Author Topic: Convertible Boot  (Read 2133 times)

feastersss

• View Profile
Convertible Boot
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:58 PM »
When I purchased my car it was missing the boot and would like to purchase one, but I have a couple issues...1, I've only looked at the ones the Heartbeat City carries & 2, when it is installed on the car does it clip to the stainless steel moldings, and if so, does it scratch those moldings?
'68 RS/SS BB L35 Convertible..., Born w/drive train, R1 paint,  red interior, 725 Deluxe interior, white power top
8N325767....Looking for POP

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Convertible Boot
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:54 AM »
The nylon coated clips attach to the molding. When I use a boot (car shows only)  I wipe the molding and clips first with some water to clean, then I'll use a very tiny amount of Vasoline on the edge of the clip that "snaps" to the outer molding edge. No marks left behind.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Re: Convertible Boot
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
Camaro Central has nice American made ones, great color match and tough stitching, Distinctive Industries makes a beautiful one, in fact the one I like the best for reproduction boots. PUI also makes them, as does TMI, in original and mod styles.

You can also have a local upholster make a custom one not using the factory style clips. There is a thread over at Team Camaro where someone had one made that uses no clips or alterations to the pinch-weld molding. I have also seen ones where marine style canvas snaps were mounted on the molding to replace the factory clips.

Like a lot of people - I only use my factory one for photos, and the reproduction for when in parade mode or someone is sitting on the boot. The Vaseline is a good tip. I don't have my pinch-weld molding on at the moment so clips are mute for me.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator