Author Topic: A First Generation Camaro LEGACY ?  (Read 11791 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
A First Generation Camaro LEGACY ?
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:49:55 AM »
How much do we love our hobby? Will all first gens eventually turn into a SS or Z/28?

So with the appearance of another fake 69Z, I got to thinking:20,302 is a lot of 69 Z/28's. If it were less like 68 it would be nice to have a (smaller) registry. If each Z got inspected and then there was a national registry of known real cars, a potential buyer could then contact them, and verify a real car. I think you could still do it with the 69 Z and SS and pace cars, you would have just need to develop a database to keep track of the cars by Vin number, and trim tag. You could put notes in like Jerry M verified drive train, or Steve S inspected car at MCACN and verified original stamped components.
If this was done and could be viewed online. Would this be an easier way to curb guys passing off fakes? or maybe it would cause guys to copy known cars, so maybe pay for a document, like a rough draft MARTI report, on what is known about a car?

Seems like many of us who like to police ebay and the fake cars out there could come up with a database that could be over seen by a team of guys, and passed down to younger generations as time goes on. These cars are going to outlive us, hell some of them are coming back from the dead with re-bodies (wouldn't it be nice if we could get a re-body?  :))
I think the CRG is a great resource for many owners, but I think developing a data base for all to utilize would be a nice Legacy for us to leave behind for the Camaro owners that follow us.

I would appreciate some input from the many CRG members and administrators on this one. I may even get a poll going if enough good ideas or questions are raised .

(BTW -I think Kurt, Ed and others have done a good job of posting info on cars that are parading around as something special now, I just would like to expand this)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:29:25 AM by BULLITT65 »
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: So with the appearance of another fake 69Z, I got to thinking
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:53:54 AM »
Thinking about this more, all the fake cars (unverified)  that would be inspected would alternatively develop their own database. A car could have attached files stating possible re-stamp block, or new trim tag.

On the verified cars that have NOM motors you could delve further and report the dated components/drivetrain components and partial Vin numbers, and this could serve as a back door "Orphan database" that may further aid those trying to locate original components.

Plain jane cars that have been verified, if added to the database, then could not be cloned in the future. Seems like it could be a great thing for the 1st gen Camaro.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:35 AM »
Still brainstorming on my own here, but I think if you were looking at a car to purchase and it was in this database, wouldn't it be worth the $20-$30 to get info on all the past that is known about a car, with possible file attachments of block stamps, maybe pics from back in the day. It would be great where possible to have a list on each car of former owners, and their contact information, or families contact info.
I can imagine how exciting it would be for my kids generation when they get into their 40's (30 years from now) to look up info and find a guy who owned the 67 camaro they just purchased back in 2018 ! And the many stories guys could tell about their good times in the car, and what it looked like back then.

While verifying the most copied (clone)first gen models  initially, as time goes on it would be nice to expand the data base to all first gen Camaros. This way each car could potentially have a file.

Time will catch up with all of us. Many of us take better care of our Camaros than we do our own bodies and health. There will be more passionate Camaro owners coming along. My motto: Lets keep the torch burning bright on these special cars for many years to come  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:30:32 AM by BULLITT65 »

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:27:27 AM »
My mind is still cranking away here:

As a Camaro owner how many of you would start off voluntarily submitting pics of your car, your contact info, and possibly providing date stamp, vin data, and trim tag data, to contribute to a SECURE collective first gen data base?

I could see some owners being hesitant, but if scammers could not just pull up your info willy nilly on the internet, and it was a paid secure service would that put some of the worry to bed?

It may not be enough incentive for guys to think of the future owners of their cars, and many of us live with our camaro info close to the vest. I get it. I am just trying to see from the perspective of someone 30, 40, 50 years from now, and them thinking its to bad those old farts didn't get with technology and compile all their info, for us to follow...

