Author Topic: convertible to coupe  (Read 6253 times)

mash68

• View Profile
convertible to coupe
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 68 camaro which was originally Coupe and then been converted to a Convertible. i am not sure of that but the vin number of the car shows it is a coupe. I want to turn it back to its original Coupe, what are your recommendations? I found the top roof from goodmark but the quarter back left and right sides were not included and they are attached to the right and left fenders . They have told me to get a body shell to do the braces first or weld one before i fix the sheet metal as there is no support beneath the metal sheet.
i just have a convirtable camaro and want to convert it to a coupe. What are the parts required? i can buy a new roof and quarter panels, but how will i get the braces near the rear side windows and other braces to fix the roof on top of it.

4b316

• View Profile
Re: convertible to coupe
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:55:13 PM »
Can you see where it was cut to be a convertable?How about all the pumps and lines and wiring?The windsheild brackets?Wasn't there a difference in the frame supports?That seems like a lot of work to me,I would look into it and make sure VIN number hasn't been changed

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
Check to see if the partial vin matches the full vin. More info here: http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#PartialVIN

Good luck,

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mash68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »
4b316, thanks for the reply. it looks like an original convertible but the vin is there and i wonder how it could be changed since it is like a stmp in the body. is there any chance to change it? why some one would change it do you think.

i will take some pictures and show it to you as soon as i get them so you can have a look.

Tom, i have not looked for the partial vin# yet it would take some time to remove all of the staff where the p.vin is located.

I think the only way to change it to its original is by getting a roof cut from a donor camaro or firebird 67 to 68 and then fix it on the camaro. i have not been lucky yet to get one but i am looking. let me know if you have any good junk yard link.

thanks again

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »
One reason to change the vin would be to recreate a better car that has been totaled. Like a Z from a 6 cyl, etc. Another would be to register a stolen car.

You may be able to read the partial through the cowl. After all these years lots of thing may have happened.

Good luck

Tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mash68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »
tom,
i will do the check up and hope it is an original convertible although i might love the coupe too with its aggressive look.

thanks

anything