Author Topic: Alternator/Water Pump dates  (Read 5541 times)

rjprice

• View Profile
Re: Alternator/Water Pump dates
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 12:29:49 PM »
All,

I have a '69 Z11 with engine build date of T0409.
Would an early April, say April 2 alternator be ok for this engine? Too late?
Same with an early April water pump?

So I found a D89 (April 8, 1969), 1 day before the engine build date.  Is that acceptable?  Could they cast, machine, assemble and paint a water pump on the 8th and install it on my engine on the 9th? Did that happen?

I think it would be reasonable if the foundry was close to the engine plant, which I assume it was. The assembly would be simple and not take long to build. The water pump would be shipped to the engine plant and installed and painted with the engine assembly.

Not sure where the plant was. Were these water pumps manufactured at Tonawanda?

Red955i

• View Profile
Re: Alternator/Water Pump dates
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 02:33:19 PM »
I have an 03B pacer which I bought in 1975 with 20,000 miles on it. Its been sitting in a garage since 1986. I have never changed the pump or the alternator (or many other parts). The Tonawanda engine was assembled March 5 and the Alternator is 9 C 5 (same day). I guess someone prior to me could have changed it, but what are the odds and who cared about dates back then?  The water pump is a 7170 pump with a "T" which I have always assumed meant Tonawanda. It is dated B-11-9.  The intake (7184) also has a "T" on it and is dated B-28-9. If you look at these 7184 intakes you will see the "T" version is different. The others, which I believe are Flint castings have an oil tube hole (early) or a closed circle where they filled in the oil tube hole. The "T" intakes do not have this. Just my .02 cents!

anything