I do the brakes, pull transmissions, reupholster seats, with my kids observing or taking different levels of interest. I am trying to pass along my knowledge. I have had them all block sanding my 55 chevy, in the driveway. I hope Steve and Jerry have bright pupils to pass their knowledge onto, because eBay and and these money making machine auction houses are going to be around for a long time. Seems somebody has to step it up and start pooling all this info together into 1 place.
Shelby has a registry, Yenko has its own registry. Just seems like we need to open a discussion to take our hobby, to the next level. Would you guys agree on that?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
and then some...
So while I am not a Pontiac GTO buff ( I do like them though), I wonder how many fakers are detoured by the PHS?
I think part of clamping down on these guys making more rare cars out of plain jane cars, would be to spread the word and promote this service. The guys that clone cars, would end up having harder time. The dealers who pass these cars along (some innocently, some not) could check a CAR FOX type of service on a first gen camaro, and know if it had a clean bill of health, or if they were getting damaged goods. I bet if the news spread and could be verified in a data base, many dealers wouldn't even bother with selling a car that couldn't be verified, and would want to be advertise that their car is verified, or post a copy of the report, like CAR FOX, to show they are upfront with the info of the car. In a sense this may fill the void that many have voiced about jerry's reports possibly?
(I am thinking a report that would be in conjunction with a jerry inspection, or a MCACN inspection)
Ex 1968 SS BB NOM motor car
Jerry documents this in his report. So while jerry's report is good at the time it is done, what happens in 10 years when the guy wants to sell and thinks - I will get a restamp motor, provide the certificate from Jerry and ditch the rest of the report. Lets say he sells it to a friend, and then that guy sells it after a few years and has no idea of the restamp, and presents it as numbers matching?
Well not so fast if this cars info was in the network, it would show how long ago Jerry did the report. It could give an additional option to purchase Jerry's  original notes on the car. to verify what he saw 10 years ago. There are many scenarios where it seems this type of service would be useful. (I think)

maroman

• View Profile
Re: A First Generation Camaro LEGACY ?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
Sounds VERY ambitious. I usually do my thinking like this while riding the lawn mower. It would certainly help someone that WANTS to be honest about their car. But are there that many out there. Most have no idea what or why we care. I have even been told you can make any car a Z or big block no one can tell. I would applaud the effort and do whatever I could to help but with 20,000 real cars I think it a monumental task.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
your comment about the lawn mower made me laugh.  ;D Well the thought struck me, when Steve replied on the other thread that there are still 40,000 69 Z's still parading around out there. Many of us post about these cars, but chances are slim a potential buyer will see our comments. (sometimes it occurs). I just thought you know Kurt has many (MANY) files and pics of cars and stamps, but unless one of us posts about it, and Kurt takes time out to look it up in his data base, there are many that stay under our radar. Kurt is just one guy, and I assume has a life outside of The CRG.

Yes it is a monumental task, but if it was taken on, I think one of the biggest hurdles would be guys just submitting info on their own cars. Next would be the co-operation of Jerry, Steve,  Kurt or the CRG to contribute all the cars they have data on. This may be the larger sticking point. 1 you have money involved since I assume these inspections are jerry's bread and butter, and I could understandably see how he would want to safe guard his end of it, legally and protecting the value of the service he provides. I would assume Steve keeps good records as well. Kurt tends to also keep much of the information close to the vest, in an attempt to prevent any further deception, I would guess.

It may be pie in the sky, I am just one guy, but the mission seems worthy, and I know many of wish we could do something to turn the tide.

I really liked the story of Cooks first Camaro that got t-boned and he put back together. I just imagined that car trading hands a few times, and being marketed as a rare original BB car. Cook never intended that, but once you sell a car who knows what guys will do to squeeze more money out of them.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:48 AM »
www.saac.com/registries.html
This effort needed to start decades ago, the gennie is out of the bottle (clones) and can never be contained.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:45:41 AM »
This effort needed to start decades ago, the gennie is out of the bottle (clones) and can never be contained.

That's a good example (Shelby American club)...  A friend who is a renowned Cobra/Shelby expert and nut recently wrote me this when I sent him the link to the BBC video on Shelby:

"Thanks, it’s a pity that most of the "Cobras" shown in modern videos and pictures in this segment are recreations or replicas.

