Author Topic: Misc markings and labels  (Read 1464 times)

boomer632

• View Profile
Re: Misc markings and labels
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 06:07:50 PM »
My 06A body is NOR355020 for reference with yours..
69 SS NOR 06A 711 57 57 X66 L78 M22 BU

vetteskip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 01:14:25 AM »
Next up - wiring harnesses. Some of you know that I was the shop forman at Factory-Fit/American Autowire for the first 15 years of the company (great products, great place to work). So I am a wiring nerd for sure! My 69Z has unusually nice original harnesses, and all of them still retain their factory tags. Here are some.
6297663 BC - under dash, manual trans, console, gauges
BC - This is the dash harness code on my Body Broadcast Sheet
6297542 VC - front light, with gauges
VC - This is the front light harness code on my Body Broadcast Sheet
1969 Z28 X33D80, original drivetrain, unrestored
1968 Z28 original drivetrain
1967 Corvette L71 36k miles, unrestored
1969 Corvette 350/350 own 30 yrs

vetteskip

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 01:17:57 AM »
6297602 - engine harness, with gauges
8721689 - rear body harness, dash to rear quarter, coupe
8721692 - rear light harness, standard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 01:45:43 AM by vetteskip »

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:24 AM »
Vetteskip,

Have you checked under the carpet just above the high beam switch?  There's a tag on the wires just before the plastic wire connector to the switch?  If there is one, can you post a photo of it too?  What was the exact location (i.e., distance from a particular connector) under the dash of the 7663 BC tag? Thanks!

BTW, there would be another harness tag under your console if you ever remove the shifter plate.  There could be other tags under the dash depending on options installed, but would require digging under there for access.

Bernie
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 10:38:13 AM »
There are more wiring harness tags on your car than what are listed on your broadcast sheet because Fisher Body installed some wiring harnesses before delivering the body to the factory.  The Fisher Body harness tags were color-coded and had the last four numbers of the part number, but did not have a two-letter broadcast code.  Only the factory-installed harnesses had broadcast codes which were listed on the both the chassis broadcast sheet and body broadcast sheet.

Bernie
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

vetteskip

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2024, 12:51:08 AM »
Vetteskip,

Have you checked under the carpet just above the high beam switch?  There's a tag on the wires just before the plastic wire connector to the switch?  If there is one, can you post a photo of it too?  What was the exact location (i.e., distance from a particular connector) under the dash of the 7663 BC tag? Thanks!

BTW, there would be another harness tag under your console if you ever remove the shifter plate.  There could be other tags under the dash depending on options installed, but would require digging under there for access.

Bernie

Bernie - the '7663' tag is from the high beam switch leads under the carpet; that is the only location for the dash harness tags. I haven't been into the console yet, but if I do, I'll post that pic as well. - Skip

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2024, 08:26:31 AM »
Vetteskip,

Bernie

Bernie - the '7663' tag is from the high beam switch leads under the carpet; that is the only location for the dash harness tags. I haven't been into the console yet, but if I do, I'll post that pic as well. - Skip

By "dash harness tags" I am assuming you mean the Instrument Panel tag (i.e., listed as "I/P" on broadcast sheets)?  There are other tags under the dash besides the I/P one.  Some other examples of tags under the dash: (1) 1969 dash to left quarter panel rear lighting harness tag is located next to the parking brake.  (2) There may be a tag (unconfirmed as of yet) for courtesy light wire.  (3) An air conditioning harness tag would be under the dash.  (4) Forward speaker harness may have a tag (unconfirmed).

Bernir
Black Custom Interior

vetteskip

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024, 12:37:37 AM »
I've been pulling Camaros apart for 40 years, I have never seen this marking. My car is an original X33D80 car, on the left underside of the rear spoiler is this marking. Appears to read M 6-4. If you have a marking like this, or any factual information, I'd love to read your reply!
-Skip

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2024, 04:43:03 PM »
Very cool pics Skip.

I have an 05A Norwood build X33 LeMans Blue RS Z28 that I purchase back in 1995 and spent 4.5 years restoring. The car had just over 45K miles when I bought it. My original and dated coded fuel tank, and the top side of the interior heater core box, both had "63" markings with an orange grease marker.  My firewall had numerous grease marker codes stains in the sheet metal, behind the blackout paint.  Among the markings were "D8" for D80 spoilers, "X3" for X33, "10" which I assume was for N10 dual exhaust, and "2X" over by the large round hole for the heater core blower motor.  When I get home from work this evening I will post a few photos.

As I read the Echoes of Norwood book on the history of the Norwood, OH assembly plant, it mentions how broad cast codes and sheets were used and communicated throughout the plant.  A body build sequence number was used daily, starting with 001 each day and continuing thru the number of cars built that day.  That number must have been "broadcast" thru the plant and the line workers numbered certain parts ready for the matching body number car coming down the line. Using a simple 3-digit number was much easier to see versus reading the print on the body or chassis broad cast sheets taped to the front window.  I have seen the same 3-digiti number marked on the lower front valance panel and on inside surface of the spare tire in the trunk. However, I am not sure why fuel tanks and heater core boxes were marked as they are standard component used on any '69 Camaro.  I understand the spare tire because rim/tire were designed for a particular car coming down the line.

The original color of the bottom side of my floorboards looked identical to yours...primary gray in appearance with black speckle overspray. My floorboards were NOT painted satin black as the current Legend  judges mention they like to see. I have pictures from numerous survivor '69s with floorboards that have the appearance of 'light gray primer" color (from the baked phosphate body prep process) and only black with some overspray from the firewall blackout treatment and along the floorboards if the car received blackout on the lower door sills below the spear trim.

Love seeing your pictures!

Dave

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Today at 12:57:15 AM »
JohnZ describes the process in detail. http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Kurt S
CRG