Author Topic: Register my Vin Number  (Read 960 times)

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
Register my Vin Number
« on: July 07, 2023, 01:06:41 AM »
Hi, I was not sure what area to post my Vin number.  I wanted to put it in the registry. You may already have information on it that I don't have. Vin Number 124379N640475.  1969 Camaro x77  05A build Date 71-71.  Original Shipping invoice to Porter Chevrolet, North Cambridge, Massachusetts. Had a friend do a back ground check through Law enforcement contact.  All they had was the car was first registered in Alabama in Late 1969.  We assume it was a dealer swap from Massachusetts? The contact could not find any other information other than titled in Missouri in 2017. Has drag racing decals from 1978 South Central Region NHRA. Pretty cool.
Trying to search some of the southern states for registration or Title information, etc. No luck yet.  Thanks, Jon

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Register my Vin Number
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 03:40:18 AM »
Welcome Jon.

Enjoy the ride!

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 11:17:15 AM »
North Cambridge MA is 1,200 miles from Alabama. Unlikely it was a dealer trade. Did the info come from the NCRS shipping data?

I did plenty of searches back in the '80s when it was cheap and easy. Title and registration are different paths; a car could be titled and registered in different states. Many states did not title cars in those days. I believe Alabama was one, registered cars by county making a search nearly impossible. A car that is not registered for several years may drop off the radar.

The cheap and easy days are long gone. Currently, many only go back 10 years and redact personal information.
Learning more and more about less and less...

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 01:44:12 PM »
Where in Ala?  It could have been someone that graduated and got a job with NASA that originally lived in Mass.?.  Just a thought.  William is correct.  Ala is a pain.

DuWayne Ladner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
I also, Iowa Jon, would like to if I could register my VIN in the database. Mine is 51 years owned, not original or born with drive train. Have a dealers packet in glove box with owner name address and confirmed by documentation from the Corvette group. Document Services. No other docouments in dealers packet other than owners manual, no not even the holy grail P-O-P. Have successfully found the original owner, who in 1971, shipped out to Vietnam to help close out that conflict. He left car with his dad to sell or trade, because of no place to store in ChicagoLand. I’m in Deep South Miss. and at a standstill as the void in ownership. Thanks.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 04:13:16 PM »
Hi William,  yes the shipping data came from NCRS.  I tried some local friends that are police officers and all they could see is my current title in my name.  So then I tried a friend that has some connections in Law Enforcement  FBI.  They were able to see that the car was first registered in Alabama.  Told me there was no title information other than Missouri and my current title. I am just having fun trying to track down some of the history.  Thought the sticker from South Central Region NHRA from 1978 was neat.  Of course it could have been put on at any time from just someone with a random sticker. It also had a Southeastern Louisiana University Sticker in the back window along with a fraternity sticker from what appears to be the late 1970's.  Also could just be a coincidence. Someone with a random sticker. Putting it all together along with minimal rust relative to most cars in the north i assumed it lived a while down south. Finding this site has been great.  Lots of great information.  I have contacted most state in the south for information. Yes, Alabama has been a no go. Waiting to hear back from some of the other states. 

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 04:42:15 PM »
Hi Cook_W  my source said that the registration only showed Alabama as the first place the car was registered. It did not list a city or county or even a title in Alabama.  I don't know how all these different Law Enforcement data bases work.  I wish we had access or I could pay someone for access. Seems like different people i talk to in Law Enforcement give me complete different answers.  I assumed everyone had the same access when it came to vehicles. I am finding out that Local Sheriffs , law enforcement don't seem to have the same access as other Law enforcement departments. 
I was not looking for personal information.  I really was only interested in Cities and States, Dealers that the car went through over its history. I just enjoy the history of cars.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »
Another aspect is open titles.

Very common in the hobby for someone to buy a car privately, never title or register it. I have known of several high-value cars that were in collections for decades under those circumstances. Chased a few that the owner of record had sold years prior; no idea where it went. Common practice among 'flippers'; they want no record of ownership. Creates gaps in ownership history.

Never buy a car on an open title.

Learning more and more about less and less...

anything