Author Topic: Recommendations for Painting Metal Dash  (Read 6454 times)

gwp4

• View Profile
Recommendations for Painting Metal Dash
« on: August 28, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
Hi all -

I'm restoring my 1968 Camaro with a black interior.  I want to keep it as stock in appearance as possible.  I'm starting to paint the metal portion of the dash and wonder if anyone can give me recommendations.  I've heard that SEM paints are good.  Would the SEM trim black be the best match for keeping the car stock or would SEM black lacquer be the better choice?  SEM trim black seems a little dull in the finish and doesn't resemble the original, which had a more glossy look. Also, would using a spray bomb be good or should I use a spray gun?  Finally, should I first use 400 grit sand paper to get it smooth, prime then use 600 grit on the primer before applying the lacquer paint?  Many thanks and look forward to the help. 

Pacecar

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for Painting Metal Dash
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
Top part of the dash should be "suede finish" SEM makes a product that doesn't do a bad job - it is their textured paint.  Front part of the dash could use their trim paint or something a bit glossier

70z28lt1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
I have researched this a bit and ran across this for the most exact match:

PPG DIA9317 Black Textured

DMA358----283.8 parts----Black
DX265-----121.6 parts-----Flattener
DMA364----81.1 parts------Texture
DMA375----20.3 parts------Blue

This is acrylic lacquer which is what the factor sprayed.

Figure about $100 for a pint, if you can find a store to sell it.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
TCP Global provides that paint matched to the year and color , their website will give you the exact color code, and they can even provide it in a spray can if desired, I have used their suede paint for several dashes with success.

70z28lt1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
Just got a quote from my local jobber, Ohio Auto Color, for 119.70 plus tax for a pint of the PPG Duracryl 9317, so it is still available but as expected pricey.  A pint I think would be enough to do the dash and the inside heater box which also uses this color.

gwp4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:16 AM »
Hi 70z28lt1:

That's very interesting.  I looked on the back of the 1968 Ditzler/PPG Colors paint chip sheet and the correct black acrylic lacquer for the metal dash is DIA 9266 semi gloss (S.G.)  DIA 9317 is listed as a flat black on the paint sheet.  I purchased a quart of 9266 black acrylic lacquer from a local jobber here in Northern Virginia and it cost $210.61.  The PPG formula as listed for the 9266 is the following:

DMA358 - Black - 855.8 parts
DX265 - Flatting - 151.8 parts

I'm trying to keep the car as stock in appearance as possible.  Wouldn't the 9266 with the formula above be the correct semi-gloss color for the dash?  I'm not a paint expert by any stretch.  Many thanks. 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »
I use SEM Texture Coating for dash tops and package surrounds, and purchase it by the quart. Then I topcoat it with various products I stock. Their aerosol will work but it is not easily controlled like gun spraying. PPG has a Matte Color Band Deck, and a Bus Color Deck from which gloss levels can be chosen. Products and spraying conditions affect gloss levels. Lacquer prices went through the roof a while ago; urethane and other products are more economical and outperform it. 9266 is nearly identical to SEM Satin Trim Black (30% gloss) and much cheaper than lacquer. Buy their new Euro Jet Trim Black which is blacker than the old Trim Black. Available in matte, satin and gloss. It is very easy to use, dries fast and provides and excellent finish. It is a 1K product just like lacquer so don't waste money on lacquer.

Some just use flat black and dry spray it to achieve the texture.

Gloss levels fall into ranges. Semi-gloss is glossier than satin. Many refer to satin as semi-gloss, which is incorrect.

anything