Author Topic: Looking for information BEFORE I start  (Read 8277 times)

JamesHickman

• View Profile
Looking for information BEFORE I start
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »
I've got a 69 Camaro that codes out as a SS350 has the X11 call out on the tag. Front power discs, quick ratio power steering,front sway bar, 12 Bolt 3.08:1 rear, 5 leaf spring pack, A/C car. Car is White with an SS hood, no rear spoiler,black side stripes and black rockers. Interior call out is green.  My questions are
 1) Did Chevy "tu-tone" interiors? The carpet, kick panels, dash pad and carpet on the door lowers is green. My steering column is green. The rest of my interior, door panels, headliner, sail panels, package tray and seats are Black with hounds tooth inserts. I also appear to have bucket rear seating with shoulder belts (the seat bottoms are two piece with carpet exposed between them)
2) Where does a guy find replacement "woodgrain" as my dash has it across the entire dash and the piece by the passenger side has started to rust.
3)The tail panel on this car has been blacked out. Was this legit?Or someone with a rattle can thought it was cool? I got the car with a 396 "dealer replacement" engine (per block #) and a short shaft TH400 with no tag. The guy I bought if from purchased it from owner #2 with it in it and had been told "all big block cars had the panel blacked out" ......mine being a SS350 I'm doubtful its factory. 
Any help is greatly appreciated

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Looking for information BEFORE I start
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »
Welcome the CRG!
1)Sounds like someone had the interior re-done. I am not aware of a green hounds tooth interior. White/black, Yellow, and orange were the only choices.
2) I think there are a handful of reputable Camaro parts outfits that sell the pieces you require.
3) Only factory big blocks had the tail panel blacked out from the factory, BUT it is your car you can restore however you want.  ;)

Now how about some pics of your car for us? (we love seeing pics, especially the before pics) ;D

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:41:58 AM »
X11 does not equal SS350.
1 or 2 fuel lines?
What's the stamping on the axle? Tag pic?
Kurt S
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »
James posting a good picture of the trim tag will help these guys give you accurate information on your camaro.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

JamesHickman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
Here's the tag...a little crusty but readable.
ST69 12437 NOR257254BDY
TR722          50 50 PNT
    02A               X11

JamesHickman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
Wrecked in 89, brought in from under a tarp to begin build. New subframe going in as original got torn up in the wreck. Floors, qtrs.."before" pic and pic of wood grain on dash.

JamesHickman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:04:04 AM »
It has two fuel lines

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:41:40 AM »
Good luck on your project and yes this is a good place to go before you start. I have learned alot from crusing this site and have found friendly fellow enthusiasts willing to help answer questions. I too have a 69 project. Welcome aboard.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 05:09:43 AM »
James, the dash woodgrain pieces are all reproduced. The quality can vary, and if you live anywhere near a vendor's business, it's of benefit to be able to inspect it before buying, especially to be happy the simulated woodgrain pattern is a reasonable match right across including the ashtray and glovebox pieces.
Original woodgrain trim pieces turn up from time to time on ebay, CL and forum classifieds, but often because the owner wasn't happy with it and opted to replace.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
James, Good luck on your project!  Trim tag code for the interior is 722, Deluxe medium green, with comfort weave seat covers.  So the woodgrain is part of the deluxe interior package.  Likely a previous owner changed the seat covers to black deluxe when the comfort weave covers ripped.  Green covers are avail new, it is likely your seat frames are original, so check the stamped date codes in the headrests and seatframe (pics of the codes on my seat resto post http://www.camaros.net/forums/23-interiors/391289-restoring-your-front-bucket-seats-69-standard-shown.html).

Tim is on target with the woodgrain info.

Looks like your car was option loaded!  Vinyl top, air conditioning, deluxe interior, 8-track stereo multiplex, PS, PDB. Nice base to start with!

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
James what are your plans for the camaro moving forward, restore to original Dover white with Green interior?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:42:12 AM »
Except for the vinyl top I'd really like this car.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:06 AM »
What vinyl top? ( 50 50 = White no vinyl top)

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 04:25:41 AM »
Kevin W said vinyl top. If not then it's perfect.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 04:32:42 AM »
"perfect"... you had me laughing. Is there such a thing?  (just messing with you) ;D

If memory serves there is a COPO Camaro with a similar color combo of white with a green interior.

At least James can run the "Sport striping" and break up the white a little.  :)