Author Topic: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro  (Read 21524 times)

bossboy302

• View Profile
Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
In the process of freshening up the Alan Green Camaro. Trying to correct a few details. Paint question:

The current notes list the colors as:

'87-'93 GM Pickup White
'67-'68 GM Hugger Green Metallic

I'm no GM guy, but don't think these are the colors used in 1967. While the '67 color chart lists "Ermine White" (which I believe is the original base color) I find no reference to the green. I'm somehow reminded that Alan Green Chevrolet may have used a 'special mix' green of their own concoction, as used on the Alan Green Cheetah. Can anyone confirm this, or point me in direction of correct color(s)? Thanks

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Paint colors on the Alan Green Camaro
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
I think the Nova has been restored. May be the same color? Pictures of the Nova appear on the HAMB from time to time.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
Jon Mello knows all things Trans Am Camaro, hopefully he'll see this and give you some answers.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:02 AM »
The Green on the T/a car sure looks groovy, brite metallic green with medium flake
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:07:47 AM »
'87-'93 GM Pickup White
'67-'68 GM Hugger Green Metallic

I have personally never heard of "Hugger Green Metallic". The color looks a lot like the 68 Rally Green. It may be a custom or color that GM offered for another line.

As for the "87-93 Pickup White", that's certainly not what they used in 67. But it could have been any white offered by GM, not just Ermine White.

Or they could have been anything from a paint manufacturers color chart or another car manufacturers line. When you're looking for a showcase color, you just don't have to stay brand specific.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
The car was originally T-T Capri Cream. I don't know the shade of green they used for the stripes. In '67, the pinstripes around the stripes were left black and only the inside of the stripes was green.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
Thanks, Jon...
I vaguely remember being told the green color as a custom AG mix, since the dealer had a body shop, it would have been easy.
Will check the many period photos I have (mostly b&w) for the black outline.
Thanks again

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
Do you have this one?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

gcptc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 03:16:26 AM »
Stripe goes around camaro emblem on the trunk Nice touch to do this

gcptc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 03:17:49 AM »
Chevrolet emblem I should say

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 03:53:27 AM »
Thanks for the pic. Yes, I have this one, but not as clear as this. Definitely a black surround. Number and circle, too.
Are those emblems "Chevrolet" and "Camaro"? Car currently has neither. Thanks!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 04:45:17 AM »
Here's a color pic of the car from Sebring in March '67. You can see the white roundel for the number is not the same shade as the color of the car. Even in a b&w shot you can see the shades are not the same. The letter T is the paint code used for Capri Cream that year. The green has got to be a custom shade. I've never seen a stock GM green that looked like that.

The rectangular emblem below the Chevrolet emblem on the trunk does say Camaro on it. If you're going to leave the rear spoiler on Tony's car, and I assume you are, then you should forget about bothering with the emblems as they would mostly be covered up by the spoiler if left in that position.

Also, note the "Alan Green Chevrolet" lettering on the fender was originally black, not green.
Jon Mello
CRG

bossboy302

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 05:08:56 AM »
Thanks Jon (and all) for the great intel.
I am hoping to convince the owner to ditch the rear spoiler, and add in the black as needed.
If the spoiler is a must, maybe we can add a '68 spoiler.
If needed, I'll mount the emblems higher on the deckled as was done for spoilers.

This photo will go a long way to making my case.
More to come....Happy T-day!

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
First happy Thanksgiving day !

Don't want to divert the thread, wondering why the "Green" '67 Camaro changed colours during the '67 season. Later in the year the car is a dark colour with no stripes, I only have B&W pics.

In '68 the car is dark (is it Green ?) with white stripes, Jon had posted a photo of the car at Kent. Is this the '67 car skinned as a '68, side markers, no vent doors ?

I have seen a slot model of the car,  the Sebring '67 colours are reversed.

Not sure about the accuracy of some results on the net, some on "Racing Sports Cars"  I have these, I think Jon might have put them up here somewhere at some point. Not sure about Kent at the bottom of the list, two different events ?

Mike in Canada

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
Here's a pic of that slot car I mentioned in my last post.

Mike