Author Topic: Tire age vs. risk  (Read 7380 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Tire age vs. risk
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
 Having completed the restoration of my '67 I thought I was spared the cost of replacing the Coker Wide Ovals that I bought in 1987 and have about 3000 miles on them because they looked perfect. Near the end of the restoration, when the motor was installed and the car was able to drive, I took it up the block a few times as well as the occasional pulling out into the driveway. To my surprise I noticed three of the four tires that looked perfect otherwise and with a lot of good thread, began to developed minor side wall cracks. Shallow at first then getting deeper. I kept the car garaged and always at the proper inflation.
  While debating about spending $800 on getting new tires this year (I was planning on next year) a friend in the car club got into a bad accident with his trailer whereby the tire wall suddenly blew and he lost control when the trailer jackknifed. His knee is messed up pretty bad. The tire on his trailer was 8 years old (per the date code) though the treads looked fine. Out of curiosity I did tire research and learned a lot about age and tires regardless of how good they look. Well...that made up my mind to spend the $800 and get a new set of Coker red lines.
  I figured I would pass this experience along for those who may not know about tire age vs. risk.

Below are links to the NTSB site with some very interesting reading and I have learned a lot about tires.

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?sort=0&order=0&CurrentPage=1&EndRow=15&StartRow=1&docketID=57010&txtSearchT=

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Tire age vs. risk
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
A very significant factor re this subject is the tire's exposure to uv rays.   I've some older tires (much older) that have been stored in a 'dark basement' for many years which still look perfect; no, I don't plan to take them 'racing' or even high speed interstate driving, but they do not show any cracking...

Exposure to UV rays are one of the primary factors in rubber aging...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 01:43:32 AM »
I agree Gary. Also trailer tires with the weight and stress on them are even more suceptiple to cracking and blow outs i have learned. Also there is different ratings for trailer tires specifically. I would have to look at my current trailer but i think the tires are D rated.

I have used original tires on many cars with no issues. If they are in a mild climate and not exposed to UV then it seems like they have been fine. Any kind of cracking in the side wall especially at the correct PSI and I would be leary of them.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »
Bottom line:   If you are going to drive your collector car (or any car) with OLD tires at highway speeds..   it's much better to be SAFE than be SORRY!  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Bottom line:   If you are going to drive your collector car (or any car) with OLD tires at highway speeds..   it's much better to be SAFE than be SORRY!  :)

Excellent advice. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
 Currently I have no confidence in the tires that are mounted now. Too bad because while in storage I did rotate the tire positions so as to avoid flat spots and the car was in a garage most of its life. But, like our skin, it dries with age ;-)
I ordered a new set of red lines. What I spent on the resto, plus the safety of myself and passengers, $800 is well worth the piece of mind.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
This is even more prevalent here in Arizona.  Or any of the South Western states for that matter.  Constant sunshine and hot black top wreaks havoc on tires.  There are always blown tires on the roads around here, especially in the summer time.  I see at least 2 or 3 a week.  Under inflation is another issue that creates more heat.  I always run near max cold air pressures per tire recommendations and I check them frequently here.

I don't go more than 5 years or so on a set of tires, whether they look good or have tread life left or not.  I blew a left front on my truck, tire was only 3 years old. Literally exploded at 70 mph with no warning signs.  Did $3500 damage.  A year later I blew a trailer tire, left rear.  Those tires were just 4 years old.  I replaced all four tires in both incidents.    I also prefer to spend more money and buy good quality tires.  I prefer Michelins but they don't always make the size I need.    Anymore, when I'm planning a trip, I'm usually buying a new set of tires before I leave.

ALWAYS carry a spare too.  The way tires let go here in Arizona, a can of fix-a-flat isn't going to get you back on the road, lol.

Something else it's taught me.  I don't care to keep pace on the highways with people.  Most go 85+ here.  70 is about my limit.   When you have a left front go at 70, it's a butt puckering experience.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
I just bought a new trailer. I plan to buy some tire covers. A friend in the tire business says that they help with the UV damage. The tires on my Z are 17 years old but have never been left in the sun more than cruises, look great and ride great. Some off brand tires that came on one of my other cars looked good were so hard I threw them away.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
I keep my trailer tires covered.  I agree it's a good idea to protect from UV rays.  Didn't help mine in the one instance I posted however.  The heat gets to them too.  Black top is hot with the sun beating down on it, causes belt separation when the tires overheat.  When they decide to come apart, they literally COME APART.  If I could post pictures I'd show a few of my escapades.

No way I'd trust 17 year old tires, even if they look fine. 

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
Good reads Mike.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
Too many "tire bargains" are years old when sold "new".
Check  those DOT dates!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
Hi Crew, yes, yes, yes. Totally agree with all those who say 'When a tire is even just approaching it's 'use-by' date, get rid of it!'
I also have a Toyota Hilux Surf 4 x 4 [my Sherman Tank!!] 4wd tires are not cheap to buy, but will last you practically a life time, but there lies the problem, tread wear can well and truly outlast useful life span. My tank developed an annoying shake at about 50mph, similar to out of balance, I took her to my local Bridgestone Select in Malaga and my go-to man spotted the problem right away, one tire had a slight bulge on the inside shoulder, so I got him to get me a set of Desert Dulers.
Upon picking the vehicle up, I got him to show me the inside of the lumpy tire and it had started to de-laminate on the inside!
Still good tread, but falling apart rather badly on the inside.
So yes, learn to read the dot date [if you don't already know] and junk the tires when they have reached their use-by date. Tires, brakes, suspension and steering are not to be second guessed. Your life, your babies life and that of other road users, will only end in tears if something goes south at a bad time.
Guys and gals, this concern for car/road safety cannot be overstressed!! I'm also the proud owner of a GM-H VL Calais LE by HDT [Holden dealer team] and frequent the Brockcommodores forum to discuss all things that are HDT related, and we've even lost lives to people getting under a car that was not adequately supported by body stands  :(
And yet again, because I have the surf, I'm also a member of Toyotasurf.asn forum where we disuss all things Surf [+ related vehicles]
On that forum they had made in bold text everyone aware of a recall/upgrade that the manufacturer had issued which related to the drag link [relay rod as Toyota called it] which was to address an error in the manufacture of the relay rod in which the knuckle joint steering box end could break off leaving the driver with no steering!!  :o This had actually happened to one of the forum members, but fortunately he was on a reasonably level sealed surface with no other vehicles around and was able to bring his vehicle to a stop without further chaos!!
Many [if not all] of these Toyota Surfs were imports into Australia [as is mine] and the recall should have been fitted by the importer at their expense.
Upon checking my Surf, I couldn't find any of the identifying marks that were applied when the recall was fitted and it looked like my rod was the original, not the upgraded rod.
For a miserable AUD100.00 I got my man at Scarborough Toyota to get me another rod as per the recall kit, I couldn't care less who was suppose have to fitted it at who's expense, I just wanted to know that I wasn't going to loose steering while cruising the open road, or at close quarters to other freeway traffic.
Cheers,
Rob
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

anything