Author Topic: Silver paint on 68 SS hood ornaments/louvers  (Read 4740 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
Silver paint on 68 SS hood ornaments/louvers
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
My question is regarding the originality of silver paint around the individual chrome plated stacks of the late 68 style hood louvers. Over in the Research Topic section there is a thread titled "68 SS Hood ornaments" that collected input from readers to determine when the SS 350 hood ornaments changed from fin design to the velocity stack design. Part of that thread also covered details of the stack design including that some original ornaments had a mat silver paint applied around the outer part of each individual stack opening. Toward the end of the thread it seems some originals may not have the silver paint after all. I would like to get a good answer from the "originality" forum topic group. So my question is - is it correct for the original stack style hood ornaments to have the mat silver paint applied to the outer part of each stack (but not on the upper chrome edge)?
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

RAS68

• View Profile
Re: Silver paint on 68 SS hood ornaments/louvers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
Is there no one on the Forum today that knows anything about this and is willing to chime in? Darrell, aren't those some of your pictures on the "68 Hood ornament" thread over in the Research topic section? I would have continued with that thread but it appeared old to me and I think the "originality" discussion forum is also a good place for this topic. I hope I can get some information before the weekend so I can make a decision whether or not to try and add the silver paint to my repro SS hood louvers which do not have this feature. Thanks in advance for any info or pictures.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
Sorry Allen, as of right now there is no concrete info IMHO on when 68 louvers had the vertical sides of the stacks painted.  I feel confident that all had the floors of the louvers painted.  Just not certain on when the change happened.  And yes those are my pics and yes the green car does not have paint on the vertical sides of the louvers.  I think at this point it would be considered acceptable to have them either way.  IF IT WERE ME..  I would make an educated guess to say mid year would be the change.  But that is purely an opinion.

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »
Good information as always. Thanks. Let me get you to clarify a few things. So all the SS hood louvers in 1968 had the sections between the individual stacks painted silver ( you call it the floor) - is that right? Furthermore, some of the early issues had the silver paint on the sides of the stacks as well but later ones did not? Am I getting this right? Your inputs are invaluable and I appreciate it very much.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
I can not say with 100% certainty that all floors were painted but my belief is that they are.  Now as the vertical portion of the stacks would be painted after mid year as all 69's had the louvers painted from my observations.  You are giving me too much credit as this is a collective thing where we all use data points to help collect information and then make educated assumptions/guesstimates.  Contrary to some (sarcasm), I am definitely not a "know-it-all"  but I have a passion for the knowledge and am always learning.  Having to be wrong from time to time is part of the process.     

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the clarification and the prompt reply. I too enjoy learning about the little details and I want to add them to my car as I can. I think I will paint the floors and just leave the sides as they are since my car is a 68_ it should be easier to mask off like that anyway.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 02:47:54 AM »
Allen,

Here is a thread on the Team Camaro site which discusses hood louvers. I’ve posted a few pictures in the thread which may help answer some of your questions regarding the silver paint....

http://www.camaros.net/forums/34-restoration-corner/414474-nos-hood-louvers-3.html

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »
You cant go by NOS parts vs assembly line ones.  This is why I said previously more data needs to be collected on this subject and quiet possibly never get 100% confirmation much like the semi vs gloss b/o tail panels.  Never ending discussion on person's opinions and observations.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
I looked at some original unrestored stacks. I found no evidence that there was ever any silver paint on the stacks although I have seen them that way before. I see no paint in between the stacks either. I do see evidence of black paint around the inside bottom perimeter of the entire louver itself with the black paint going up the side wall. I tried to take a picture but the flash ruins the picture....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
Let me restate a little more clearly what I said previously.  Of the ones that had silver paint had silver on the floors.  The outside edge on all 68 louvers had the black.  When I said I felt all of them had silver on the floors I was referring to the ones that had silver paint at all.  A little confusing but hopefully that makes a little more sense of what I was trying to say..

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
The largest difference in the reproductions are the wire screens and the backer plates.

Originals are .040 Anodized Aluminum wire and the repros are .035 stainless wire.

The repro backers are vinyl covered the originals are BLACK ANODIZING which looks DEEP PURPLE to the eye.

These are the originals on an X66 conv 12B Norwood - I ended up using new bezels and the original backers and screens.

ORIGINAL ON LEFT  NOTE the color difference in the wire... the ALUMINUM is BRIGHTER.

ORIGINAL on the right... note that the pattern is nearly straight for the original THE REPRO is SKEWED at least 15deg.

Wire color difference ... STAINLESS REPRO on the top...

Backer color difference.  ORIGINAL on the LEFT

CLOSE UP of repro bezel with original wire screen and backer plate.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 02:42:43 PM »
Thanks James for the excellent information and great close up pictures. This is the kind of information that really helps in the originality area.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR