Author Topic: Clear Lake, IA  (Read 26155 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Lake, IA
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 07:03:35 AM »
Paul, Pat and others,

Surf Ballroom report:

Tonight the evening started with Johnny Star and the Meteors, a local rock n' roll act.  Then the original Jay & The Americans were reunited tonight and will start touring again.  They were fabulous, tore the house down.  Next was a DJ out of FL, Mike Harvey and his Super Gold Sock Hop.  The Surf is special when it comes to 1950's rock n' roll.  That is why we come out here every year along with many from out of the country.  There must be 200+ people here from England.  The weather sucks but it's worth the trip, and the locals are very friendly.  We have been coming for years.  

I am taking plenty of photos which I will post when  get back.

Had dinner again tonight with Jimmy Gilmer, George Tomsco and the Fireballs.  Jimmy Gilmer and Stan Lark (bass player) were hot rodders back in the 1960's.  They told me about buying new Corvettes.  Both bought new '63s and '64s.  Stans '64 was a 327FI car.  I'm sure that John Hinckley can relate to these cars.  The Fireballs had great cash flow back then because their hit record, "Sugar Shack" was #1 in the US, and the biggest selling record of 1963.  I told Jimmy Gilmer about the car prices today and he almost fell over!  Jimmy and the Fireballs are part of the big concert event tomorrow night.  Others on the bill are Barbara Lewis, the Cleftones, Dale Hawkins, Buddy Holly's original Crickets and Bobby Vee.    

It's late and have to get to bed.  Great reading this thread.  Didn't know I would start something with a bunch of Camaro people.  It's great!

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 07:08:45 AM »
Also, for the Clear Lake locals on this thread,

If anyone knows about the farm fence lines being changed during the 1960's, can they shed any light on the actual plane crash site?  Many of the British people would like to know where the real crash site is.  Has to be a way to figure it out without having to go up in a plane with Jerry Dwyer.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 07:11:37 AM »
Pat,

We are sitting with two local women at our table.  I will ask about these names tomorrow night.  There is about 3000 people here so it's hard to move around and socialize with the loud music.

Jerry

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 07:38:05 AM »
This is how you get to the crash site as I remember it. Go to the barn and get some bailing twine off a straw bail. Tie it to the harness of a horse and swing up on her bare back. Grab a fishing pole and head out across the pasture. Don't scare the dairy cows or they wont produce that day. Follow the creek about a mile untill you get to a small pond that is stocked with northern pike. If they dont bite then jump back up on "Princess" and follow the pond around to the far side. There you will find a dirt/gravel road that you can gallop Princess on. When you come to a tractor entry to the corn field turn in there and ride back untill you come to a small clearing. That's the best I recall hope it helps :)
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »
Hey, we found the plane!

Thanks for the directions,

Freezing in Clear Lake, high of -5 today!

Burrr.......

AFONEFE

• Daily driver in background
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the history of Buddy Holly to my high school class.  They now know the some of the roots of real rock and roll.  They kept on asking alot of good questions after your talk.  Plan on Becky and me treking back out to C. L. next year.  I sounds like it was a litter warmer last year when we were there.  Stay warm!

Glenn ;) 
69 Z/28 X-77
"CHP, this is Chris can I help you?"

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »
Does the name Carroll Anderson ring a bell? At least I think that was his name. He was the manager of the Surf that night.
He was the last one to speak to the ones on the plane and shut the door of the plane. I knew him for years as the carpenter/handy man at our outfitter camp in Canada. He had a nail pouch on that said Clear Lake, IA on it and I mentioned Buddy Holly. He told me he was there, I said, ya right. he then took me aside and told me what he recalled about the night. He set up the flight, he told me everything. This was 10 years ago and I will never forget talking to him. A few years ago he was on the VH1 special talking about it.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »
That's right.  He was the manager.  There are photos of all of the managers from the Surf in the lobby.  His photo is there and he was interviewed in the PBS Buddy Holly special, Reminiscing.

Jerry

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »
I talked with my mom the other day but she could'nt remember any real details of the morning my grandfather went to the crash sight except that he left by snowmobile with the sheriff and others including the Kemmers who owned Kemmer Marine and most likely the snowmobiles? They took Buck along because he knew the area but the crash site was further back from the end of his property. I would say it was about four miles straight back North of the farm that is now that busy intersection at I35 and Hwy 18. That group supposedly was the first to find the plane but I've never seen photos with snowmobiles in it? The area she described was where I would have been as a kid playing and riding horses. I didnt pay much attention to property lines in 1972 and fences were few and far between in those days. All I remember is a swath of grass that was fairly long that I could ride into what was a corn field at that time. It was about two or three feet deeper than the surrounding ground and therefore not planted. It did have one spot that was an obvious round hole. The only reason I found it was that the horses didn't like walking on the gravel roads and I was instructed to stay out of planted fields and away from the livestock. My mother did give me a friends name that inherited that piece of property through marriage. She is still in C.L. and maybe next year you could give her a ring if you have time?
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 10:41:20 PM »
Sounds like a plan, we will be back!  My wife and I enjoy this event. 

I am leaving for Donahue, IA next Thursday for another car inspection.  Back to the cold.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »
Nice write up here:  Opps, how do I post a photo here?

Jerry

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
Jerry, click on the "Additional Options" link just below the box you type in when you compose a reply, then browse to your photo.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 11:25:45 PM »
  hi everyone, i am the person jerry drove to dell rapids south dakota to see!  what a great experience, i recommend it to all who want to know the facts.  looking for info on engine vin 426203 it is supposed to be here?  thanks again jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
only 125 KB, that's very small.

Jerry

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »
Jerry,

If you use a third party host site to post your pictures, the photo could be larger (and actually posted on the page).  I'm using photobucket.com.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:26:26 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything