Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

ZL2 Hood Grommet

(1/2) > >>

Z28Project:
I was looking at the available repop hood grommets that the solenoid wire goes through, and they are nothing like I remember them being back in the day.  They just have a big hole in the middle.

Did GM change to that style at some point later on? 

Does anyone make the original style or know any availability of originals?

John

Z28Project:
Here's the repopped grommet that everybody carries:

It is nothing like the original grommet that came with this hood back in the day:

There seems to be very little information or pictures of the original style grommet.   Just wondering why the grommet was reproduced so inaccurately??

william:
Back in 1969 that grommet was probably a common off the shelf [COTS] part supplied by McMaster-Carr or the like. It's known as a 'witches hat' grommet because it was molded closed; the tip was trimmed to match the size of the wire.

What they now sell is as close as it gets; I doubt that's a reproduction. Even if you could find the original style there is probably a big minimum buy.

KevinW:
Hmm, this looks like a perfect item for me to protoype a correct molding.  I wonder what the demand would be?  But at $8 a re-pop, it would be tough to recoup my time put in. I have not done a molding project since I did the RS washer valve plastic part. :)

william:
The retaining prongs are part of a steel stamping so that part would also have to be duplicated. The rubber was molded over it. Rubber doesn't bond to untreated steel; rust is visible in the photo of the original. They didn't hold up very well.

The ZL2 grommet is similar to the speedo cable grommet [3792008]. The steel part may be the same; maybe you could obtain a supply of those and strip off the rubber. My guess, the part sold today is the speedo cable grommet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page