Author Topic: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro  (Read 21518 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Brian.  I would love to see you talk Tony into ditching the rear spoiler and having it look just like it did at Sebring. That would be seriously cool.

Mike, yes the 2nd Kent race was from '68, the other races shown are from '67 although this car was not at all of them so I'm not sure why they are listed like that. The car did get changed to dark green in late '67, I'm not sure why they didn't wait until after the season to do it. The green on that car model is not accurate but I don't think I have a color picture to show you.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:28 AM »
Here's a color pic of the car from Sebring in March '67. You can see the white roundel for the number is not the same shade as the color of the car. Even in a b&w shot you can see the shades are not the same. The letter T is the paint code used for Capri Cream that year. The green has got to be a custom shade. I've never seen a stock GM green that looked like that.

The rectangular emblem below the Chevrolet emblem on the trunk does say Camaro on it. If you're going to leave the rear spoiler on Tony's car, and I assume you are, then you should forget about bothering with the emblems as they would mostly be covered up by the spoiler if left in that position.

Also, note the "Alan Green Chevrolet" lettering on the fender was originally black, not green.

Allowing for photographic 'interpretation', the green color in this photo appears very, very close to the trunk lid color that we found under the white. I believe this trunk lid was once painted green, perhaps the one time the car ran green with white 'outline' stripes, or maybe from the sister car that was reportedly painted in an opposite fashion.

Maybe another GM green available in 1967. Maybe a custom mix.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
Cadillac had a firemist color that was close to this. But I thought the firemist colors were early '70's.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 03:37:58 AM »
Show us a picture of the green paint you're talking about, Brian. You're saying it's the same color as on the slot car?

Attached is a photo of Gary Gove sitting in the car in late '67. It sure seems to be a dark green at that time. Also note the interior is basically all black unlike the black and gray combo it is now. Tony has a binder on the car with Gary Gove's phone number and address. Try contacting Gary to see if he knows what color green they used. Also, the original mechanic Larry Webb may also know, if he is still around.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 03:43:50 AM »
Here's a colour chart for '64 Cadi's, they offered a green in "Fire Mist & Fire Frost" through '67 and beyond.

Google Cadi Colour charts for various years, I didn't want to post them all here.

Once again, colour reproduction is not the best, and I'm sure some of these charts are faded.

Mike

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
The car is now bare metal and sealed. Sheetmetal work underway. A host of prior damage/repairs.
No question this car was once green, as media strip revealed green all over, not just deckled as previously thought.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:25 AM »
That's exciting to hear, Brian.  We'd love to see progress pics if Tony was OK with that.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 02:03:43 AM »
Well, where has the time gone....
As with large projects such as this, it gets done when time allows....which is code for very slowly.
The bodywork is complete. The replacement RF fender has been flared and shaped to match the survivor. The real chore was the rear. There was so much structure missing. The partition, parcel shelf, and hinge support (and hinges) had all been cut out and tossed years ago.  So much of the trunk floor had been cut out that you could put your hand INSIDE the frame rails....there was no top!  Obviously the rear leaf spring mounts were left in the breeze. Handling should be vastly improved. The real key was the correctly dated '67 deck lid. (thanks Chad, Jon). It has been modified for the fuel filler and will look (and raise on hinges) exactly like it did in '67. No spoiler. The old deck lid (with spoiler) will be fitted, prepped, and painted so owner has the choice. Prior damage required the replacement of the rear tail light panel and the rear window filler. I will be adding the lower deco strip along the rocker panels as appeared at Sebring '67.
The car will be painted next month. One thing I need is a correct stripe stencil/template. Please feel free to point me in the right direction for those.
Happy to post pics, but being denied due to file size. If there is a way.......
Thanks.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 03:21:58 AM »
Thanks for the update, Brian.  Sounds like you are making nice progress and fixing some stuff that really needed the attention.  Stencils & Stripes makes a template for laying out the stripes.  I have an original paint '67 Z trunk lid I can loan you to help mock those stripes up in the rear.  I'm having some computer issues right now but might be able to post some of your pictures if you send them to my personal email.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 02:47:29 AM »
Here are a couple of restoration pics from Brian.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
The car is now painted white, er, rather the correct Capri Cream, and awaiting stripes. Looking very good. Question on the correct emblems for an early Z: Appears to be a "Chevrolet" and Camaro" together on the rear deckled and the front header panel. On the rear, the rally stripes 'clear' the emblems. Same on the front? Thx.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:21 PM »
I don't recall seeing many Capri Cream cars, should be very good looking when finished.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 01:11:09 AM »
Here are a couple of restoration pics from Brian.

That is a unique looking fuel filler setup. Doesn't look like it would fill very quickly.

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
Stripes. Green with correct black outline.
Now, this color appears a bit darker than what was previously on the car, however, in the sunlight, it appears close to the many photos available of the Alan Green Cheetah. Could never find anyone to confirm what color green was used in 1967, we chose a 1967 Cadillac color "Tropic Green Firemist".
It will look killer in the sun!
Next up polishing, then the sign painter to hand letter the "ALAN GREEN CHEVROLET" in era-correct black, and  "GO GO GREEN" on decklid. The window trim is out for polish, and much of the interior will be returned to its correct black.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 02:43:10 AM »
Thanks for posting those photos, Brian.  The car is looking pretty awesome and I'm very happy with what you are doing. I hope Tony is also.

I do think the green on the stripes does seem a little darker than original but it's hard to say for sure. With no actual info to go on, you've done the best that can probably be done and I do think it will look very good.

Yes, the front stripe should be cut out around the C on the Chevrolet emblem on the front header panel. I have tried to find a good picture of that but so far no luck.
Jon Mello
CRG