Author Topic: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro  (Read 21516 times)

bossboy302

• View Profile
Re: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 03:05:36 AM »
Thanks, Jon.
Yes, the color is darker than previous paint.  I do feel that it will be much closer to what it was back in '67, if a bit darker.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 01:39:02 AM »
I'm really excited to see the finished product.  This car really deserves the kind of restoration that you have been doing to it so kudos to you and Tony for the time and effort.

Here is a picture of the paint cutout on the front header panel.  Not the greatest shot but better than nothing.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:00 AM »
Jon, you beat me to it !  lot better than I have to offer !

Brian, the car is looking great !

As for the emblem and stripe configuration, I'm sure Jon will come up with something from his extensive files, the car appeared in a number of publications.

There is this, not the best, this is the pre production Z tested at Riverside in late '66. Jon is this stripe/emblem relationship representative of the production item ? (this image is from the Michael Lamm "The Great Camaro" book) it looks like there is a slight cut out on the stripe for the C.

Don't want to side track the thread, but have some questions regarding that first year.

Jon, I know this is probably already been covered here, did all '67 Zs come with stripes ? or was it a delete option ? I see some early photos with and with out ?

I also have images where there are no emblems, were they deleted to save a few ounces on race cars ?

I also have seen images of race cars with the bumble bee stripe on the nose, were some SS/RS cars converted to 302s due to a lack of availability of Z's that first year ? would there have been extra 302 engines able to be ordered, or did some build there own ?

Thanks, Mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 03:08:49 AM »
I think the picture I posted is a better reference for the stripe cutout around the emblem.

Several people tried to order '67 Zs with no stripes and none of them were successful. I believe 1968 was the first year you could get a Z with no stripes. Yes, race cars would delete emblems to save weight and maybe for other reasons as well. There definitely were SS cars and plain jane Camaros used as a basis for a Trans-Am car. You just needed the 302. Any other questions not related to this specific car, please post in a different thread.

I found a good side shot of the car from Sebring which shows the Alan Green Chevrolet lettering was not just in black but appears to have had shadowing around the letters in green as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the latest photos....best yet showing lots of detail; the shadowing, that the "Hilton" is a sticker, door meatball sizing, etc.
Unfortunately, we missed the cut-out for the header emblems, as it was a new piece without holes, and the stencil set had no cutout, although it did in the rear. We may add the nose emblems later. Dang!

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 08:25:41 PM »
GMP/ACME have just announced their version in 1/18 scale.  Their first 1967 versions they have released have been pretty disappointing.

https://www.acmediecast.com/products/details.cfm?ProductNumber=18909&category=1967%2D1969%20Chevrolet%20Camaro

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the model.

Here's a picture I just got from Brian showing the re-lettering on the trunk lid.
Jon Mello
CRG

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the model.

I can get them for less than retail, if anyone is interested.

PM me.

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 02:49:27 AM »
I'd love to be able to tell them that the car will appear quite different than the current images they've probably used to do the model.....

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:07 AM »
Latest pic from Brian.  March 1967 vs April 2019
Jon Mello
CRG

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 03:36:53 PM »
Very nice.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »
Here's how it looks in black & white.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Great color combo.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
The car looks fantastic in that latest picture, especially the B&W version!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:04 AM »
Here are some pics I took at Laguna Seca last weekend where the car made its racing debut after its recent restoration.

Jon Mello
CRG

anything