhaust:  Since the Californian in this picture appears to be on the floor/stand and not parked on the special trailer as it had been seen multiple times before, I believe that this photo could have been taken at the Auto Show in New York.  Since they were both posted by Jon Mello in a separate thread, perhaps they both came from the same source.  (courtesy of CRG Member Jon Mello)
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, New York, New York continued

An article entitled “Youth Is Auto Ad Image” appeared on the same page as the picture of the Cherokee and Californian on page 35 of the Tuesday, April 4, 1967 edition of The News Journal.  It talks about how the auto manufacturers were catering to the young baby boomers in their promotion of new models because they had influence on their parents.  An interesting part of the article states, “on those special Saturday nights when the new Camaro is going to sit in the driveway because Parents are at home entertaining ‘at bridge,’ John gets the key to the four-speed shift and Positraction and 396 ‘cubes’ under the hood and whatever other goodies he has persuaded Dad to invest in.  And he boastfully tells Susie who probably already knows, that a model just like this is going to be the Official Pace Car for the Indianapolis 500 race this next Memorial Day.”

Photos 1/2 are courtesy of The Supercar Registry Member ‘PeteLeathersac’ at www.yenko.net
Photo 3: SS 396 advertisement from inside the souvenir program (worthpoint.com)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:48:06 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, Denver, Colorado

The next public Auto Show where information is available on Camaro inclusion took place at the 10th Annual Tri-State Auto Exposition.  This took place Friday, April 14th through Sunday, April 16th, 1967 at the Denver Coliseum and Arena in Denver Colorado.  The program for the event has a full page ad explaining to the reader what they will see at the “Chevy Show.”  It declares “See the MOTOREVUE SHOW BY CHEVROLET at the 10th Annual Tri-State Auto Exposition.”  Underneath a picture of the Camaro Cutaway display the copy reads, “camaro chassis half-body turntable  An inside look at the new Camaro in this eye-catching exhibit that revolves before the spectators eyes.  Complete with carpet and barrier.”  Underneath a picture of a Cutaway Engine display are the words, “427-cu.in. engine with turbo hydra-matic  A beautifully finished cutaway exhibit that shows one of Chevrolet’s greatest power teams in action.”  The words beneath a picture of a go kart state, “monza junior kart exhibit  Shows off the gas-powered Monza .Junior.  Optional for use as a door prize, the Monza Junior is an eyeful for the kids.”

It’s interesting to note the name “Monza Junior” is still being used in the ad when by this time Chevrolet had already started calling it the Chevy Jr.   

All pictures came from (www.picclick.com)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 16-22, 1967, Nashville, Tennessee

The next public Auto Show where I found information on participating Camaros was the 4th Annual Nashville and Greater Tennessee Auto Show.  This event occurred Sunday, April 16th through Saturday, April 22nd, 1967 at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.  An article entitled “Cars and Prizes!...You’ll Find Them at the Auto Show” appears on page 88 of the Sunday, April 16, 1967 edition of The Tennessean.  It states, “CUTAWAY CHEVROLET CAMARO see the exciting Camaro . . . through and through! Cutaway body reveals chassis, engine, transmission, brakes, plus interior of the sporty Camaro, at the Chevy exhibit.” https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/113333896/   The standard Chevrolet Auto Show ad appeared on page 87 of the same edition.

A member of The Supercar Registry named ‘cook dw’ posted a few scanned pictures on their forum of a modern newspaper article that was “a reprint of an article from the Nashville Banner from April of 67 about the 4th Annual Auto Show here in Nashville.”  In the pictures you can see a Camaro Cutaway display, a dark colored SS sport coupe with rally wheels and what looks to be a vinyl roof covered SS with standard wheel covers amongst the other Chevrolet models for 1967.  Also notice the 427 Cutaway Engine display mentioned in the program for the Auto Show in Denver.  Notice that the rear taillights are illuminated on the Camaro Cutaway display and that this one is still fitted with standard wheels and wheel covers as opposed to the one at the Chicago Auto Show in February that wore rally wheels. 

