Author Topic: Roof rail weatherstrip channel installation ???  (Read 2228 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Roof rail weatherstrip channel installation ???
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
I am wondering about how to properly position the three sided stainless steel roof rail channels that hold the top of the window weatherstripping seal?

I have my original channels screwing back into their original holes in the body but the oversize screw holes in the channels allow for a lot of adjustment.

When you are doing the final adjustment of your side windows, is tweaking the position of the roof rail channels part of the adjustment process or do you fix them in place and adjust the windows to wherever the channels are. (I have never adjusted window before!)

Using the impressions left in the channels by the oversize screw heads as a guide, I can get the channels pretty much right back where there were originally if that's the way to go.

I've also been told to put the headliner windlace in place and then push the channels against it and use that as a starting position and then tweak it if needed.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks......Dave

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Re: Roof rail weatherstrip channel installation ???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:54:16 AM »
When I installed mine I assembled the both pieces via the connector clip. You could see the connector clip position from all years of those pieces being together. I lined those up, used 3m black butyl tape, rolled between palms to about 1/4 bead, then placed that in the center of the trim right where the screws go, going the full length from one end to the other, over lapping where they meet. Start in the corner, using a awl to find the screw holes. Get the corner in place first, that corners not moving, not adjustable. (well maybe big hammer) There should be clear indentations in the channel where the screws bent the WSC when tightened down originally. Get all the screw in and snug up evenly. If you use to much butyl tape it'll ooze out and is mess to remove. I used white pipe dope tape, about 1/8" thick 3/4" wide on my first attempt. That's how I know about the 1/4 bead. I had that white crap everywhere and the white stuck out like waving a flag. Hope this helped didn't confuse your more.

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:15:29 AM »
Dave;
 Having just completed this after replacing my drivers window I would say its a little of both 1) doing the adjustment of your side windows and 2)tweaking the position of the roof rail channels part of the adjustment process. I also found I had to get the latex weatherstrip (found the foam types to stiff) and adjust the set up first without the glue (so I could go back and move the rail channel appropriately. Once everything passed the water test I final glued the weatherstrip. I did not use black butyl tape, what a mess to clean and no adjustability after install. I used the foam weatherstrip seal just like the factory. Sauron327 has posted some good suggestions before and even suggests pulling the door jam rubber stops and applying a ratchet strap around the body to set the seals. 

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:00 AM »
Doing more reading on this, to set side glass, the factory used nylon blocks clamped to the drip rail that had slots in them for the glass to go into. The glass was adjusted to fit in to the nylon blocks and then the roof rail channel and weatherstrip was set to the glass.

So I guess I will try to get my glass set first (without the nylon blocks of course) and position the roof rail channel afterwards. It's a starting point anyhow.

Thanks.....Dave