Author Topic: Plans for your camaro?  (Read 20741 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for your camaro?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:48 AM »
My z28 needs brake service. Wheel cylinders, caliper rebuilds, pads, shoes. Any suggestions on who has good quality rebuild parts? Also need new rubber brake lines.

Eldon,

Rebuilding the brake calipers and cylinders on a '69 is a simple and inexpensive process;  Your local parts store probably has the caliper repair kit for $10-12 or so (both sides), and also the wheel cylinder repair kits or complete wheel cylinders also very inexpensive.    If you can't find them locally, order from RockAuto.... :)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5632131&cc=1434753&jsn=577

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1969,camaro,5.0l+302cid+v8,1434753,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+cylinder,1952

My car hadn't been driven in 35 yrs, and I didn't have to replace any of the rear brake hardware..  it was like new.  For the front I rebuilt the calipers using a kit, did a light cleanup/true cut on the rotors.  Blew out the hardlines with alcohol and replaced the soft lines.  I also rebuilt the hold off valve and cleaned the distribution and proportioning valves.  what wasn't as cheap was having Gregori rebuild the booster, and Whitepost rebuild/sleeve the MC.   I used DOT 5 for refill since the car will not be driven very often.

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 04:13:44 AM »
ALRIGHT!!! Look at all that work gary has been up to....
Gary it sounds like you will be ready to roll here in the coming months?

Is that the  "Plan" for your Camaro??? ???
 ;D
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 04:23:26 AM »
Austin?  Are you trying to rile me up?   :)

Nope, just trying to give Eldon a little headstart since I did that work a couple of years ago... :)   I've told you.. My camaro is on hold for awhile...  :)   until I can repaint my hood, do some touchup on the fenders and reinstall the front...  painting for me has to wait til Spring...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »
Any of you tried the trailer tire covers? They are priced pretty cheap and my trailers tires seem to dry rot while my cars stored inside out of the sun do not. Last fall I got a new boat trailer that will be used maybe once or twice a year and I would like to think I could actually wear out the tread for a change. My car trailer tires have about 1500 miles on them but I am about afraid to go far on them.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »
Yes I keep the tires covered.  It does help, but prolongs the inevitable it seems.  The heat is also brutal on tires (blacktop and sunshine 300 days a year)  Seems once the tires reach 4-5 years old they become an iffy proposition, both cars and trailers.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
yes I also use them to protect the tires from the UV. Also I have found the higher rated trailer tires (D) to be more heavy duty , and less prone to blowing out from heat/age/ weight. I think amazon had the best prices. You just have to measure how tall your tires are because they make the covers in different sizes. You want them a little snug, so they don't blow away, but still cover the whole tire.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
I need to get some for this old trailer. My enclosed sits between the back fence and my garage so it doesn't get hit with the sun like this one does.

Funny story about this trailer. I bought it brand new in 97 and only pulled a few times. A year later I drug it all the way to Tarpon Springs, Florida to bring home my 69 Z. I went down & back 2800 miles in 3 days. I didnt have a spare so I borrowed and old spare from my brother in law to take with us. On the way there, we were driving through Shreveport, LA @ 5 PM rush hour, by now I had been on the road for about 14 hours straight and some car comes up honking the horn yelling about the trailer tire. We pull over and the right rear tire is gone. Not just the tire but the rim and the studs as well.  :o So I find an Pep Boys or something and buy some studs & lugs and proceed to fix it in the parking lot with basically no tools. Back on the road and I make to Florida mid morning the next day. We pick up the car and turn right around & head for home. I made it almost all the way back the NM state line and the borrowed spare tire blows apart and darn near rips the fender off the trailer. When I get stopped in the middle of nowhere, at about midnight, I find a big chunk of the tread has flown forward and lodged between the tongue of the trailer & the deck. With no spare I jack it up and move the right front tire to the rear axle and limp into the closest town, Clovis NM. Of course nothing is open at this time so I stop at a gas station and start offering to buy anyones spare tire that stops in. I finally get lucky and someone sells me their spare and off we go again headed for home. Four or five hours later I finally make it home. I back the car & trailer on to the side of the house dead tired and head in to get some sleep, I had been basically up for 3 days straight.  I get a few hours sleep and go out to unload and notice the left rear trailer tire is leaning and upon a closer look, the bearings are gone, I mean completely gone and only the nut & about half the thickness of the washer is holding that wheel on.   The most amazing thing is...when that tire blew & beat the hell out of the trailer it never touched the car.  :o

So the moral of story is even if it's new doesn't mean it's right. lol.. I would have never thought any of this would have happened with a basically brand new trailer.  ??? Aside from that, it's been a pretty good old trailer. lol..

hrlyfxdl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »
My main plans this winter is to get my car into a shop, still searching for a very reputable shop, to have my rear axle changed out from the 3.73 that's in there back to the stock ratio 3.31. My entire goal for my Camaro is to have a daily driver, I do some freeway driving, so this will help when paired up to my M20. It's been delayed a little bit, but have my sights set on hopefully getting it in at the end of the month, so if anyone in the Utah/SLC area knows of a great shop let me know. This summer I want to get my engine rebuilt and swapped out, have a line on an original 350 from a 67 Camaro, but holding out to see if I can find a 350 from a 68 (my original engine is long gone, but want a period correct motor to go back in it and get rid of the 350 truck motor that's in there).
1968 Camaro SS 350 8L34677?
07A  E107  TR 712  U-U

5hane

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
Exhaust: out getting professionally done. Cleaned up L tail pipe to reveal part #, matches UPC. There is an industrial coating shop very near by(minutes) He's a car guy and takes side projects in for a really nice price. Just wants a pic of the car when it's done for a calendar. Rest of the part #'s will get documented when returned. None on muffler. Note diameter difference L vs. R tailpipe. Also posted R tailpipe weld. Discussed some years ago in the forum.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »
continued...

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
Jano...  so what kind of 'professional coating' is he putting on your exhaust pipes?  Some of us need to know.. :)

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
My plans are to get the 427 tripower setup that I have already rebuilt on my L78 for the cruise ins. If things stop popping up maybe this weekend. Also have a golf ball size dent in the Z (yes I did it) to have fixed and painted.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »
Differential: complete rebuild to include new 4.10's. After around 49 years, the 88's are coming out. I still the possess the original GM 4.10's, but they are to remain boxed up. C clip eliminators are coming off, housing ends are to be repaired . Yoke inspected. Also getting fitted with a set of replacement springs from Mr. Harris. And circa 70's Lakewood slappers. Rear drums original, well within specs, shoes and hardware were replaced around 1990, I think, but present no signs of use...dirty. BP getting blasted and resprayed, new brake hardware and cylinders. Bob also hooked me up with a pan for the 302. Only difference I see in the springs is 1 dimple on 1 leaf: L&R.
Bushings still in great shape, but will be boxed and shelved with the others. I may post a pic of the later, if I find a part#, didn't look. I'm aware no rocker trim or push bars on the bumper,,,doing Day 2. On the fence re-pop polys vs. BFG's. Considering the originals are in storage, but not safe to drive on, I'm leaning towards the BFG's. If the car was just trailer bound, I'd mount the originals. Two shows next year, and it's seeing street duty.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
 My plans are to finally drive and show it. After a 15 year hiatus, it is back on the road and with a fresh restoration.
In the picture I am getting ready for a spot buff and polish before I put the car cover on it. I took it for another shake down run this past weekend to check the front end alignment I did. It felt so good to be driving this car again.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:29 PM »
Cont...

anything