Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Z-Bar / Clutch Bellcrank Plug

(1/4) > >>

Edgemontvillage:
From my research, at the time of vehicle delivery the clutch bellcrank or Z-bar had a plastic plug inserted in the center shaft hole that was intended for a grease fitting. During routine service the plug was replaced with a zerk fitting to allow the Z-bar pivot points to be lubricated from inside the shaft. I am trying to determine what the factory Camaro original plastic plug looked like and if were there variations of the style of plug used and differences between Norwood and Van Nuys plants? 1964-1981 Corvettes used a red plastic plug (see photo) which is reproduced (it is NCRS judged). From my research I have seen 4 variations of the plug; NOS Z-bars use an 1. orange plug with a center cross bar (likely so it can be easily removed with pliers) 2. orange plug with a tab. 3. orange (red?) plug with no tab or cross bar and 4. the
Corvette version in red Does anyone have an original Gen 1 Camaro plug?

NOS Z-Bar with Plug: orange with cross bar (source: eBay)

NOS Z-Bar with Plug: orange with tab (source:eBay)

NOS Z-bar with Plug: orange, no tab or cross bar (source: HBC)

1964-1981 Corvette Z-Bar Plug: red, reverse view  (source: Paragon)
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156633854@N02/]

BillOhio:
Hi Lloyd
The plug in mine is like the corvette one with no center. I dont remember if it had letters on it. Chick and i discussed this once, maybe he still has the pictures i sent him

Edgemontvillage:

--- Quote from: BillOhio on February 01, 2018, 05:16:20 PM ---Hi Lloyd
The plug in mine is like the corvette one with no center. I dont remember if it had letters on it. Chick and i discussed this once, maybe he still has the pictures i sent him

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bill, is your plug orange or red (per the Corvette plug)? It appears orange in the photo. 

69Z28-RS:
Bill is faster than I...  :)    I had to go down to the basement, and take a photo of mine (fortunately I had not reinstalled it since removing, cleaning, lubricating); all I had to do was *FIND* the box it was in.. :)     Mine and Bill's appear to be the same, (hugger) orange and 'inset'...  :)

BillOhio:
I dont have much better to do right now that look at this stuff!!
Mine looks like garys, looks like his z bar made it all the way in the phosphate tank tho
Hard to say if it was red and turned a little orange now but it has an orange cast to it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page