Author Topic: Camaro Numbers by State  (Read 3930 times)

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Camaro Numbers by State
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:37:41 AM »
With all the talk of data, legacies, authentication etc..I got to thinking, with all the data CRG has at it's disposal, is it possible (translate: without massive effort on the data holders) to have a breakdown of how many Camaros , from information known in the database, are in each state? I ask because I live relatively close to where the Norwood plant was located and I worked about a mile from the plant. I have gotten to know some old timers in my area that worked for GM. And boy!, the stories! A lot of stuff was going on. One of my friends told me about a warehouse that was up the road from the plant that had round the clock security. All the ZL1 engines were stored there, according to my friend. And there was a lot of street racing, by employees, after work, right in the area of the plant. For sometime now, I have assumed that there was a higher concentration of F bodies in the Cincinnati area, just because they were built there. For those who don’t know, Norwood was a city within a city. Yep, on the East side an area was carved out and the city of Norwood, yes city, was surrounded by the city of Cincinnati. I digress, I would like to see a breakdown of registered cars, or cars in the database, broke down by state (cities would be even better). This may prove out my suspicions that more early F bodies are in Ohio or Kentucky/Indiana ( a quick geography lesson, Cincinnati is in the S.W. Corner of Ohio, bordered by Ky. & In.), than the other states save perhaps California. Or it could be that Texas, because of its size, has the most early F bodies? That’s it. If it is a monumental tall order, I can go back to just wondering. Thanks CRG.

Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Camaro Numbers by State
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
It would be interesting information. I have always thought that the northeast (PA) and surrounding was a area of high muscle car concentration in the day maybe due to the number of dragstrips close to each other. But today I think the number surviving the tin worm may show more cars left in the south and west.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
With the passage of time and the dry unrusted cars moving all over country, through eBay and the large auction houses, I would assume that the saturation is pretty even all over the country. I would say  the highest concentration of first Gens is where ever Steve S. Lives.....😉
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
with all the data CRG has at it's disposal, is it possible (translate: without massive effort on the data holders) to have a breakdown of how many Camaros , from information known in the database, are in each state?

I digress, I would like to see a breakdown of registered cars, or cars in the database, broke down by state (cities would be even better).

Bentley, it’s not possible. The amount of data on each car varies a lot. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:16:55 PM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »
I think it is possible to get a rough idea based on members here. Similar to what they do for paint usage percentages. If each member said what state that they their camaros reside in.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Grew up in Cinci.  Friends and even relatives that worked at the Norwood plant and Fisher Body.  Throughout the 70's-80's and even 90's there was always a huge concentration of F-bodies around town.

Now living out here in AZ I'm not so sure any other state would have the concentration of classic cars in one place that we have here in AZ.  Seems most of California has moved over here too now. Tons of Norwood F-bodies out here, mine being one of them, and as far as I can tell, spent the majority of it's life out here.  My other F-body is a Van Nuys car.    Phoenix is a huge concentration of classics out here with no shortage of F-bodies.  I think as the people get older that own these cars, they eventually migrate West.   Year round cruising weather here, not to mention the biggest car auctions in the country is right here in Scottsdale, with at least seven different auctions going on the month of January.

Finding them all state by state might be a monumental task.  With privacy laws in most all states now, I doubt even the DMV could be of help.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:26 PM »
Another idea for original delivery, is if each person that has  a NCRS report or an original protect-o-plate stated the original city and state, that may paint a little bit of a picture.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:19:34 AM »
Another idea for original delivery, is if each person that has  a NCRS report or an original protect-o-plate stated the original city and state, that may paint a little bit of a picture.
Well, I'll take the bait. Interested to see the assembly plant versus selling dealer state, too.
Assembled Van Nuys CA, sold at Covina CA, now resides in the state of New South Wales, Australia  8)
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »

Unfortunately there is a pretty large vin gap with no information from NCRS (mine included) so there is quite a bit that would be missed using that method, I would think anyway.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
There may be a way to research current information through the individual states DOT database. I think (at least) Tennessee used to allow this for market data research purposes, it would probably be generic (ex: 124379N or VN XXXXXX), and probably would only include current titled/registered vehicles, but it might be possible. I saw the regulation rules on one of the last title search forms I did, a couple of years back - it had a paragraph about releasing general info for research purposes only. The fly in this ointment - when I went to transfer the title on the '68 a few years ago, the title did not appear in the state database, as it had been 16-17 years since it was last registered - we had to create a new title for it in order to transfer and register (and pay the taxes on it). I imagine my X77 is like that - I don't think it has been registered (tagged) since 1978. Worth a shot -

Regards,
Steve 
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

anything