1st picture: Overview (http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135780&highlight=auto+show&page=50)

2nd picture: Close up of same picture with Dark SS and Cutaway Camaro (http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135780&highlight=auto+show&page=50)

3rd picture: Close up of same picture with vinyl topped SS (http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135780&highlight=auto+show&page=50)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:54:41 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 16-22, 1967 Nashville, Tennessee continued

Picture: Ad for Chevy Auto Show display from page 87 of Sunday, April 16, 1967 edition of The Tennessean (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/113333895/)

2nd picture: newspapers.com
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:55:21 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
The last two posted Auto Shows are another example of why there must have been more than one Camaro Cutaway display car produced.  Both the Denver and Nashville events featured Camaro Cutaway and 427 Cutaway Engine displays but the dates actually overlap!  Obviously neither display could be in two places at once, so there must have been more than one.   
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, Scranton, Pennsylvania

The next public Auto Show where information on Camaro inclusion exists was the Scranton Auto and Boat Show.  This event happened Friday, April 21st through Sunday, April 23rd, 1967 at Watres Armory in Scranton, Pennsylvania.  According to the admission ticket it was sponsored by the Scranton Jaycees in conjunction with The Scranton Times—Sunday Times.  The only Camaro to appear in the small show was a dark colored base sport coupe with base hubcaps, white wall tires and the white nose stripe that Pete Estes said would be available on all Camaros starting in March. 

All three pictures came from: http://timestribuneblogs.com/pages-from-the-past/throwback-thursday-auto-show/
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
May 1967, Detroit, Michigan

The middle of May 1967 must have been a slow time for Auto Shows because from Friday, May 12th through Wednesday, May 24th, 1967 Chevrolet chose to display a collection of its Auto Show “Dream” cars, including three Camaros, in its own corporate headquarters located in Detroit, Michigan.  An article entitled “GM BUILDING DISPLAYS CHEVY DREAM CARS” on page 18 of the Saturday, May 13, 1967 edition of The Detroit Free Press mentioned, “a display featuring seven Chevrolet ‘dream’ cars opened Friday in the East Exhibit Hall of the General Motors Building.  The exhibit, highlighted by the low-slung, rear-engine, experimental Astro I which was first shown at the recent International Automobile Show in New York, will continue through May 24. Besides the Astro I, the display includes the ‘Royale,’ described as perhaps the most luxurious Chevrolet ever built a four-door model featuring a special limousine interior; Capella, a specially trimmed Caprice coupe; Cherokee, a specially styled Camaro; Cabriolet, a high performance version of Camaro; and the Californian and Golden Cameo, a two-in-one exhibit including a pearl yellow Camaro mounted on a special trailer attached to a custom Chevrolet pickup.”
Picture is courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘PeteLeathersac’ at www.yenko.net
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Is it possible that the “Dream” cars came off their display at the GM Building on Wednesday, May 24, 1967 because they needed to be shipped to Indianapolis to be displayed at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the events leading up to and including the 51st Indianapolis 500 scheduled to be held on Memorial Day, Tuesday, May 30, 1967???  Since the Official Pace Car for the event was a 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 convertible, Chevrolet might have seen fit to show off a few more of their special products to patrons of one of the most prestigious motor racing events in the world.  Perhaps the Cinesphere Chevy Show or the Chevrolet Motorevue Exhibit was displayed on the infield or outside of the track.  Earlier in this thread I posted images of just such a “Chevy Show” at the 1966 Can-Am race at Mosport Park in Canada, so there was a precedent for this kind of exposure at a motorsports event.  Even now, Chevrolet has a large display featuring their current models and performance parts in the paddock at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during all the events connected with the Indianapolis 500.  Perhaps having the Pace Car for the event and approximately 100 additional identical “Festival” cars was enough exposure for Chevrolet, perhaps not.  Does anyone know if Chevrolet had a large display of “Dream” cars and production vehicles at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the Indy 500? 
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
May 1967, Sayre, Pennsylvania

The next public Auto Show where I found information on Camaro participation was The Valley Auto Show.  This took place Friday, May 19th to Saturday, May 20th, 1967 in Sayre, Pennsylvania.  According to Wikipedia “Sayre is part of the Penn-York Valley (“The Valley”), a group of four contiguous communities in New York and Pennsylvania: Waverly, New York, South Waverly, Pennsylvania, Sayre, Pennsylvania, Athens, Pennsylvania and smaller surrounding communities.” 

