Author Topic: Ignition Coil Bracket Finish  (Read 82 times)

Buzz1967

• View Profile
Ignition Coil Bracket Finish
« on: Today at 07:19:21 AM »
Hello Friends!

Can someone tell me what the correct finish for a '67 ignition coil bracket is? Is it bare metal or is it grey oxide? And while we're on the subject - who does show quality grey oxide plating? I'm ready to send my parts off to get them refinished and so I'm wondering if the coil bracket needs to be sent off too.

As always, Thanks a bunch!
Buzz

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Ignition Coil Bracket Finish
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:21:13 PM »
Originals I've observed  have a galvanized appearance. A dull clear zinc can grit u somewhat close.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:10:45 PM »
 Both my '67's have the typical crystalline galvanized look. For gray phosphate finishing I would use some place local or even buy the zinc liquid and do it yourself because it is very easy to do. And it can come in handy when you discover a bolt or two that you 'forgot' to send out.

Mike
67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Under restoration

Buzz1967

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:37:00 PM »
I just realized I had never consulted the component finish charts I have from Jerry M. and the Camaro Nats. Both say the coil bracket are finished in silver cadmium (which I believe mine already is.) Well. . . . egg on my face.

Although, to save this thread I still need a recommendation on a plater to get my parts grey phosphate plated. I just don't think I want to attempt to do it myself. I plan to do the hood latch and hood hinges which are sizeable pieces.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:10:39 PM »
I just realized I had never consulted the component finish charts I have from Jerry M. and the Camaro Nats. Both say the coil bracket are finished in silver cadmium (which I believe mine already is.) Well. . . . egg on my face.

Although, to save this thread I still need a recommendation on a plater to get my parts grey phosphate plated. I just don't think I want to attempt to do it myself. I plan to do the hood latch and hood hinges which are sizeable pieces.
Buzz, do a search for palmetto phosphate and read some of the threads explaining how easy it is! And confused since you plan on doing large parts which needs both large container and solution. If you have a glass bead cabinet and can boil water you can do those small parts with ease.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584