Author Topic: It's Coming...  (Read 27497 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: It's Coming...
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »
All fun brother.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 11:30:32 PM »
Cool. What a fun driver in the making.

Hope the paint will just be cleaned up, up a little. Love the red paint patina
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
This one won't be built to be a driver..  It'll be a racer. ;)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 03:07:16 AM »
Well after viewing your videos, your hole shots can only get better...
and then you can just blame it on the car ;D

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
This one won't be built to be a driver..  It'll be a racer. ;)

So you'll be looking for someone to *drive* your racer for you???  :)  :)   :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
Ouch..  When's the last time one of you guys actually finished a project and then attempted to take it down the track.?.   :o

Btw that wasnt all driver error....  Ok yeah well most were... :-[

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
I was to lazy to go back to your other thread, but did your dad ever run that car at the track? if so what time did he run?

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
Think just a little friendly teasing ;)

So last week my buddy comes up to my desk and hands me his slip: .014 light, 7.98, 170+, broke out of the 8's, making rounds. Seasoned dragracer. Has been doing some 1/8th mile at other tracks, guess what next pass: lifted at the 1/8th, lost the round. We laughed, but get it? And I have quite a few tails from the strip...

I will say from experience 4 gears are fun on the street, short life span on a slicked car at the strip. Considering how quick the swap is, might wanna build an auto just for events. A trans brake really launches nice. If not interested, have the munci beefed up for racing.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Which car Austin?  The car isn't gonna be a full out race car but it will be inspired by the drag racing of the day.  If I took everything that was said to me seriously I would never post on these forums.  I'm not mad or upset by any means but I'm also not afraid to talk shit back or speak my mind among friends.  People I don't know I usually just smile and listen.  ;D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
I was just curious if your dad ever ran that green car at the track, and if he did what was his best E.T.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »
IIRC low 12s high 11's at 1 teens to 120.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
This is going to be FUN! Does it start Jan 1st?
Know if your doing it its got to be something well done. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
Thanks Chick.  It wont hold a candle to your butternut but it'll be the best I can do.  I plan on doing EVERYTHING myself (minus engine machining work).  It'll probably take 20 years but I'm ok with that as this car is something special to me and my father.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »
Now The Story Behind The 68 Z.

This car was brought to life on a Friday back on December 22nd of 1967.  It was shipped from the Van Nuys plant to Capitol Chevrolet in Austin, Texas.  From there the information is uncertain presently until I was able to find registration history dated 05/10/1972 were it was registered to a gentleman in the armed forces by the name Donald A Dixon when he was stationed at Kelly AFB.  At some point either before or after Mr. Dixon's purchase of the car the Camaro was traded in and sold through Armstrong Johnson which was a Ford dealership (now Lief Johnson) in Austin Texas which the car still has a dealer emblem on the tailpan.  From there the lead goes cold again until it arrives in Nashville, TN in 1975 on a used car lot where the previous own Randy bought the car and was told it was a trade-in from a sheriff. 

Randy was a senior in high school and was excited to have the Camaro.  1975 was also the year my family moved to Lebanon, TN and immediately; being the Camaro fanatic that he was, dad spotted the Camaro and eventually got to talking to the young man about his new purchase.  Randy graduated and began his college studies at MTSU (parking sticker still on the bumper).  Realizing; like many youth, that college was not for him he had acquired a position at the United States Postal Service in Nashville and began working.  Now by late 1979 to 1980 Randy had purchased other cars as daily drivers and he decided he was going to restore the red Camaro.  One night I can remember my father getting a call from Randy and stating that he had started the disassembly of the front end and noticed someone had screwed a plate onto the firewall and when he removed it there was a big rectangular hole in the firewall!!  Randy was upset and looking for advice as to how to repair the hole.  My dad kinda chuckled and said boy that's the hole for a cowl plenum air cleaner!!  Needless to say frustration turned to excitement.  As the weeks went on Randy had pulled all the front sheet metal off and stripped the interior.  Soon Randy started to become sick and would become deathly ill for long periods of time and doctors could not figure out what was wrong.  He would spend months in the bed or in a wheelchair not able to walk or move.  My father and I would go over and check on him and shoot the shit and ask if he wanted to sell that Camaro yet.  It almost became a tradition to this.  As time went on Randy would regain his strength and have a few months of getting better and then fall back into the same sickness.  I remember one visit we went to visit and I was probably 16 or 17 at the time and we were talking cars like usual and I blurted out Ill trade you my 69 Camaro after I do the drivetrain swap for the 68 Z straight up.  Randy just smiled and said that's an interesting offer but I am gonna have to pass.  We laughed and kept talking cars and bs'ing.  Finally after almost 2 decades of being ill he finally had enough and went to another doctor and in a matter of days was diagnosed as being allergic to wheat.  It was insanity..  All that time and no one could figure it out.. 

By this time it is 2005 and Randy is back to work and getting out.  We get the call that he has finally decided to sell.  Needless to say the following weekend the Camaro was in its new home.  Dad had wanted to see this car restored for many many years and was extremely excited to finally be able to have the opportunity to do so.  I can remember later that year in 2005 I got a call from my dad and as we talked he said I need to ask you a serious question..  I thought to myself this is odd..  I said ok whats up?  He asked, me and your mother are redoing our wills and I need to know which car you want..  I said I really dont wanna talk about it and whichever he wanted to give I was ok with..  He said no now I need to know; I wanna here you tell me what which one you want..  I said well....  If I were to choose I think you know which one I would want.  The 68 Z.  You & I wanted that car for many years and it will be amazing once its restored.  I could hear him smile through the phone as his response was I knew you would say that..  Sadly the next year he lost his life to a massive heart attack.  His main goal was to finish the 67 and sell it, the 68 Firebird and a few other cars and have the 68 L78 car (green car) and the 68 red Z.  Like I mentioned previously I just sold the blue 67 a couple weeks back and I now have the green L78 car (after traded with my older brother).  This car is more than just a car to me.  It is a symbol of the love and respect a son has for his father.  The goal is to make him proud of a car we would enjoy.  I said it before, it may take me 20 years to finish this car but it will be dedicated to my dad; Carman Cook as it was the one car that he desperately wanted to restore and never got the chance.  I will put my own twist on the restoration as I know he would approve but this one will be for him. 

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 12:03:58 AM »
It will be a good thread D. Dad is the reason I cant put the flat hood and oe exhaust on mine. Calls those builds "old lady cars" lol. Hey, I get it, he beat the pi..out of that 302, and it stayed together. 20% for me, 80% for him. Luckily didnt lose him to cancer over the winter, when its done, want to let him roll it in, open headers. No deadline for you, enjoy the build.  He does get on me how long it is taking though. I think going on 5 years now, on a car that presented great with factory paint. Try to explain its a high dollar model to me. When I want to cut corners, it gets covered up and put away. Your car will be phenom when its done ;)