Author Topic: A First Generation Camaro LEGACY ?  (Read 11786 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: A First Generation Camaro LEGACY ?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Figure out what you want to include in the database/archive/registry...  Which could include nothing but the VIN and the owners name (and major options/color/trim/etc...possibly)?  Or it might be more, but as you try to include MORE, your problems increase and the owner's hesitancy to provide the data increase as well.

I have a 42 MByte file I've been developing for the past 10 yrs.  Initially it only included the major items:  VIN, info from the cowl plate, data from the engine, trans, etc.. and some historical information as to when I purchased it, who from, and the state of the car when I purchased it.  After I found/registered on CRG, each time a new 'topic' came up, I'd check my car and make notes and/or photos of that part on my car.   As a result of my desire to keep the car original, and thru my involvement with those on CRG, I've now included photos and notes on essentially everything we've discussed (from my car).  I keep the photos included in the *printable* file small enough to fit in a 1/4 page but make sure the 'info' is obvious (on my computer, I keep the large highest resolution files in case I need to refer to them).  When I rebuilt my brakes, I took photos of the calipers, dates, etc.. wheel cylinders, the original rear brake shoes/hardware (which I retained).  When I replaced the soft parts (rubber brake lines) I retained and photographed the originals (due to Steve Shauger's suggestion to do so).   I would not pass along ALL of the information I've gathered to such a registry; it would only be passed to the 'next owner' if I'm alive when that happens.. :)

BUT.. I would pass along relevant information (dates, codes,etc) to such a registry if we arrive at a reasonable level of information that the folks here on CRG are agreed to.  In fact, over the last 10 yrs, I have included info and photos of the parts from my car in CRG threads when it was useful to answer a question or help another CRG member.

I don't know if this helps you, or not, but FWIW, this is what I've done on a personal level.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
Good point. So what your saying is all of Jerry's inspections if not kept by the seller, once they disappear are gone forever.

Not a true statement.

My $0.01.

If you wanna start your own database go for it.  BUT I honestly don't see a point unless it is a personal goal.  If you are worried about future potential owners getting screwed it has to be up to them to search out the info on the car and to seek out experts in the hobby.  The world has become so digital now that info is out there one way or another.  CRG forum as a whole does a very good job of "policing" fake or suspect cars.  If you are concerned about the future of CRG I can almost guarantee if I know Kurt and the other guys that are core members there are steps in place to move this group forward in the future.  Who is it?  IDK and honestly not my concern.  I'll continue to do my thing and do my own research with the help of every resource I have available.  I help when I can or feel it is necessary.  Other times I try to input some humor.  Some might but I'm sure most don't but this is a HOBBY.  If you allow it; it will become a job and will no longer be enjoyable.  Think you had the right idea in a previous post about being out in the driveway sanding on the tri-five with the kids.  That is where it really counts.   

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »
Darryl wrote:  (in part)...
"...  this is a HOBBY.  If you allow it; it will become a job and will no longer be enjoyable.  Think you had the right idea in a previous post about being out in the driveway sanding on the tri-five with the kids.  That is where it really counts. "

I agree 100% ...    :)     
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
Darrell can you expand on what you know about Jerry's reports? What point would there be in archiving the reports, if none of the contents could be divulged?

BTW- we have our own CRG and MRG (Mustang research group), in our household, my kids know more about first Gen Camaros and Mustangs than most of the guys I run into who "used to own one". While in the garage this past weekend, my son wanted a breakdown of X77 vs. X33 vs. RS (concerning a 69Z) , so naturally I busted out a huge piece of cardboard and propped it up and busted out a piece of chalk, and Educated him. He followed that up with a Q & A session. It was priceless, I am not sure who enjoyed it more. It is fun to not even have to get on a forum, or seek out someone to talk cars with, when he is around. Sometimes I just have to wait until he is done playing nerf guns, or finishing his homework to do so...  ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
GW writes , “...If you contract with someone to do a service for you, providing acess to/information from something you own, ownership of that information does NOT pass to the service provider.   Without requesting/receiving the right to do so....” Unless your initials are HRC.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
GW writes , “...If you contract with someone to do a service for you, providing acess to/information from something you own, ownership of that information does NOT pass to the service provider.   Without requesting/receiving the right to do so....” Inless your initials are HRC.
;D

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
What Jerry or Steve do with the information they gather is their business - and no other person really needs to know details of how it’s handled.

Information gathered by CRG is for research purposes and as Kurt said earlier, it’s confidential in most cases. Or at least at a minimum the personal details are confidential. 

What you are wanting to do would be nice, but the probability of it happening is extremely low. About as high of a chance as there being world peace.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »
Well thanks, but my question was directed towards Darrel.  What Steve and Jerry do is thier Business, I am just interested in the info. If it could benefit the hobby than why not inquire about it? ???
I wouldn't discourage anyone for gathering info, whether for themselves or to benefit others seeking good info towards making a smart purchase.
It is a hobby, and yes whether it is CRG, TC, or a experienced inspector, a buyer has to seek out some info to help themselves out. If any info we gather helps out others than great.👍
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:15:03 AM by BULLITT65 »

anything