Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

JL8/J56 or HD Service rear end setup question

(1/4) > >>

369:
Hello all......I'm putting together a disc brake rear end with the "fixed mount" J56 corvette style calipers. I'm shooting for .005" axle end play......I know this will require custom c-clip thickness which will change as the posi clutches wear..I'm trying to get an idea of how often this will need to be adjusted or reset on a road car. I figured if anyone would know it would be someone here. Any guesses?

-So from what I've read, Penske would change his rear end every race so no issue here...

-the lesser funded guys...How often was this checked/changed? Was the pad knock back tolerable enough to make it thru a season?

-what about the JL8 owners.....I can't see this being a "dealer service" adjustment every other oil change or anything right?

Ok thanks guys.....Tyler

Jon Mello:
No idea, really. Probably not a lot of miles put on the car and not a lot of heavy abuse so you probably could go a couple of years with no problem. Just a guess.

69Z28-RS:
I've a good friend who ran a service rear in his '69 Z28 in SCCA and later IMSA races.   He's told me that he had the rear end gears changed very often, before essentially every race, depending on the track and the speeds anticipated.  I don't recall him saying anything about having to adjust for brake wear...  I'd think there would be sufficient pad thickness to not be anything close to 0.005" tolerance... The pressure on the sides of the rotor should be essentially equal even if one pad was wearing faster than the other.

firstgenaddict:
With the fixed mount calipers yes there is plenty of tolerance for axle end play, if you are worried about thickness of the C clip then set up every thing with rotor and caliper sans pads, insert different thickness C clips and check where the rotor and caliper are in relation to one another... I think you are going to have .375+ inboard and outboard of the rotor.

369:
10-4.....thanks for the input. Im starting the assembly here this weekend so we'll see how it goes!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page