Author Topic: Cowl Tags from the B-J  (Read 23248 times)

m22mike

• View Profile
Cowl Tags from the B-J
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:31:40 PM »
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl Tags from the B-J
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
I know a good pit bull lawyer, Bruce Shaw.  Specialzes in this car fraud.  Unbelieveable!

Jerry

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm certainly no expert...but how can you tell they are fake tags (other than the newer rivets)....if someone went to all the trouble to create a fake tag...why wouldn't they reproduce the correct rivet?

If this is the case that they are fake and not disclosed as fakes, there should be hell to pay.
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:11:30 AM »
I'm certainly no expert...but how can you tell they are fake tags (other than the newer rivets)....if someone went to all the trouble to create a fake tag...why wouldn't they reproduce the correct rivet?

If this is the case that they are fake and not disclosed as fakes, there should be hell to pay.

It is accepted practice on this board and others not to openly talk about the specifics of repop tags.
Email me and I will talk with you there if your interested.
I am no expert on the law part of this, but I do not think messing with cowl tags carries them same weight as messing with Vin #'s.
Having said that most real car people do not like the repop tags at all. That's why we as a group keep reporting and posting them. Same goes for the real tags for sale on places like E Pay.
                                                      Mike
                                                                                 Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

rsatz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »

It is accepted practice on this board and others not to openly talk about the specifics of repop tags.
I am no expert on the law part of this, but I do not think messing with cowl tags carries them same weight as messing with Vin #'s.
Having said that most real car people do not like the repop tags at all. That's why we as a group keep reporting and posting them. Same goes for the real tags for sale on places like E Pay.
                                                      Mike
                                                                                 Mike

But it may be fraud selling the car as a Z if if never was a real z

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 01:15:49 AM »
The fake tags are getting very common at the auctions.
I have asked these sellers about them being on their cars in some cases. -
The response is one of 2 things they either lie right to your face, or claim ignorance.

Ususally they lie, and walk away mad at me for knowing.

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »

Actually, that makes sense now that I think about it.  I was just curious how best to spot one...I'll send you an email.

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:10:38 AM »
Too bad BJ needs to sell fake cars. They are just perpetuating the fraud. Ignorance of the "law" is no excuse.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 05:48:28 AM »
We all know that "fake" cars/tags are all over the place, no reason to think that BJ or the other major auctions would be immune.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
Here is an interesting quote from the BJ site

“Bring the worldwide resources of Barrett-Jackson Auction Company to your service with the widest selection of pre-screened automobiles in top quality condition, and at market-relative prices. Barrett-Jackson is also the only auction company to offer an on-site detailed vehicle inspection, available to consignors and buyers.”

With the claim of “ pre-screened automobiles in top quality condition” and “ on-site detailed vehicle inspection” you would think they could weed out the obvious fake paperwork and trim tags.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:09:58 PM »
Here is an interesting quote from the BJ site

“Bring the worldwide resources of Barrett-Jackson Auction Company to your service with the widest selection of pre-screened automobiles in top quality condition, and at market-relative prices. Barrett-Jackson is also the only auction company to offer an on-site detailed vehicle inspection, available to consignors and buyers.”

With the claim of “ pre-screened automobiles in top quality condition” and “ on-site detailed vehicle inspection” you would think they could weed out the obvious fake paperwork and trim tags.

"Pre-screened" doesn't mean "originality-certified"; B-J (and the other houses) make it very clear that they depend on the description and documentation provided by the consignor. There's no way they could have enough "experts" on staff with deep knowledge of every kind of car that goes across the block to "certify" any car as genuine. Bidders are supposed to know what they're bidding on, although it's obvious that many don't - they just "want the car".
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Quite a few of the novices assume that because a car is selling at Barrett Jackson,
That means it is a quality piece.

It carries a celebrity status to say "purchased at Barrett Jackson" (to some)
However, it doesn't mean anything, except that BJ's thinks they can make money.
They don't really care about the pedigree or reliability of the cars, or sellers descriptions - just that they will sell.

And, That is their business to bring together buyers and sellers - for a commission.

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
What I don't understand is why GM doesn't go after the "entity" who is making the fake tags?  >:(  Theres a copyrighted name on those fakes....or am I mistaken and they have permission to do this?   

Thanks to Mike for "enlightening" me on how to spot a fake.   :)   I vow to not discuss specifics of these on any board.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:18:06 PM by MMMM_ERT »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 11:14:51 PM »
Here's another thought.  One dealer was caught selling a car that was bogus a few years ago.  Actually sold it twice at BJ, and the second time the car was sold, BJ had to buy it back.  What I don't understand is this dealer is still allowed to sell cars at the BJ auction.  This year, all of the cars for sale from this dealer had ad signs that looked as if they were written by a lawyer.  When dealers sell cars like this it ruins the auction and the reputation.  If BJ wanted to maintain a good reputation, this dealer would have been banned from selling.  Bottom line it as always, it's all about money and that's it.  Period!

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but the valve covers on the car in the pic appear incorrect as well. Aren't original 69 Z covers dull cast aluminum, not shiny/chromed like the pic? 4 out of 5 supposed original Z's I see have these shiny (later vintage?) valve covers.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.