Author Topic: Vintage Air - Overheat  (Read 4700 times)

mikecio1

• View Profile
Vintage Air - Overheat
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
Hello all. I have a 67. It has a 1968 BB 396 bored 30 over. I am running a Q-jet which works fine. I redid the engine bay a few years ago in anticipation of installing AC I bought all the right tid-bits including a radiator that was suppose to be for an air car. Clutch fan (its good) Like I said The car was originally an air car so I decided to install Vintage Air Unit last week.
Now I have cooling issues.
With out the A/C on it runs the usual between 180-190. As soon as you turn the A/C on the temp starts to climb, it has gotten as far as 210 so far. When it gets to about 205 or so the engine starts to ping on acceleration. When you turn the A/C off and turn the heat on the temp goes back to normal with out the ping.
When you stop the car the radiator spits water out (I do not have a overflow catch).
I have been asked to check my fan clutch , water level for air pockets, Idle too low (which wouldn't matter at travel speeds ).
Suggestions have been retard the timing, get a aluminum radiator, electric fan.
I just cant believe that a factory setup could not handle this little unit.
I am open to other suggestions and ideas.
Thanks in advance for putting in your 2cents
Mike

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Air - Overheat
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
I think some air shrouds had a special seal added to keep air flow going through the radiator.Your added condenser not only restricts flow a little, in AC mode your are kind up preheating the air. I also run 160 tstats and drill a couple 1/8 holes in them for air pockets. It seems to help. One of my cars after trying everything I had to add the water wetter stuff. It did lower the initial temp at 5 degrees.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

mikecio1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
I will get some extra seal and fill the gaps in the shroud. I am going to try and retard the timing a bit also.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
What is your timing now before you retard it?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

wiljoe765

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
I have the Vintage AC setup on my 69 with a 454. It consistently runs 200-210, maybe even a little higher when I slow down. Should I put in a cooler thermostat?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 06:49:17 AM »
Thermostat does nothing to lower the temperature.
Read http://www.camaros.org/pdf/corv_cooling2.pdf
Kurt S
CRG

anything