Author Topic: Shot in the dark  (Read 4270 times)

BG

• View Profile
Shot in the dark
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
Brief background: In 1969 a good friend. Edward (fast Eddy) (dual citizen, USA/CDN) purchased a 69 rs/ss z28. He worked for GM Production in Detroit. He was a hot car enthusiast. (car specs: white stripes on blue, spoiler, 302, 4speed, plus) Here is the big question.

He had the car outfitted by GM with side exhaust, aka side oiler, similar to corvette's with the slot covering.
Where is the car now?  Can that car be traced or identified by GM records? Does anyone have knowledge of its whereabouts?

History: He left GM and we met up in Ottawa where we decided to drive L.A. The car would have been there for a couple years as he got married but did come back to Ottawa after a split. I briefly met up with him again in Ottawa but cannot remember if he still had the car. Our contact thereafter was infrequent as I had moved west. After several years he passed away due to an auto accident. I can provide or fill in the blanks if anyone needs more information.(L.A., Ottawa, full name, specifics)

Thanks for reading this post. As you can imagine if the car still exists the value would be substantial. More important, if someone has any knowledge about Ed, I would be interested in communicating.

BG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Shot in the dark
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:11:55 PM »
HI BG, Welcome to the CRG.

So I read your post and their were a couple of things that stood out. Chevrolet made a 1969 RS/SS, and a RS Z/28, (as well as a stand alone RS, and SS and stand alone Z/28), but at no point did they ever make a RS/SS Z/28.  If it had a 302 in it from the factory, then it is likely a Z/28. The best way to track the car, is not Ed's information, it is actually the car's info( VIN number would be the most important). If you do not have the Vin or a way of figuring it out, then your chances of finding the car are less than 1%. Even with a VIN it can be hard to locate 1 car, after almost 50 years. If you have any pictures of the car that may help some guys remember the car.
I hope you are able to dig up some info, so we can help you out.  :)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:11:58 AM »
Where exactly (which facility) did Fast Eddie work at and what was his position?

Side exhaust was not Regular Production Option (RPO) for any First Generation Camaro. Did the car go through the GM Tech Center before he received it?

Since the owner has passed away, as mentioned, the best way to find the car would be from the VIN.   
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
I have never heard the term "side oiler" used in reference to side exhausts. I always called side exhaust "Side Pipes" and a side oiler was a Ford thing having to do with the way their performance engines routed the oil pressure. Is there a Chevy side oiler?

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
Possible. But I have never heard that terminology used on a Chevrolet produced product.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
Possible. But I have never heard that terminology used on a Chevrolet produced product.

Agreed!   No such thing!    The OP is/was very confused on several issues....   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
BG tell us more...

I asked a few questions above.

BG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
Unfortunately back then I didn't have the foresight to get a VIN or pictures thus 'shot in the dark'.
As to the badges, I suspect Ed may have had those added. He had the cooperation of production people to get the side pipes.
He worked in production in the old GM tower in Detroit. If I recall the Kan Tiki Restaurant was across and down the street.
Basically from what I recall he was responsible for ensuring that production facilities received parts as per schedule (California, Michigan, ?). I remember him saying "I shut down the line in LA today" etc.
I suspect the car was made in a Michigan facility. As for Tech Center, no info.

If I recall the reference to the 'lingo' side oiler was used as per the Shelby Cobra and the exhaust residue that showed up on the back fender. I am dating myself.
I wish I had more info. I thank all who participated. I will add any info I think would help if it becomes available.
Regrettably the most important info is unavailable.

arocars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
I have never heard the term "side oiler" used in reference to side exhausts. I always called side exhaust "Side Pipes" and a side oiler was a Ford thing having to do with the way their performance engines routed the oil pressure.
Agreed.