Author Topic: "DZ" grease pencil mark  (Read 15181 times)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: "DZ" grease pencil mark
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »
In John’s Flint engine assembly article, there is a pic of an HE engine code - L48 with powerglide - sticker (placed on the back of passenger side valve cover). So they were using engine broadcast code stickers on at least some small block engines in at least part of the 69 model year. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
Here is the best I could get in photoshop... I enlarged and then manipulated hue saturation and lightness...
Here is the best I could get in photoshop... I enlarged and then manipulated hue saturation and lightness...

Thanks James.  There is definitely something there.  It doesn't appear to be the dual racing stripe deal I've seen before.  If it's letters my imagination isn't working.  What are your thoughts??

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:40 PM »
I seem to remember a picture of a as delivered car here or ? that was to show paint overspray on the exhaust manifolds. I remember it having grease pencil marks on the head.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
On 69+ engines, the alternator would be in the way if they put it on the right side (like 67-68). So much harder to see in a fully dressed engine.

So if I understand the assembly plant process, workers on the engine dress line pulled the correct engine from racks of engines which had come from Flint/Tonawanda based on paper work for the next vehicle on the line. At that point they would need to see the engine code. Once they start the engine on the dress line, wouldn't it be locked in sequence to go into the correct car? So once the engine is fully dressed, there would not be a need to see an engine code because the engine was already locked in sequence. Sound reasonable?
Jimmy V.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
I seem to remember a picture of a as delivered car here or ? that was to show paint overspray on the exhaust manifolds. I remember it having grease pencil marks on the head.

If it's out there I'd love to see more pics.  James' picture is a great example of what is an original 69 photo, but I can't figure out what's on there.  Bill's car had the stripes on the head that he took great photos of.

Daytona Z

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »
In 2004, I took these pictures of a low mile CTB coded LT1 engine removed in the early 70's from a wrecked car. Although a 70 motor, you can clearly see where the plant has written the engine suffix on the sides of the block, and where they have placed two lines (forming an X) on both cylinder heads. The front had the X on the drivers sides as well but hard to see as the paint held up better on the front than it did the back. These were shared with Greg Roberts on the Nova site after they were taken.

Like I said...these are from a 1970 build but it does tie together with earlier practices from the preceding years.

Just an obsessive-compulsive first gen car guy...

did I mention I like three pedals in a car?