Author Topic: firewall overspray  (Read 25815 times)

Ron C.

• View Profile
firewall overspray
« on: February 04, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
does anyone know if the black on the firewall was painted before the color of the car or after? Im just wondering about the overspray at the top of the firewall, Im guessing the black was painted first then the color of the car was oversprayed at the top cowl area and down the front about 2 inches. Jerrys book says they didnt mask this area so a overspray is correct and not a masked line seperation. Any pics ?
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: firewall overspray
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
The firewall blackout was sprayed AFTER the body color painting was completed, using a simple cardboard spray shield to make the separation - appearance at the separation varied widely; on my original Norwood 02D '69, the separation is several inches below the top of the cowl.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:06:56 PM »
JohnZ,

Is it true that the general guide was to paint the firewall black up to approximately the weld seam or just beyond, where the cowl top panel and firewall floor pan met? I have been told that some 69's have been found with spotty rust along this seam where there was no overlap between the body color and blackout paint, living it prone to rust.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »
so if the black was painted last the color (white in my case) would go down to about the trim tag? Useally the trim tag gets completely blacked out.Im  asking this for my 67 which the tag is about in the same location as the 69.see pic

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 08:57:55 PM »
The separation on mine is below the cowl tag, roughly along the sealed seam; mine is a dark color, however (Fathom Green), so they probably didn't pay much attention to where the blackout started, as the separation point isn't obvious like it would be with a lighter color.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:04:25 AM »
john, can you post a pic of your cowl?
thanks
buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »
Here's a photo, but you can't really see the separation due to the dark body color - it's generally along the sealed seam between the cowl and the floor pan, just below the cowl tag.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
John, was this a hard and fast rule? I ask because my 68 isn't like that. I've taken two pictures for you to have a look at. Notice in PICTURE-1 the yellow Vent Grille and the black Cowl. Note in PICTURE-2 the yellow paint "shadow" at the fender bolt where the black paint didn't reach.

I looked in my (limited so far) 68 database and found 3 other cars like mine, although most of the others that I can see are like yours.

Ed
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:04:44 PM by bertfam »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:01:27 PM »
Ed, processes varied between plants, and within the same plant - few things were "hard and fast" rules. However, the one in Picture 2 has been worked on since it was built - the firewall blackout operation was done in the Fisher Body Paint Shop, long before the hood and fenders were installed by Chevrolet on the other side of the plant.

Mine is a '69 Norwood car (02D).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
Okay, that makes sense. And I agree. It appears that my car (or at least "parts" of my car), has been repainted. I see what you mean regarding the fender "black". It should be yellow. I scrapped off some of the paint, and yes, it's yellow under there! Not sure why whoever repainted the car went through the trouble of painting that area black, but who knows.

Ed

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »
Attached is a pic of my survivor 69 L34 built 9B of 68. The black is almost to the top and has the correct factoryfeathered edge. The placement of the black edge varies from car to shift and plant. I have inspected many survivor cars and I would not say that the seam is a good reference point. I have many more pics of this car as well as other survivors.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:23:38 AM »
Unrestored firewall 69 Z28 built 5A. Note the orig PTB stamp and the RED written in crayon, under the black.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 02:58:53 AM »
Another 69 Survivor Z28 built 4D. Hope this helps... I have other years as well.
Steve Shauger

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 04:00:04 AM »
Looked at an original paint Z tonight.  Yellow/Black, 02D NOR.  Black under the cowl, only the second one Ive personally come across.  The other also a black stripe Z.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »
thanks everyone for all the help. ;D I have one more question,JohnZ if you might comment on this, when the rockers got sprayed we all know some color was evedent under the car,my question is was the subframe on the car and did it also get some overspray or was it attached after the body was sprayed? Im thinking it was attached after.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:04:48 PM by Ron 69RSZ »

anything