Author Topic: Plans for your camaro?  (Read 20735 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for your camaro?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
Jano...  so what kind of 'professional coating' is he putting on your exhaust pipes?  Some of us need to know.. :)

High temp powder, rated 850 degrees, maybe 1200, we were bouncing through products for the pipes. We looked through a batch of steel product samples and he found one which matched the exposed tail pipe, with a low shine. Exhaust manifolds are getting treated with what he was spraying on some industrial oven grates, high temp. 12-1400. Slight texture. I'm aware black is not correct, and thought of doing them with a silicon product I saw on a Chevelle site. But putting something industrial grade on them appeals to me, plus I like black. I'll see how everything comes out, experimenting. I'm sick of moving them around after all these years. And...money saved on a re-pop exhaust( lots) can be put to better use on the car. When finished, If you like the outcome, I can PM you his contact info Gary.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
My plans are to finally drive and show it. After a 15 year hiatus, it is back on the road and with a fresh restoration.
In the picture I am getting ready for a spot buff and polish before I put the car cover on it. I took it for another shake down run this past weekend to check the front end alignment I did. It felt so good to be driving this car again.

Mike

Yea time flys, I think I'm around eight years in this project.No desire for it to continue to be shop decoration. Two shows next year, then street duty. At under 40,000 miles,there remains a little play room on the odometer. Lord knows my kid will drive it when they plant me, lol.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
Jano,That is some really original looking crud on your BV.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
springs...

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »

OMG!! Whole underneath was sprayed with it, also layers of Rustoleum and burn out box rubber. On top around 20 years of dust. But..it did entomb the steel all these years, no corrosion. Plus car never saw snow. Or rain for that matter. I never saw the wipers work, bench tested ok. Wanted to post some inspection graffiti. I like finding the stuff.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
I'll have some "after" shots when it gets home.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »

OMG!! Whole underneath was sprayed with it, also layers of Rustoleum and burn out box rubber. On top around 20 years of dust. But..it did entomb the steel all these years, no corrosion. Plus car never saw snow. Or rain for that matter. I never saw the wipers work, bench tested ok. Wanted to post some inspection graffiti. I like finding the stuff.

Hey!   It's only 'graffiti' if it's put on during restoration; the original stuff was FUNCTIONAL... and we like seeing it (at least I do).. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
 :) I do like finding and trying to replicate per my pics. I toned it down a bit with the steering linkage from what I found,,,but did "tag" it. So my beautiful, restored, powdercoated garage art BV will have a slash of white and splash of green to show something was there.

Next on the agenda is getting the engine and trans in. My April is pretty booked, hoping for it to be breathing life by June. Summer is always busy, finish underhood and rehang front clip late summer, early fall. Hopefully I can get it in during the summer to have the headliner replaced, while its sitting. #@&#g mouse left a quarter size hole in the rear of an otherwise pristine piece of material.While we were having the house built, and it was in storage.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 05:21:32 PM »
20 plus years ago already.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
I think seeing the (crud) is neat too. Some of the "survivors" I see could use some. And I agree, never scraped off greasey crud and found rust.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »
I hope to actually drive my Z10 more than once this year! ;D
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Update: Got the diff back last week and installed. Very pleased.
             Exhaust came back about 2 weeks ago, happy with the manifolds Don't hate, but really don't love the rest of the exhaust. Down pipes and muffler/ exhaust tips nice. Some scale was discovered top of pipes going over axles. No longer smooth. Can't really see, but I know it's there. Finish a bit too much on the aluminum side with a slight texture. Nit picking, but want the look of a "natural" -new exhaust. Going with a Gardner. And sent the Caltracs back to Jegs  last week. Keeping all stock. That will be one for the next project. Summers coming fast and the upholster is backed up. Plan on having the headliner replaced prior to the front clip, engine installed. 1 small mouse hole the size of a quarter, otherwise it would have presented as new..

OE yoke, 4:10's, axles, bushings and springs on the shelf.

I guess over restored concerning fasteners, but I like the detail.
Soaked the drum hardware in evaporust and treated. Rabestos spring kit. OE drums and backing plates shot in Eastwood 3x semi-gloss. Shoes....actually had less then minimum wear showing, so yup, reused. Already seated in the drums, which are well in spec. Cars really just my high dollar model, no not sweating if she's not breathing life till winter.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
cont..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
A few more...

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
BTY, Henderson Driveline, out of Westlake OH did the rear end. I've known Tony for many years. Bullet proof rear ends and drive shafts.

My biggest issue was having this converted back to a c clip axle. Preference would have been going with the Ford style housing ends and axles. Bigger bearings and safety engineered in. But ground pounding days with this car are over, so they corrected my 28 year old hacksaw job (for the eliminators) and sleeved outside the carrier for added strength. Seamless work, looks great.

anything