Author Topic: Exhaust resonator...what does it do?  (Read 9251 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Exhaust resonator...what does it do?
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:23:54 AM »
Looking at the factory exhaust systems for 69 Camaro with big block.  I see that D&R classics offers a system with and without a resonator.  So, what is a resonator and what does it do?  Does is make the system sound deeper? 

I was looking for an aftermarket setup such as Flomaster for a 69 Camaro with big block with exhaust manifolds but all I can seem to find are systems for headers.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit that will work with factory exhaust manifolds? 

Steve

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust resonator...what does it do?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
The resonators are two small mufflers about 16 to 18" long that go in each exhaust pipe before the crossover muffler.  I beleive they were used in late (around May of 9) 69 Camaros with dual exhaust.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »
The resonators took some of the "rrrap" sound out of the exhaust.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »
If you are looking at flowmaster systems why not just go to your local muffler guy (but not the national chanins stores and someone who has a reputation) that sells Flowmaster adn habve them build the system for you.  I know that flowmaster even builds an H pipe style muffler that maintains true dual-ness (is that a word?) and is performance oriented while fitting into the factory space for teh muffler.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
1st Gen Camaros used resonators since the start of production in 1966; they are clearly shown in the Assembly Instruction Manual under N10 for all 3 years. 67-68 Z/28s had "deep-tone dual exhausts" which was no more than a section of pipe that eliminated them. Any other N10 car had them.

As for 1969 the vague wording of the chambered exhaust recall created the impression they were a late add-on. The undercarriage photos of the Berger #3 ZL1 [02D N608193] show it was built with resonators and a transverse muffler; OE systems were welded together. Until supplies caught up 69s planned for chambered had a transverse muffler system without resonators.

Resonators did a fine job of cancelling noise. A ZL1 with a resonator system is very quiet at idle.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »
Steve,

The resonators do quiet the car down, and depending when your car was built along with engine model will determine what system your car should have.  If you are looking for the best exhaust system that is right on the money and technically correct, then a Gardner is the only way to go.  www.gardnerexhaust.com

Jerry