New Chevrolet models at the Auto Show is the topic of conversation in an article entitled “Mint Will Display Most Complete Line of Cars in Chevrolet History” that appears on page 28 of the Thursday, May 18, 1967 edition of The Evening Times, a newspaper from Sayre, Pennsylvania.  It states, “two names make their debut with the 1967 Chevrolet lineup of passenger cars seen by Auto Show visitors, to be shown by Mint Chevrolet at the Valley Auto Show.  The names are Camaro and Concours, says Dominic Mente, partner in Mint Chevrolet.  Camaro (pronounced ca-mair-o) is the name of Chevrolet's new personal-size car.  Camaro means "pal" in French.  Tested in a jet age wind tunnel.  Concealed headlights in a black grid grille and special exterior molding.  With the entry of the new Camaro as its sixth line of cars, the 1967 Chevrolet lineup to be shown at the Valley Auto Show by Mint Chevrolet offers the most complete model coverage in the division's history, say partner Joseph Mint. "The 48 new models of Chevrolet, Chevelle, Chevy II, Corvair, Corvette and Camaro offer an unparalleled variety of sizes, styles, options and new features."  Mint said, "With a new stereo tape system.  Headlights are included in a distinctive Rally Sport (RS) option.  Among the list of more than 400 options and accessories styled for the various lines.  Among these are front disc brakes as options on regular Chevrolets, Chevelles, Chevy II’s and Camaros.  Many optional features are SS (Super Sport) packages built around either the new 350-cubic inch or 396.  Corvette made its bow in 1953. Chevrolet also has a larger family of Super Sport high performance vehicles for 1967 Auto Show visitors to see, Mr. Mente noted.  Continued are the popular Chevelle SS 396 models, introduced in 1966.  New are SS 427 versions of the regular Chevrolet and the SS versions of the new Camaro.  Super Sports are available as either a sport coupe or a convertible, powered by the largest displacement engines available in the specific line.  Other individual markings are a special hood, distinctive ornamentation and trim including exterior body paint stripes, heavy-duty chassis components and red-line tires. To meet the demand for America's most popular cars and trucks seen at the Auto Show, Chevrolet manufacturing and assembly plants across the United States are geared to turn out as many as 12,000 vehicles a day.  The new Camaro nameplate now being shown introduces the fourth totally new line of cars by Chevrolet within the last eight model years.  Chevrolet expects to continue a firm hold on the No. 1 position in the industry."  The industry's newest 108-inch wheelbase car blends four-passenger roominess with sports car proportions and wide tread handling in both a sport coupe and convertible.  With the greatest choice of engines, trims, options and accessories ever available in a new line of cars, the Camaro buyer can literally ‘tailor’ his for 1967.  VISIT THE VALLEY AUTO SHOW THIS WEEKEND!  An ad for Chevrolet also appears on the same page as the article.  It is the one used in newspapers throughout the country with the headline, “We Won’t be Hard to Find at the Auto Show….Just Look for the Crowd.”  Each time it was used in a local newspaper the information for the local Auto Show was included the bottom. 

Pictures: www.newspapers.com
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:14:28 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Camaro Waikiki

In the summer of 1967 Chevrolet started showing a wildly customized Camaro convertible at Auto Shows and custom and hot rod shows across the country.  On page 49 of Camaro! From Challenger to Champion: The Complete History Gary L. Witzenburg writes, “in August, Chevy unveiled another interesting ‘idea’ car called ‘Waikiki.’  Based on an SS-350 convertible, it was ‘tailored’ for specific use by the sun and surf set.”  Although he mentions August for the unveiling, newspapers started publishing articles on the Waikiki in July.  The earliest newspaper article I have been able to find is ironically from the July 14, 1967 edition of the Honolulu Star Bulletin from Honolulu, Hawaii.  The caption underneath a picture of the Camaro Waikiki on page 16 of the July 20, 1967 edition of the Chateaugay Record and Franklin County Democrat from Chateaugay, New York states, “NOW IT’S THE WAIKIKI ON THE BEACH—The unlashing of a surfboard mounted on the rear deck of the Chevrolet idea car, the Waikiki, waits as Bob Schuster and Nancy Ann Townsend are attracted by the graceful movements of Loki Nani, a native Hawaiian dancer.  The ‘tailored’ Camaro Waikiki convertible is equipped with teakwood side panels; deep pile gold carpeting; actuated red, yellow, and green taillights; rear fender marker lights; chrome surfboard Y-mounting arms and a wood-grained console.  This auto show display unit pulls a special trailer with a hydrokart painted in bright okra and teakwood to match the car.”  The article underneath the picture and caption goes on to say, “DETROIT—Already riding high on a wave of popularity, Chevrolet’s sporty Camero (sic) is sure to make a big splash with a new auto show version.  The ‘idea’ car is a remodeled version of a SS 350 convertible and was designed specially to demonstrate the car’s versatility as a sports-type vehicle.  Called the Camaro Waikiki, it is ‘tailored’ to the sun and surf set.  ‘The idea is that the Camaro is more than just transportation,’ said a spokesman for the Chevrolet section which designed the display car.  Among the Waikiki’s many eye-catching features are a removable surfboard carrier which is attached to the body and extended real lamps that are green when the driver’s foot is on the gas pedal, amber when he takes it off and red when he applies the brake.  Side marker lamps are on the front fenders and rear quarter panels.  Sideview mirrors are attached to both sides.  Special head lamps are fitted into the teak wood-bar grille. Teak wood panels running full length along the sides compliment the bright yellow finish above and okra-colored body panels below.  Fifteen inch G-70 tires are mounted on its wire wheels.  The rare two-tone decorative theme is continued into the interior of the car with deep-pile gold carpeting and yellow and okra vinyl seats.  Wood grain panels cover the center floor console.  A specially-made trailer hitch is attached to haul a small trailer and hydro-kart, a sort of motorized surfboard painted to match the car.  The unit will be displayed at auto shows and other exhibits throughout the United States.”

1st picture: B&W July 14, 1967 Honolulu Star Bulletin 1a (www.newspapers.com)

2nd picture: B&W July 20, 1967 Chateaugay record and Franklin County Democrat 1a http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn87070301/1967-07-20/ed-1/seq-16/#date1=01%2F01%2F1967&city=&date2=12%2F31%2F1967&searchType=advanced&Search
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Camaro Waikiki continued

On a thread at The Supercar Registry, member “D Berger” from Grand Rapids, Michigan stated that “the Waikiki Camaro was done by a division of Chevrolet they called Chevrolet Show and Display. The head of the department in the late 60's was a fellow named Bob Thomas. His department also did the car and engine cutaway displays for the auto shows etc. It was a little unusual because most of the concept or Dream cars as we called them back in the day were done by the styling dept. I saw the car on display in the GM building on West Grand Blvd. back in 1968. (http://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87072&highlight=cherokee&page=3)   
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Camaro Waikiki continued

I believe the press photos for this car were taken on Belle Isle in the middle of the Detroit River.  That looks to be the Detroit skyline in the background.  Why they couldn’t have waited to shoot the photographs on a sunny day is beyond me.  They must have been pressed for time because the photos were taken on a miserably cloudy day.  This is certainly not the location or the weather that reminds one of Waikiki in Hawaii.

1st picture: www.flickr.com
2nd picture: http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html   
3rd picture: www.chevyhardcore.com
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Camaro Waikiki continued

The only event where I can confirm the participation of the 1967 Camaro Waikiki “Dream” car was the traveling custom and hot rod show called Autorama.  This particular Autorama took place Friday, February 23rd through Sunday, February 25th, 1968 at War Memorial Auditorium in Boston, Massachusetts.  A clipping from an unknown February edition of the Boston, Massachusetts newspaper called Record American shows the rear view of the car.  Notice the unique extra wide tail lamps and the rear side marker light inside the edge of the wood paneling.  This clipping does not provide a date for the event but a list of events scheduled to take place at War Memorial Auditorium in 1968 found on page 15 of a publication by the City of Boston Finance Commission, entitled “Comprehensive Review of the Administration of the War Memorial Auditorium”, confirmed the event name and date.

1st picture: B&W Clipping from a February edition of the Boston, Massachusetts newspaper called Record American (https://deepfriedhoodsiecups.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/dfhc-11152011/)

2nd picture: List: https://archive.org/details/comprehensiverev00bost
Scott

anything