Author Topic: Just bored and wondering ?  (Read 7284 times)

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Just bored and wondering ?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
I could have purchased the original L78 short block for my 70 Nova. I traced the car back a couple owners and it was a speed shop that had it.
Since they knew I had the car they put a premium price on it. Problem is they decked the numbers off and I couldn't justify the price tag without the numbers. Plus the top end was gone, Heads, intake, dist. and carb.
Only info I got out of it was the Cast date which was unusually early.
So I'm sure there are other orphan blocks that will never make it to the list due to machining.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Tx-Z 302

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:32 AM »
A few years back I had a 67 Corvette 327/300HP HE long block obtained in the early 80's. I was about ready to junk it 3 years ago for scrap metal except for the oil pan & some other items but a NCRS judge friend insisted on putting it on the NCRS orphans list so I gave him the information even though I am a NCRS member. Reason I did personally was I had been told years prior that 67 had been turned into a big block car and assumed incorrectly it was a waste of time. Well he puts the info on the NCRS website and bingo, about 6 months later I got a call from my friend that a person in Canada called him and said it was out of his car. His car was born with the long block I had but he confirmed his car now had been changed into a L71 big block. LOL It apparently had changed hands many times over the years and he said he knew when purchased it was not a real L71 car. Well he purchased it and it now resides in Canada with the Corvette it was born with. His plan was to assemble/restore and place it on an engine stand with the car. The big block was going to stay where it was.
The reason I had obtained the aforementioned HE long block was to possibly put in our 67 Corvette since it was originally a low horse 327, but it had a DZ block in it when we purchased in the early 80's. Since it was an early DZ block the vin was right there on the pad and I was able to find the owner In 2008. He purchased the car in 1981 with a 350 in it. That engine was also reunited with its original mate so I'm two for two and both were tied in one way or another with our 67 Corvette which we still have!

Thanks for sharing chick
Chris W

Tx-Z 302

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 03:52:46 AM »
Some of you may remember a few years ago that I listed an '69 L78 block that turned out to belong to an existing car - the current car owner and I could never make the deal to exchange it, so it still sits in the garage waiting the day when I can complete it and use it in my own L78 (which has a badly damaged original block). Not everyone places a large premium on numbers matching motors for one reason or another, I guess.

On the other hand, I have a VIN numbered MO on the stand (that I wish I could find the Z it goes with), posted in the Orphans section with the rest of the forlorn orphans for a long time now, still no response. I wish I had the national database access that law enforcement uses to use for detective work on ones like this - it would be a modern-day treasure hunt for sure.

Regards,
Steve

Please tell me the MO you speak of is 18N467701 ?   ????   ????????????      ? Please?? Lol
Chris W