Author Topic: ebay 69Z buyer beware.  (Read 10545 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: ebay 69Z buyer beware.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:34 AM »
A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

X2

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
You were right Ed.  It didn't take long.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152713578344?ul_noapp=true
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »
Yep. Possible shill bidding? I reported the old auction and invite others to do the same.

To report shill bidding:

Shill bidding is where the seller uses another account to bid on their own item to increase the price and they should be reported.
On the listing page which you are reporting you need to click on the blue Report Item,(above the Item number and to the right of the Description and Postage tabs.
Click on the arrow on the Report Category box,(it will bring up a drop down menu).
Click on: Listing Practices
Then click on the next box: Reason for Report and select Fraudulent listing activities.
Then on the Detailed Reason select seller is using other accounts to inflate item price.
Then click continue.
Then once the box with the listing number comes up,click send report.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:20:36 AM by bertfam »

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »
Thanks Ed and John, I will report.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »
Actually, if you look at the new auction it appears to ALSO have shill bidders? I've reported that one as well.

However, I HIGHLY doubt ebay will do anything. They don't seem to care anymore.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:21:00 AM by bertfam »

HarrisFD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 11:45:17 PM »
"The fact that he photographed and showed those questionable items perhaps indicates that he purchased the car that way, and had no personal knowledge of the issues... restamp or not.."

Rule of thumb: Whenever a seller starts "playing stupid", be doubly suspicious!
Project: 07B SS, RS, L35, M20, J52, QJ Triple Black

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:46 AM »
How do you know they are shill bidders ?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 02:29:44 AM »
Charley, while there's no definitive way to detect shill bidders, a big hint is the feedback the bidders have. Someone with zero or very low numbers is a pretty good indicator. Especially with a seller that also has low numbers.

In this case, the winner of the original auction had zero feedback and as stated above, the car was back on ebay a few days later. This is a very good indication that the seller is using shill bidders.

Even in the last auction, there were four bidders with very little feedback. While the winning bidder had 567 feedbacks, the price of the car may have been driven up by shill bidding.

If you look at the winning bidder in the first auction (i***r), it sold for $47,000 but came back again a few days later. If you look at the second auction, _***e  went up to $38,300 but didn't meet reserve. However, if you look at the seller's feedback, it sold to r***c (who didn't bid in EITHER auction) for a best offer which was under $45,500. Not impossible, but strange none the less.

But like I said, there's no way to know for sure, but it's a HUGE red flag when people with little or no feedback start bidding. And of course, all of this may be on the up and up, but it's not what I would call the "norm" for ebay auctions.

As an aside, HERE'S a link regarding the car when it was on ebay back in 2015. The ebay auction no longer has the pictures, but the important ones are still in the TC thread.

And as always, this is just my opinion and in no way does this reflect the opinion of the Camaro Research Group.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:05:17 AM by bertfam »

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
I am aware of the almost no feedback bidders probably being shills or scammers but that most recent auction had mostly high feedback bidders.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
I am aware of the almost no feedback bidders probably being shills or scammers but that most recent auction had mostly high feedback bidders.

And like I said, it could be on the up and up. However, when I posted that comment above, the low feedback bidders were the only bidders. But they may have been "newbies" trying to get a deal. That happens all the time too. Not so much on auctions with reserves, but mostly without.

HERE'S ebays shill bidding policy, and HERE'S some good reading on how to detect shill bidders. And unfortunately, HERE'S an article on ebays "relaxed" policy regarding shill bidding.

Ed