Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Original door mirror fame

(1/4) > >>

68camaroz28:
During Legends judging I had a demerit since our original door mirror had no mold line in the mirror frame but I had had it re-chromed so it was assumed including me, that during preparation the mold line had been removed. The mirrored glass is dated October 1967. I had taken out the dated glass by soaking in mineral spirits for a couple days. Seemed unlikely they would have buffed that seam out but at the time the only thing I could think of at the time.   
Our mirror base showing the underneath part # and the top area normally seeing a mold line.

My assumption that the mold line was taken off at the chrome platters kind of changed or at least cautioned when I observed a very original un-molested Lemans Blue 21K mile 68 Z/28 being judged in that always great survivor class at this years MCACN which just happened to have the same looking door mirror base as ours.

Has anyone else seen this no seam looking door mirror base? To be honest I’ve never looked at mirrors on cars prior looking to see if the mirror had a mold line or not but I am now. Thanks in advance for any information.

cook_dw:
Chick this probably doesn’t help much but of the samples I have all of the originals have the seam.  Now I do have one that is a 4 of 74 and it’s seam is VERY faint.  I can post pics later but doubt it’ll help.

68camaroz28:

--- Quote from: cook_dw on December 13, 2017, 11:00:13 PM ---Chick this probably doesn’t help much but of the samples I have all of the originals have the seam.  Now I do have one that is a 4 of 74 and it’s seam is VERY faint.  I can post pics later but doubt it’ll help.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Darrell but agree it would not help the case but thanks again!

68camaroz28:
Randy (427yenko) on Team Camaro sent me a picture of his 5 DMI 9 mirror on his 69 Camaro. Same type as ours and the 68Z survivor at MCACN. Anyone else? Come on now, its the holidays..... Merry Christmas and New Year to All!

68Zproject:
Hey Chick, the one on my LOS 05D has the seam.  It has the same part no. as yours and says C2.  The seam actually goes all the way on front and back into the "rocket ship" shaped mount that the mirror ball attaches to.  That being said, it doesn't prove much of anything.  However, this did make me realize my mirror is upside down which I couldn't fix until I took it off to look at it for your thread, so thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page