- 1962-1969 = 998 chassis of all variants, Cobra, 427 Cobra, and 289 Sports
- estimated original VINs now used in mostly or complete recreations since the 1980s = 100±
- estimated originals VINs now used on chassis reconstructed from parts or at least some original
   something 200±
- estimated number of chassis of any source claiming an original chassis number something like  1030±
- estimated number of replicars in any variant combine from 350± makers is something like 60,000±
   and growing every month"
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »

I don't disagree that the effort needed to start decades ago, BUT I think our corner of the hobby could still benefit from putting forth the effort. Wouldn't it be great if one day a guy who had one of these fakes, decided to turn it back to a plain jane car?
I think as Gary pointed out, even the guys who had the idea early on to put together a registry, did not curb all of the copy cats out there. BUT at least there is a go to source to verify a car.

I appreciate your input Jim, Doug (and Gary). Even though this topic only has 4 members, it has been viewed by many.
Maybe a good poll question would be: Would you volunteer your information on your car to build such a data base?
I am open to suggestions though. :)

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:04 AM »
Would you volunteer your information on your car to build such a data base?
I am open to suggestions though. :)

I would & I have...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »

Like the old saying goes: The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »

I agree, but I also like to think of the CRG as a cork for that bottle to an extent. Over the last several years I've been happy to witness the exposure of a lot of outright fakes, clones and questionable cars posted on the Forum, and I have learned a ton about Camaros that I never dreamed of even after owning a documented car since 1973, and being an Chevy owner and enthusiast long before then. I do agree that a registry would help the future generations; the drawback would be there is always a holdout, or a barn car, or a recluse that would not hear of it or want to register a car, forever leaving that opening or loophole in the database.

Still, the existence of a database would have helped an friend of mine - the guy bought a "Z" online, took this guy's word for originality, and reportedly paid an extreme amount of money for it. He brought it to a local show a couple of years ago, and invited Cook and myself to take a look at it. After about a minute's worth of cursory inspection, I had the unhappy task of telling him it was definitely not what he thought it was, even though it was a pretty car. I don't think he has spoken of it to me since. Sad part about it, it wasn't even close to being correct, visually flagging it's history to anyone that cared to look. A few pics and a question to the Forum in advance of the purchase might have saved the deal, too.

Just my two cents -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
It appears to me from some of the latest posts that CRG has already saved a lot of potential buyers from some disappointing purchases with all of the knowledge in this group and a great resource for anyone considering a Gen one purchase... Keep up the great work!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »
Good point Steve. I think half of it is having the service/registry, but the word has to get out there, so guys like your friend could have had a go to source. To bad you didn't live closer or get the opportunity to inspect the car with him prior to purchase, he is one of many I am afraid.
I think the books that the Shelby registry puts out, may work for them and a smaller number of cars. But still thats 3 volumes at 1200 pages a book?

While Cyber security is definitely in the headlines these days, with even credit bureaus getting hacked, I think the way to go is having a electronic data base. I think paying a fee to get all the known history on a Vin number, (maybe even how many owners, when it was restored/or painted) would give people a good heads up prior to purchase hopefully. I think the best people to provide the initial info is the current owners. We have all taken a big interest in trying to learn the history of our cars, past owners and such.

Now last year I got the idea to start collecting data on Late August of 69 Camaros. I have a late 08C car and there were some different transitions during the month. So I put together a spread sheet, for any kind of numbers I could find on my red car. I then made contact with others, and got as much info as i could on there cars. Right now I have 17 late August cars, which is not many when you consider how many were produced, but guys were willing to share the info, which was great, and has produced some interesting info.
I have just started collecting info on early 69 Camaros, since I purchased my early 10B L.A. car. 
So for instance if Gary took on October/ November of late 69, and we started having 1 guy responsible for each time frame, it might make it do-able.
I know some guys have already been collecting data on specific models, I know Cook has a 68 BB spread sheet going.
I also think Len has info pertaining to July Camaros of 69.
So there is some gathering of info that has already taken place, spreading the work out, makes it less monumental.
I think it would just be a matter of putting all the info together, where we could access it when needed.

anything