Author Topic: Hot start, electrical issues.  (Read 5727 times)

myblue67

• View Profile
Hot start, electrical issues.
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:00:45 AM »
1967 RS/SS, all of a sudden having stating issues when hot. Turn the key and nothing, absolutely nothing, no noises, smells, etc... Turn the key a few times and get ignition. Funny cause I had similar problems about 40 years ago with my first camaro and never figured it out. Where to start? Neutral safety switch, ignition switch, a relay, battery ground to firewall?

mikefam

• View Profile
Re: Hot start, electrical issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 02:55:27 PM »
I struggled with the same problem and there is no simple answer. Here is a link to my experience and a positive outcome. The car has been starting fine now in all kinds of weather for months.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=13449.0
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »
What is probably happening is that there is not enough power getting to the starter solenoid to activate the electro-magnet and energize the starter motor. The problem is that it an be very difficult to find where the problem is.

You need to use a volt meter to trace the circuit from the battery to the starter solenoid. Your problem may be as simple as a weak battery or it can be one or more poor connections in the circuit.

You need good basic understanding of DC electrical circuits to troubleshoot this and I don't know your level of knowledge. So  before getting into the details of tracing the circuit from end to end there are a few things that you can try.

Clean the battery cables.

Try jump starting the car when the problem is occurring and see if that helps. If it does then it would suggest that your battery is weak.

Check that the negative battery cable is connected t the engine block. If it is connected to the body of the car then make sure that you have good ground straps between the body and the engine. I connected my battery cable to one of the water pump bolts and then put ground straps from the engine to the body in a couple if different spots.

Check out my link above and I hope it helps, Mike.

68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

myblue67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:55 AM »
Just thought I would document that after checking a dozen suggestions, I simply noted that the draw on the battery was significant on initial start. The battery was only charging back to about 60% capacity and proved that it was in those cases when I would turn the key and get nothing.  No more cheap Duralast stuff. Bought a real battery from NAPA. No problems hot or cold for last couple months.

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
For me it was a ghost that I chased for a year on and off.
As mentioned above I thought it was wiring as I added a jumper from the solenoid that I could jump to the battery when I acted up to eliminate the stsrter or battery.
Worked fine every time. So issue went on. Then resuming my quest I again tackled it and found it was my solenoid breaking down under the heat. Thought I had eliminated that but guess not. Since change no issues at least on that subject.

Brad
RSSS

Gabby4244

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:32 AM »
I had the starter rebuilt by someone who deals in just that. Never had a problem again ! good luck.
1969 396 SS Rag Top

myblue67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:31 AM »
Thanks Mike, bc69, and Gabby. Yes the problem returned. Crap. Starts right away when jumped. But gonna go through the starting circuit and check connections. ...and probably change the solenoid too. If anyone has a manufacture recommendation Ill take it. Beginning to think it is all re-manufactured junk anymore.

Bad mood day... Got some crap brake parts from "The Right Stuff" what a joke.

Thanks again.

myblue67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
In the for what it's worth column I changed the starter and selonoid and problem fixed. Took the old starter apart and found the brushes were disintegrated and looked like a rats nest of wire. Amazing that it worked periodically. Also solved my " torque converter cavitation " sound on start-up....previous post. Must have been the starter brushes rattling around as it was falling apart.

anything